R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Should I buy a ODBII scanner?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 03:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 R500
Should I buy a ODBII scanner?

I'm a handy guy, I've fixed many a car in my day. Even with limited resources and minimal reference I've been able to diagnose a couple of the issues I've run into with my R.

Problem is, I can never exactly pin-point THE issue. Usually, with past vehicles, I'd have an issue, do some reading, diagnose the EXACT problem, troubleshoot to confirm, then DIY fix it myself or take it in and EXPLAIN the problem and solution to the mechanics and viola they fix, I'm done.

The new paradigm I have begrudgingly accepted is; I have a problem, search the forums/google for anyone that may have some similar problem, find almost nothing, give up, take it to the MB dealership for diagnosis ($150-180/hr), hope my warranty will cover whatever they find, if I'm lucky pay only $100 co-pay, if not, oh well, it's a Mercedes.

I have no idea if the mechanics would even listen if I had the answers before they started poking around. So I guess I'm asking, should I buy an ODBII scanner? Will it actually point me in the right direction if I decided to troubleshoot and DIY myself? Or is this just another one of lifes pointless, pissing in the wind, exercises?
Old 07-30-2014, 08:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 ML350, 2006 SLK280
The usefulness of a ODBII scanner is mixed, to be honest. Yes, it certainly will give you any codes you have and this will help you narrow down the issue. Knowing the codes will also help you find info in these discussions. However, most of the time you will still go to your mechanic for the fix since the electronics on these engines in complex and the computer a mechanic has will give much more info. For me, about 1 in 10 CEL issues are something I can fix (like you I am very handy but am not a car mechanic).

Given that you can get a scanner for very little money, I'd recommend going for it. If nothing else, it helps you be a bit more informed when you go into the shop with a problem.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:33 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
None
Originally Posted by rostrom
Given that you can get a scanner for very little money, I'd recommend going for it. If nothing else, it helps you be a bit more informed when you go into the shop with a problem.
+1
These scanners can be had for little next to nothing. I have hand tools that cost more.