whine in power steering pump low idle only

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R350
whine in power steering pump low idle only

Hello everyone,
I'm new here and have a little problem that I'm going to fix myself, but need some advice. So my 06 r350 has a whine from the PS pump, when my RPMs are high it doesn't make any noise, but when turning as very slow speeds its loud whining. I have checked the fluid level and placed a sheet under the car....no leak and no loss in the reservoir. Before I replace the pump itself I want to see if anyone has any opinion what they think.
I have seen other forums that say the seal between the reservoir and pump go bad, also the lower hose disintegrating..... with my specific symptoms do these sound like it could be them instead?
Thanks so much!

Last edited by totallywirednyc; 10-26-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:08 PM

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts
2005 C240 2011 R350
what sort of whine? Harsh cabernet? Smooth buttery Chardonnay?
Old 11-01-2014, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R350
definately

A CVS/rite-aid brand "chateau da casa".
Old 11-02-2014, 05:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 577 Likes on 486 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Originally Posted by totallywirednyc
Hello everyone,
I'm new here and have a little problem that I'm going to fix myself, but need some advice. So my 06 r350 has a whine from the PS pump, when my RPMs are high it doesn't make any noise, but when turning as very slow speeds its loud whining. I have checked the fluid level and placed a sheet under the car....no leak and no loss in the reservoir. Before I replace the pump itself I want to see if anyone has any opinion what they think.
I have seen other forums that say the seal between the reservoir and pump go bad, also the lower hose disintegrating..... with my specific symptoms do these sound like it could be them instead?
Thanks so much!
Typically these don't go bad unless you've lost fluid.
Have you stethoscoped the whine the the ps pump? Directly underneath it sits the ac compressor. A failed ac pulley bearing will emit a godawful whine. You can at least eliminate the ac pulley as a cuprit by short belting the motor with a 6pk2315 serpentine belt, should cost you around $15. if it still whines from that side the get a replacement ps reservoir and try that. If the pump is sucking air due to a small leak in the reservoir or or around the oring, it will also whirr. Thats a $60 fix. If that no fixy then go ahead and get a replacement pump.

Last edited by Max Blast; 11-02-2014 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Troubleshooting steps