R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Next issue, cigerette lighter

Old 06-09-2015, 10:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Next issue, cigerette lighter

Ok so I am burning the mb forum oil. My cigerette lighter was dead. I looked up the fuse because my fuse allocation sheet was stuck together. Number 46 was blown. I replaced the fuse and plugged in something and pop. So I clearly cant do that again. I would think the dirt socket is to blame.

Is there a walk thru for removing and replacing?

Are more then one socket tied together?

Part number for the proper socket?

Could I remove a socket from some where else to put here where it will be used more?

As always thanks in advance.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:57 PM

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts
2005 C240 2011 R350
wait ... cigar lighter sockets are different in MB! we have 2 of them and have to be careful what sort of adaptor you put in. There is a positive connection that comes up on the sides and can easily be shorted by adaptors that have ground contacts too low down.
Attached Thumbnails Next issue, cigerette lighter-socket.jpg   Next issue, cigerette lighter-plugs.jpg  
Old 06-12-2015, 04:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by efzauner
wait ... cigar lighter sockets are different in MB! we have 2 of them and have to be careful what sort of adaptor you put in. There is a positive connection that comes up on the sides and can easily be shorted by adaptors that have ground contacts too low down.
I see the difference, and I guess I need to ask which one would be better? I still dont think thats the issue. I was using a cigerette bluetooth hands free radio thingy. I could try a usb adapter, but I think its an issue with the socket. It looks a little corroded. I may take it out and look to clean it out.

Any advise on getting the socket out? Does it require taking the whole colum out.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:42 PM

2005 C240 2011 R350
does the fuse only blow when you stick a plug in? if so, its what you plug in, not the socket .
Old 06-13-2015, 11:02 PM
Banned

does the fuse only blow when you stick a plug in? if so, its what you plug in, not the socket .
I only have one more fuse, maybe I will get more tomorrow and give another shot. I will try some thing else to plug in. When idid it a few days ago, I switched fuses and went straight to the socket, plugged in the bluetooth fm and it turned on, and within a few seconds went out.

I understand what you are saying, but I have seen many circuits, both in a house and in a car that work, until you apply a load. I am not saying I would do this but if I put a 30 or 50 in the fuse, it may hold, but that not safe. My thoughts are that a cigerette lighter pulls more then a fm bluetooth. I will put something in that draws no power other then a small lcd.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:45 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2006 R350
Originally Posted by Miyanc
I only have one more fuse, maybe I will get more tomorrow and give another shot. I will try some thing else to plug in. When idid it a few days ago, I switched fuses and went straight to the socket, plugged in the bluetooth fm and it turned on, and within a few seconds went out.

I understand what you are saying, but I have seen many circuits, both in a house and in a car that work, until you apply a load. I am not saying I would do this but if I put a 30 or 50 in the fuse, it may hold, but that not safe. My thoughts are that a cigerette lighter pulls more then a fm bluetooth. I will put something in that draws no power other then a small lcd.
Please pay attention to @efzauner. All the socket does is act like a plug in your house... just like your house, if you short circuit a plug it will blow a fuse or breaker.

Like he said, the Mercedes socket is sensitive to the placement of contacts on an adapter. If the outer contact is too close to the base it will short out and cause the fuse to blow. The socket only draws what the device that is plugged into it pulls.

Another way to test your adapter, is to pay attention to the center bar in your socket. Put your adapter in making sure the outer contacts are perpendicular to the center bar. Then turn it... bet the fuse pops once you twist it and the outer contact hits that bar......

Last edited by josworth; 06-14-2015 at 07:49 AM.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:31 PM

2005 C240 2011 R350
Thank you Josworth for your thumbs up seems we see eye to eye on this one!

@miyanc... its the blue adaptor that is the good one!

Never ever fit bigger fuses! it is ok to replace a 15 amp fuse with a 20 amp, but putting in a 50 amp fuse you are asking for major trouble. Your wiring may heat up and melt the insulation making a total mess of the wiring harness and maybe even causing a fire.

