R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Headlight issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 R350 4Matic
Headlight issues

Just bought a 2011 with xenons and the LED DRL strip (in place of fog lights)...

When I start the car, things are fine, but even with the headlight switch on the OFF position, the headlights come on when driving through shade. Once they come on, I can't do anything to the lights with the switch - can't turn them off, can't switch to parking lights, and my LED DRLs turn off. Dealer service advisor kind of gave me the brush off like I didn't know what I was doing and that's how it's supposed to be. Something is obviously wrong, but not sure if it would be the light sensor or the switch itself.

At the same time, my rain sensor is wacky. No rhyme or reason to the wiper speeds, and switching that switch over to any other setting doesn't seem to do anything.

Are the light and rain sensor the same sensor like in other makes?

I'd like to go back to Mercedes loaded with some ammo...

Thanks!
Old 11-11-2014, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Which dealer is giving you the runaround? I can maybe give you some contacts I have at MB dealers in this area. Send me a PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 R350 4Matic
I've been reading LOTS of posts in the ML forums on this same problem. It seems that all of the 2011 MLs with the LED DRLs have the exact same problems I do.

The only way to get the headlight switch to work correctly (ie, OFF meaning OFF instead of auto) is to turn the DRLs off in the settings. Ridiculous, since one of the reasons I searched for an R with the lighting package was to get the LEDs as DRLs!!

The ML owners report that MB gives them all the same answer I got at Barrier, which was "they are working as designed", and the 'O' doesn't necessarily mean OFF - then why does it mean that on my wipers? Funny that they work properly when the DRLs are turned off, yet not when they are on. Guess I have to live with it.