Steering feel / tramlining

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 R350 4Matic
Steering feel / tramlining

Hey all-

I have a 2011 R350 that I bought CPO in November, with the AMG wheels. The steering has always felt a little "off" since I bought it, but thought it was just me adjusting to a different vehicle. The steering continues to feel off, but the dealer has checked alignment and suspension and can't find anything.

It's almost like the car is adjusting the amount of power steering boost - with no rhyme or reason, or the rack has something wrong. Example - I'll be driving a continuous curve, one where you shouldn't have to adjust the steering wheel, yet I constantly have to adjust the wheel to keep going in the same arc.

Also, if there are any ruts or seams in the road, it's downright scary with the tramlining - extremely difficult to keep it in the lane and all over the road.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?
Old 02-10-2015, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R350
Going to play the devil's advocate here... keep in mind this is a VERY heavy car with a soft floaty suspension. The steering is also highly assisted (engineers have moms/nannies in mind for drivers...). I had a GLK before the R350 (MY2012), and the R350 definitely felt more loose/harder to control.

Since then, I have lowered my car via H&R spring and adjustable links... the ride does lose some comfort, but handling FEEL (pretty sure it does not actually go any faster) is dramatically improved.

Hope this helps and also that the mechanics did not miss anything... don't want to be driving around with broken parts!
Old 02-10-2015, 07:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 R350 BlueTEC
Originally Posted by tmansfield
Also, if there are any ruts or seams in the road, it's downright scary with the tramlining - extremely difficult to keep it in the lane and all over the road.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?
I had this very feeling of bad handling just short after I bought my 4-yrs old R350. Dealer has found one of rear self-leveling levers broken, the ride improved so much after replacement.
The quality of handling deteriorated with time for no apparent reason. I have recently asked my indy mechanic re-calibrate rear-end suspension (you need Star machine for that). Handling quality improved significantly after re-adjustment.

May be this could help you too.

yeah, you tires may also make an impact.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:45 AM

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts
2005 C240 2011 R350
I seem to have similar issuesThis is my second and both up to about 200k Km. never a problem with front or rear suspension... I think

my 2011 front end feels a bit loose steering wise, not precise so to speak with what seems like slack in the center. None of the joints are loose. What could lead to this? Are the rubber bushings on the lower A arms getting worn and weak? They look ok, not cracked or broken...

I dont think I have any rear self leveling problem.. seems to be correct level.. I can check it..

Any suggestions?

thanks
Old 05-10-2021, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,516 Likes on 1,118 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
wrong forum