You don't seem to understand the basics of electricity. At this point, do what Josworth suggests: look into the socket and insert the adaptor so that the adaptor ground connection is not touching the socket positive. If you can't solve your problem bring it to a shop.
MB is real screwy on this. I don't understand why they put those positive lugs up the socket.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:55 PM
Banned

Thank you Josworth for your thumbs up seems we see eye to eye on this one!

@miyanc... its the blue adaptor that is the good one!

Never ever fit bigger fuses! it is ok to replace a 15 amp fuse with a 20 amp, but putting in a 50 amp fuse you are asking for major trouble. Your wiring may heat up and melt the insulation making a total mess of the wiring harness and maybe even causing a fire.

You don't seem to understand the basics of electricity. At this point, do what Josworth suggests: look into the socket and insert the adaptor so that the adaptor ground connection is not touching the socket positive. If you can't solve your problem bring it to a shop.
MB is real screwy on this. I don't understand why they put those positive lugs up the socket.
I understand electricity, just fine. If you think a circuit that only fails when something is plugged into it, and that other issues cant be at fault, then maybe I dont. I know you are trying to help. I stated it wasnt safe to add a larger fuse, I was just making a point.

I have not seen the mb lighter, but I bet it looks like the not blue example you were showing. With the larger flange. This is usually done to prevent the entire thing from going to far in.

This is what I plugged in,
http://www.amazon.com/GOgroove-FlexSMART-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Hands-Free/dp/B003PPGOC0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434321242&sr=8-1&keywords=Bluetooth+fm http://www.amazon.com/GOgroove-FlexSMART-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Hands-Free/dp/B003PPGOC0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434321242&sr=8-1&keywords=Bluetooth+fm
My point is if there is an issue with the ground or the socket is partially fouled, then it will hold the fuse until its tested. Or until a load is applied. I wasnt trying to run a refrigerator from the lighter socket.

I had to install a water heater in my moms house today and have been unable to look into this. My wife is out with the car. I will try and see whats up later.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:50 AM

2005 C240 2011 R350
I edited the pictures to explain what is happening. From your statement:

"I have not seen the mb lighter, but I bet it looks like the not blue example you were showing. With the larger flange. This is usually done to prevent the entire thing from going to far in."

you seem to be misunderstanding what issue I am trying to explain. The wider plastic flange is irrelevant to this discussion. It does nothing.

It may not be this, it would be the first thing to check before you open up the center console. Have you tried plugging it into other sockets? You should have more than one! Each has its own fuse.

Do you have any other adaptor to try? The pictures I posted are USB adaptors.

BTW did you try to get the standard Bluetooth puck instead of an aftermarket adaptor? It is fully integrated into the audio system. Very nice actually.
Attached Thumbnails Next issue, cigerette lighter-plugs.jpg   Next issue, cigerette lighter-socket.jpg  
Old 06-15-2015, 02:11 PM
Banned

I edited the pictures to explain what is happening. From your statement:

"I have not seen the mb lighter, but I bet it looks like the not blue example you were showing. With the larger flange. This is usually done to prevent the entire thing from going to far in."

you seem to be misunderstanding what issue I am trying to explain. The wider plastic flange is irrelevant to this discussion. It does nothing.

It may not be this, it would be the first thing to check before you open up the center console. Have you tried plugging it into other sockets? You should have more than one! Each has its own fuse.

Do you have any other adaptor to try? The pictures I posted are USB adaptors.

