R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Thinking of a used R350 Bluetec 2011or 2012

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of a used R350 Bluetec 2011or 2012

Hello,
Thinking of buying a used R350 bluetec and have narrowed down to one 2011 and one 2012 and here are a few questions that would help me from the knowledge of the forum and current users.
1. If both vehicles have similar mileage buying 2011 over 2012 will it make any difference as far as standard options? Oh both are Canadian Models.
2. Adaptive Dampning will it make a big differenc if u have it or not? What are pros and cons.
3. Tailer Hitch - assuming factory option is better! Will it proivde brake control of the trailer if the vehicle came from the factory with Trailer hitch. Do they have any antisway controls in the vehilce when it comes with trailer hitch from the factory.
Appreciate any help.
Thanks
Old 04-03-2015, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
S550, R350, GL550, ML63 AMG
I almost bought a loaded 2011 R350 bluetec, but after test driving it next to a regular R350, decided on the non-bluetec. Idles smoother and seemed quieter in the cabin.

By adaptive dampening I'm assuming you mean Airmatic Suspension? Its a HUGE difference over the non-airmatic. definitely recommend getting that option. Love driving in sport mode, alot stiffer and the car doesn't lean on corners as much. You can also raise the car about 2-2.5 inches if you need the extra clearance. You can also lower the car via Star Diagnostics to get a perfect ride height instead of having to buy an aftermarket module or links.

Mine doesn't have a trailer hitch so I can't help you with that one.

Good luck!
Old 04-09-2015, 12:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 R350 Bluetec
I have a almost loaded 2011 Bluetec, def get the air ride...and I LOVE my diesel.

It's got alot of torque, feels real girthy...the idle is diff than a gas engine because it's diesel lol. It's sweet, get it...

I'd maybe like to add seat fans, but I don't know if it was an option in 2011.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 R320 CDI, 2006 smart fortwo cabrio, 1983 240D, 1982 300SD, 1980 300SD
If you are going to tow with it here are my thoughts. Get the factory hitch, most important feature as it integrates with ESP, park distance sensors, lighting and all. An aftermarket hitch is available but the quality is never the same and the electronics are a night mare to work out and very expensive to add on properly/integrated. I don't think there is a factory brake control feature BUT there might be, it might also only be offered on the ML and GL with the higher 7500lb tow capacity.
The adaptive suspension is great, but the repair costs are high and not very easily found on used vehicles it was an expensive option that was uncommon on CDN vehicles. I love it, I wouldn't want to be without it but I fix it myself so I can live with expensive parts once in a while.
11 to 12 model years were similar. There is about a $25k option list on these vehicles, never believe the seller when they say it is "fully loaded", they seldom understand what that means! Figure out what you want first by shopping around and trying out different ones then narrow it down. These vehicles never typically sell fast, usually sit for months on the dealer lots so there is time to shop around. For me the rear entertainment and factory Bi-Xenons headlights were a must, it was a bonus to get all the other feaures ours had when we bought it. Only missing leather, which I am happy to live without as it is harder/more sensitive to cleaning. The fake Artico is tough stuff!
I have towed cars with mine and a double axle trailer full of firewood on rural road situations, it loves to tow! The car is rock solid, plenty of power and very easy on fuel (CDI or Bluetec). If you take your time it will still upshift at 2200-2400 rpms no need to run it hard with a heavy load the torque is ample. The air suspension is a huge bonus when towing, and the back camera is ideally situated to line up the hitch. I have an aftermarket hitch and powered light module (no factory integration).
Old 04-20-2015, 09:27 PM

Thanks

Thanks everyone who responded with information.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by houseofdiesel
If you are going to tow with it here are my thoughts. Get the factory hitch, most important feature as it integrates with ESP, park distance sensors, lighting and all. An aftermarket hitch is available but the quality is never the same and the electronics are a night mare to work out and very expensive to add on properly/integrated. I don't think there is a factory brake control feature BUT there might be, it might also only be offered on the ML and GL with the higher 7500lb tow capacity.
The adaptive suspension is great, but the repair costs are high and not very easily found on used vehicles it was an expensive option that was uncommon on CDN vehicles. I love it, I wouldn't want to be without it but I fix it myself so I can live with expensive parts once in a while.
11 to 12 model years were similar. There is about a $25k option list on these vehicles, never believe the seller when they say it is "fully loaded", they seldom understand what that means! Figure out what you want first by shopping around and trying out different ones then narrow it down. These vehicles never typically sell fast, usually sit for months on the dealer lots so there is time to shop around. For me the rear entertainment and factory Bi-Xenons headlights were a must, it was a bonus to get all the other feaures ours had when we bought it. Only missing leather, which I am happy to live without as it is harder/more sensitive to cleaning. The fake Artico is tough stuff!
I have towed cars with mine and a double axle trailer full of firewood on rural road situations, it loves to tow! The car is rock solid, plenty of power and very easy on fuel (CDI or Bluetec). If you take your time it will still upshift at 2200-2400 rpms no need to run it hard with a heavy load the torque is ample. The air suspension is a huge bonus when towing, and the back camera is ideally situated to line up the hitch. I have an aftermarket hitch and powered light module (no factory integration).
Thanks. I have a looked at a few and there is one 2012 with Airmatic, I mainly love the adaptive dampening which comes when you get the airmatic. The hitch is also factory option still negotiating the price and hopefully will be able to come to a final price this coming week. I had the very first R when it came out it was nice vehicle to drive and that is why I am interested in getting one before I wont be able to find one in good condition later as they stopped selling them.