R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Suspension Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 R350
Suspension Questions

Hello, 2008 R350 here with 90K and it seems a little loose in the front end. I have REAR AIR ONLY and am looking to replace anything related to the safety and handling of my vehicle (within reason) to make some improvement. Mercedes dealer says everything is "fine" when I had my last service but I know better. Also, there is an occasional click / clunk that I believe is strut mounts. I'm planning on doing at least all 4 shocks and two rear air bags from Arnott. Should I consider front springs and control arms as well? What would it take to get a "new" feeling ride. Thanks for any suggestions before I start ordering parts.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:27 AM

2008 R350
I was thinking someone would have a suggestion or could mention common failed parts.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:51 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2006 R350
Honestly, Michael, I would listen to the dealer... I would do just the shocks on the front.

They may call the fronts "struts" but that is not what they are. They are really coil over shocks. All the top plate does is hold in the shock... it isn't the upper suspension pivot point like a strut suspended car.

Mine feels a little loose in the front as well. Being a 2006 with the OEM shocks I know they need it. I keep inspecting the front end on mine fully expecting to find stuff needing replacement and am constantly amazed at how tough the components are. Tie rod ends, upper and lower ball joints, all of them are still tight. We do hear a slight click in the front as well. Normally when pulling out from an intersection making a right. It appears to be the front half shaft.... but no vibration or any other symptoms. I was going to replace it but told the wife to keep feeling for any changes. That was two years ago and the sound hasn't changed.

My guess is four new shocks and rear air bags and yours will be just fine.

Let me know where you get the front shock from.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:14 AM

2008 R350
Thank you for the response, I was hoping to get away with simply doing shocks and bags. The click noise on my car is not when turning but from bumps and especially uphill driveways and entryways to businesses when the suspension really has to articulate. I do not know for sure what that would be but have read that other Benz models get worn shock mounts. I would hope the tech could spot that when doing the shocks, fingers crossed.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:23 AM

06 R350
Have you thought about the ball joints?
Old 02-07-2015, 06:39 AM

06 R350
I'm new to r class ownership. Mine has 95k under its belt ,and all seems ok. I've been doing research on the suspension issues with the rclass, and have found the most common to be the air suspension. I've been looking at the parts available for replacement, and have found these to be the most common, airbags, shocks, ball joints, a-arms w/new bushings, and sway bar end links. Since these are the most readily available, and common in the aftermarket world, you can kind of self diagnose. If the noise from the front is a louder "knocking" type noise when the suspension articulates then could very well be a ball joint. If it's more of a clicking type noise could be the sway bar end links. Just some food for thought. Good luck. Let us know what you find out.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320 4matic wagon 2000, R320 CDI 2008
We have the same setup. coild spring up front and airbags in rear for self leveling only. When I bought mine last year with 80,000miles, I was concerned with the front struts too. The bounce test doesn't work with our cars, unless your struts are completely worn out. Because mine would level off and right away after trying to bounce it. However, it dives on corners, and going over wide expansion joints on the highway, I could sense the wheels are bouncing repeatedly-- not the firm planted feel. Anyway, everyone is right that our suspensions are very durable and ball joints and control arms hardly wear out. 20k miles later, I went ahead and changed the front struts. BIG difference. No diving on corners, secure firm planted feel over potholes. Nothing else was changed.
My advise is doing all four shocks. No need to replace air bags unless they are leaking. I know, I have plenty experience dealing with airbags. I still own an audi allroad. If you have too, Arnott is a good company to deal with. They honor their warranties aside from heaving good products.
Good luck with your car.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:41 AM

2008 R350
at Mercedes right now getting rear Arnott bags, 4 Bilstein shocks and front Bilstein coils + alignment. Hoping for results, car is a very sloppy handler even in parking lots.....
Old 03-20-2015, 11:59 PM

2008 R350
Installed and drives much better BUT the front end has more wheel gap than rear now. Are there spring spacers on these cars?
Old 08-15-2016, 03:50 PM

R350
What should I expect to replace front struts on 2008 R350? I replaced the air bellows on the back but, the front end is really sloppy (134K). Ball joints are tight, had them inspected and the struts are not leaking but worn.

The local dealer quoted me $923.74 for each front strut and $877.00 for labor. That seems outrageous but not unexpected. The Bilstein parts on Parts Geek are less than $200 each. Has anyone ordered the parts and had a local shop do the work? I have no tools and no skills for this. Other than that the car is a beast.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:05 PM

2008 R350
Originally Posted by rsalvo
What should I expect to replace front struts on 2008 R350? I replaced the air bellows on the back but, the front end is really sloppy (134K). Ball joints are tight, had them inspected and the struts are not leaking but worn.

The local dealer quoted me $923.74 for each front strut and $877.00 for labor. That seems outrageous but not unexpected. The Bilstein parts on Parts Geek are less than $200 each. Has anyone ordered the parts and had a local shop do the work? I have no tools and no skills for this. Other than that the car is a beast.

Get the bilsteins, my car handles eay better now. That mercedes quote is ridiculous
Old 08-15-2016, 04:25 PM

R350
Can anyone confirm that these are the proper shocks for an R350, base model?