BTW did you try to get the standard Bluetooth puck instead of an aftermarket adaptor? It is fully integrated into the audio system. Very nice actually.
i see what you are saying, not sure on the gogroove flex. I will have the car tomorrow night and will again try and trouble shoot.

the bt puck will be here today, but it wont stream like the flex will. the flex i use in my work truck so i had it.

i believe the puck and aux mp3 connector will due. i would still like to be able to charge phones with this socket.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:39 PM

2005 C240 2011 R350
where are you Miyanc? anywhere near Montreal?
Old 06-15-2015, 09:05 PM
Banned

where are you Miyanc? anywhere near Montreal?
Nope, near charlotte nc in the us of a.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:22 AM

2006 R350
Nope, near charlotte nc in the us of a.
Hey... I'll be driving through there on Sunday on the way to my Dad's place in Camden, SC.....
Old 06-16-2015, 12:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by josworth
Hey... I'll be driving through there on Sunday on the way to my Dad's place in Camden, SC.....
my inlaws have a place in myrtle beach. I live in union county which is off the beaten path of 77 or 85. U cruising in to camden in the r350?
Old 06-16-2015, 04:36 PM

2006 R350
my inlaws have a place in myrtle beach. I live in union county which is off the beaten path of 77 or 85. U cruising in to camden in the r350?
Not this trip... Our 13 year old is bringing her friend... so that makes it six of us... fine if no one brings anything to wear. Don't have the roof carrier...

We are a family of five. We can get away with the R if we only have one rear seat up and pack cargo around the kids... LOL

We get an extremely cheap rate on a rental... so we will be going down in a Chrysler Town and Country.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:39 PM
Banned

Not this trip... Our 13 year old is bringing her friend... so that makes it six of us... fine if no one brings anything to wear. Don't have the roof carrier...

We are a family of five. We can get away with the R if we only have one rear seat up and pack cargo around the kids... LOL

We get an extremely cheap rate on a rental... so we will be going down in a Chrysler Town and Country.
I see that. We had a toyots sienna before our r350. We could fit 7 with still room. We searched for an suv with a 3rd row, just in case we drove other people. We are a family of 4. I was willing to get a 5 seater. Now we have the r350 and I couldnt be happier. I love this vehicle. I would think about leaving people behind. I hope it holds up over time. We are going to disney in oct and maybe a beach trip. I am looking forward to the trip.

Safe travels.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:03 AM

2006 R350
I see that. We had a toyots sienna before our r350. We could fit 7 with still room. We searched for an suv with a 3rd row, just in case we drove other people. We are a family of 4. I was willing to get a 5 seater. Now we have the r350 and I couldnt be happier. I love this vehicle. I would think about leaving people behind. I hope it holds up over time. We are going to disney in oct and maybe a beach trip. I am looking forward to the trip.

Safe travels.
You will LOVE the R for road trips...

Honestly it cruises at 80 like nothing.... The R is by far the nicest road trip car I have ever had. And I have had some nice stuff....

So, did you ever figure out your socket issue? I seriously think your adapter is shorting it out. The odds of there being another short in the harness are pretty slim.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:37 AM
Banned

You will LOVE the R for road trips...

Honestly it cruises at 80 like nothing.... The R is by far the nicest road trip car I have ever had. And I have had some nice stuff....

So, did you ever figure out your socket issue? I seriously think your adapter is shorting it out. The odds of there being another short in the harness are pretty slim.

I havent had the strenth. Yesterday I was in the car, but that was to drive it from my house to pick up my mothers water heater (yes it fit in my r350), drive it to her house and in 100 plus temp install it. I then came home only to have forgotten milk and went back out. It was 11 before I got back. I am not as young as I used to and in the heat I feel much older.

We did get the bt puck and it is working flawlessly. My wife doesn't have a car charger for her iphone but needs one because the battery doesn't last the day. I have some ocd detailing to do on it this weekend and I will try to check into the fuses. I also need to get more fuses because I only have 1 of that kind left. I would like to save that one in case its needed for something else. With other vehicles I haven't thought about fuses going back to my car stereo installing days. I am hoping, after this I don't have to learn any more then needed about mb fuses. I will keep you all posted.

