R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

R350 - Wheel Speed Sensor Cable

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R350
R350 - Wheel Speed Sensor Cable

Hello again. According to the codes I need to replace my right front wheel speed sensor. I ordered one from the dealership ($25) and when the new one arrived I compared it to the old one. Guess what? The new one had different style attachment points AND at the part where it mates to the "brake wear cable" the head was not 90 degrees meaning it did not mate to the brake sensor. I thought that maybe I needed to order a brake wear sensor cable to match the new speed sensor.

The dealerships head mechanic thought I was some DIY idiot and said this couldnt happen until he saw the parts and confirmed that there was no way the new part was going to mate with the old brake sensor cable OR that the two new cables (brake and wear) would attach to the car. At this point the dealership is just staring at their feet.

Has anyone seen this on the R (or other) and how was it resolved?
Old 08-01-2014, 02:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R500
I think you got the wrong thing. The wheel speed sensor is not $25. It doesn't connect to the brake wear sensor. Should be a single bold hole to attach it to the spindle near the wheel bearing, on one end, and then the other is the connector that attaches to the connector on the other end.

I have a 2006 R500 so maybe its different, but judging by the mechanics reaction, I'd say you have the wrong part
Old 08-30-2014, 08:54 AM

R350
head mechanic had no clue

On the 2007 the front wheel speed sensor cable and the brake wear cable mate and form a double plug. They then plug into a receptacle under the wheel well and a retaining clip holds them in place. The two plugs are a mate and if they don't match to each other they can not plug in. The new wheel speed sensor cable does not mate to the old brake cable. I ordered new brake and wheel cables at the dealership (head mechanic picked the cables) and when the parts arrived we tried to mate them. Guess what? The cables do not mate. One has a head that is 90 degrees and the other looks like 100degrees. The head mechanic just shrugged his shoulders and said. "I guess Mercedes will have to do some research". They have no idea what to do.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:40 PM

e320
wheel speed sensors are about $150 each and easy to replace. google a pic to ck what you got