R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Cleaned my headlights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 10:15 PM

Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts
2012 ML350 Bluetec, 2015 GL350 Bluetec
Cleaned my headlights

Feel that my halogen headlights are not bright any more that I can't see clearly in evenings. Already did a good polish work and using 2 65W bulbs. Did some research found that the inside can be cleaned so started with the job.

Removed the headlights...not an easy job but can be done in 20 minutes. No need to remove anything else. Remove the 2 bolts facing up. The 3rd bolt can be accessed from the fender liner. Remove the 3 lower clips that hold the liner and then use a flat head screwdriver, pop the liner out of the bumper's edge then push it towards the wheel with one hand and hold it. At this time you would have enough space to slide a wrench in to remove the 3rd bolt using the other hand. Remove the top 3 bolts that hold the fender then you would have enough space to lift the headlight out.

After removing the headlight, open the large cap then you'll see the low beam bulb holder held down by 4 T20 screws. The outer 2 are pretty simple to access but the inner 2 are really tricky. I used a T20 bit, an extension and a hand turner to remove them. Thankfully my hands are small enough so I can slide my hands in to turn it. After removing the 4 screws you can get the low beam "assembly"(holder plus the lens you can see from outside) out but it needs some maneuver. Then the lens can be cleaned(a lot of dust..turned from grey to clear). I used cotton *****+invisible glass. Also you can slide your arm into the big opening and clean the inside of the lens as well. After all make sure it's dry then put everything back.

Sorry no pics but it really enhanced the vision a lot. I'll probably do another cleaning for the taillights as well.