On a side note, it appears this is the best forum for r class and maybe all classes but benzworld and mercedesforum seem to have no responses. Although I may not know much I hope to keep the r-class forum busy. I figure the more we input the more likely it shows up for others, then the more info we have.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:57 AM
Banned

Using the fuse chart provided by asia in another thread, it says 46 cigar lighter, rear and 2rd row is 45 and front pass is 44. All 3 fuses look good and the cl, fp and 2nd all work, but not the rear. Ironically enough I thought I blew the cl fuse after replacing the last time I checked. We are heading to disney and I was checking to see which I could get to work. The 2nd has worked thru all my attempts. If it was fuse based I would think this one was alone, cl and fp were on another and the rear seperate.

My first question would be the validity of the fuse chart for a 2008 r350. I am not sure why mb would not think to also include the fuse chart for the entire vehicle in the owners manual. Why only in with the spare tire gear, which could easily get ruined or misplaced.

If the chart is correct, what other options are there other then the individual sochets? Btw the sochets are varied in appearance. Meaning the truck and fp look unused while the 2nd row is noticeable in oxidizing or poor care and the cl looks like fluid or oxidation badly.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:36 PM

2006 R350
Next step, if it was me, would be to pull the dead socket and check the plug for power. Simple multi-meter check would be easy enough since the plug will have both ground and 12 volt.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
BMW 340i xDrive 2018 MMPSK silver , Cadillac XT5 2018 silver, 09 R320 BT
Using the fuse chart provided by asia in another thread, it says 46 cigar lighter, rear and 2rd row is 45 and front pass is 44. All 3 fuses look good and the cl, fp and 2nd all work, but not the rear. Ironically enough I thought I blew the cl fuse after replacing the last time I checked. We are heading to disney and I was checking to see which I could get to work. The 2nd has worked thru all my attempts. If it was fuse based I would think this one was alone, cl and fp were on another and the rear seperate.

My first question would be the validity of the fuse chart for a 2008 r350. I am not sure why mb would not think to also include the fuse chart for the entire vehicle in the owners manual. Why only in with the spare tire gear, which could easily get ruined or misplaced.

If the chart is correct, what other options are there other then the individual sochets? Btw the sochets are varied in appearance. Meaning the truck and fp look unused while the 2nd row is noticeable in oxidizing or poor care and the cl looks like fluid or oxidation badly.
Hey Miyanc, I once had a dime stuck in the socket, which I hadn't noticed. Everytime I plugged something, it would blow the fuse.

Btw, there's a GREAT eatery in St-Paul's, NC called Zachary's which is not much to look at, but the food was FANTASTIC!!!

Cheers
Old 09-20-2015, 06:39 PM

Safe travels.
The R class is by far the best long-haul vehicle I have ever owned. Have been to Florida, from Montreal, three times, and three times to Myrtle Beach.

Enjoy your R!

Cheers
Old 09-20-2015, 07:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by taranch
Hey Miyanc, I once had a dime stuck in the socket, which I hadn't noticed. Everytime I plugged something, it would blow the fuse.

Btw, there's a GREAT eatery in St-Paul's, NC called Zachary's which is not much to look at, but the food was FANTASTIC!!!

Cheers
They are all clear, well to be honest I didnt look into the rear, its upside down. Not sure a dime could fall in but maybe someone stuffed something up there. I looked in the rest.

Not sure how far st pauls nc is, but when I rome.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:48 PM

They are all clear, well to be honest I didnt look into the rear, its upside down. Not sure a dime could fall in but maybe someone stuffed something up there. I looked in the rest.

Not sure how far st pauls nc is, but when I rome.
If you're on your way to Myrtle Beach on the I95, you'll come across some signs on the road advertising the joint.

Cheers
Old 10-03-2015, 09:47 PM
Banned

So before I left, I pulled fuses and checked sockets. The pass and cl worked. Problem solved... nope. I go in the car to start the trip to disney and the cl and pass didnt work. The 2nd row still works. I have yet to check the fuses again.

Btw the fuses were fine when I pulled them.

It been raining pretty good so I havent messed with the car. I will check on it tomorrow if I can. Loved it btw. Easily the best car I have had for long trips.