New Owner with minor issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 R320 CDI
New Owner with minor issues

Hello all.
we recently picked up a 2008 r320cdi. i wasn't too excited about the purchase but i have to say that i am really impressed with the car.

we bought it from a dealer and bought an additional powertrain/drivetrain warranty through 200k miles.

the only issues we are having are the rear tail light is out and i don't think its the bulb, i think its the cup that the bulb fastens to. are those easy to acquire? dealer purchase or after market?

also, i started noticing oil spots in the garage. i pulled the both skid plates underneath, the rear skid plate was soaked with oil. it seems to be the rear seal where the engine marries the trans. it is dripping on to a sensor (probably why we get random codes), is this an issue of separating the engine from trans and replacing a gasket? is this why it was sold off?

last one i promise, is there a phone module that can be purchased and placed in the center console? the car doesn't have blutooth, but there are all the parts for a phone. has anyone done this?

ok i lied, last one. is there an updated gps dvd? mine is from 2008

any help will be appreciated.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:47 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 R350, 2012 Azera
Oil leaks--- check the cam covers on back of cyl heads. There are 3 of them. Edit- just reread thread and noticed your vehicle is cdi.

Last edited by ghenry; 12-02-2014 at 07:17 AM.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:48 PM

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts
2005 C240 2011 R350
Lots of good questions.
for the oil leak also check the Positive crankcase ventilation hose connection to the turbo intake.. it has an orange preheater that sometimes leaks. But check with the dealer as it may all be under the extended warranty. BTW to remove the plastic engine cover you really should remove the metal shroud with the 2 bolts on each side above the strut. Pull forward then remove the plastic engine cover.

Why do you think its not the bulb? Once you replace it you have to turn key off and restart for the system to check all the bulbs again. Are both left and right lights inoperative or just one? Is there power in the harness? If both are out then it may be a problem with the SAM or harness. If the later is the case you will get error codes (DTCs). There are TBS on this.

As for the phone, depends. You need the "Mercedes Bluetooth Puck - B67875878 - MHI BT Module - OEM Cradle Adapter" that fits in the center console. You can get from dealer or on ebay. This assumes that you actually have the telephone sam module! Would be rare that it did not come with your car. Perhaps only the cradle was removed.

Yes you can get an updated DVD. Sometimes there are offered for sale here. originals or copies or from dealer.