R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Replacing climate control unit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 07:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R350
Replacing climate control unit

I strongly presume the question is "no", but I'll try anyway. My control unit is faulty (oftentimes temp won't go up or down when you turn the knob). The red light of the wanted temperature will go briefly on, then turn off.

Question 1:
Can I replace it with the fancier model? The one with a LED-like small screen in the middle? Does my 2006 R350 have all the piping and wires for it?

Question 2:
Is there an easier fix for my problem than a replacement?

Question 3:
How hard is it to do it myself? (unit off eBay).
Attached Thumbnails Replacing climate control unit-ac2.jpg   Replacing climate control unit-ac1.jpg  
Old 05-03-2015, 07:18 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2006 R350
Originally Posted by Rodinal
I strongly presume the question is "no", but I'll try anyway. My control unit is faulty (oftentimes temp won't go up or down when you turn the knob). The red light of the wanted temperature will go briefly on, then turn off.

Question 1:
Can I replace it with the fancier model? The one with a LED-like small screen in the middle? Does my 2006 R350 have all the piping and wires for it?

Even though it would fit, the newer cars use different computers and network controls so, No.

Question 2:
Is there an easier fix for my problem than a replacement?

Probably not, with your brief description, I would say you are correct to replace the control unit.

Question 3:
How hard is it to do it myself? (unit off eBay).

I would say real easy, plug and play. Sometimes car systems will need to be paired with new control modules, but probably not. Worse case, you get it in and have to stop in at the dealer to get it programmed in.
See my answers above in red.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R350
Sorry about the "fancier" term, it has some name: Thermotropic, Thermotronic, Thermopatic, Thermopedic, they are a bunch of them at MB

One thing here:
the fancier model doesn't seem to be launched with "newer cars". It was an option in 2006 new R350 as well. What if I find a working used one from 2006, do you think it would work?

What about the standard model? Do I have to look specifically for 2006 ?
Old 05-03-2015, 07:38 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2006 R350
Originally Posted by Rodinal
Sorry about the "fancier" term, it has some name: Thermotropic, Thermotronic, Thermopatic, Thermopedic, they are a bunch of them at MB

One thing here:
the fancier model doesn't seem to be launched with "newer cars". It was an option in 2006 new R350 as well. What if I find a working used one from 2006, do you think it would work?

What about the standard model? Do I have to look specifically for 2006 ?
You are correct... there was an optional system.. but I doubt it would work since it is tied to additional controls for the rear seat contained in the back of the console.

I would simply replace it with the identical unit. Not sure of exact years but pretty sure 06 through 09 should be ok. Just make sure the control unit looks the same and has the same electrical connections on the back.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
It might be able to work with the fancier unit. I know members with the W203 and W211 cars that have the cheaper display successfully replaced theirs with the fancier unit.

I actually have a spare fancier unit for the R-Class. The only issue with mine is that not all five red bars that light up showing you the fan speed work, only the first bar works (the lowest speed setting). Everything else on the unit works. I replaced the one in my car with a new one and it cost me $990 at the dealer. I'd be willing to let this unit go really cheap if you're interested. PM me if you like.

Best,
Nathan