R class not dead?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R350
R class not dead?

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/06/19/m...class-revival/

Since MB is going after everything single niche it can find (GLE, the now rumored All-road competitor etc.) then I guess it makes sense to bring back the R too
Old 06-19-2015, 11:58 PM

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts
2005 C240 2011 R350
I don't get this at all. The R Class is still being manufactured in the USA and MB signed a longer term contract with AM General to build it. They are being exported to China and you can find them on the MB China web site.. there is even an R400 diesel with more power! The are selling them for well over $100K... much more than what they sold for here. Money talks. But it would be great if they reintroduce them to NA.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:38 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2006 R350
Don't hold your breath... The US shunned the R.. In Europe only the short wheelbase did just OK (yes there was a shorter R built). China is a quirky market where manufacturers are just learning what is to be the next big thing. Where talking about a market that influenced the largest manufacturer in the world to keep a stale brand.... yes.... China LOVES Buicks.....

The decision to continue making and selling the R in China is a stop gap. It is profitable and they move more units by keeping it. The fact that they contracted out the production of it tells me that Mercedes is done with it. That was a "hey, we have all this tooling that we don't need now that the platform is dead. Why not keep it and sell the R in China?" meeting moment. Now, I wouldn't put it past Mercedes to come out with another long wheelbase wagon type limo for just the Chinese market. Just don't hold out hope for one here... we have the GL for three rows...
Old 06-20-2015, 02:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R350
There is something terribly wrong with MB marketing dept. Perhaps they missed the opportunity. If the would have completeley updated the interior (console and all) in 2012 or 2013, make it look more modern (ML or GL-like), and it still sell. They can't say there isn't a market...

The Audi Q7 seems to be doing fine, and it's quite equivalent to the R in size. It's rather a question of positioning. There is a lot of single-non-family Q7 drivers while if you are a MB fan and don,t need it for a family, there are more opportunities (like the ML), so yeah, I can see why it didn't work.

Sadly, instead, MB insist of going even more douchebag with basically copying the BMW X6 body with the GLE coupe. The MB brand is calling for more douchebags as owners

Too bad.
I just love my R350.

Last edited by Rodinal; 06-20-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-20-2015, 04:14 PM

2006 R350
Originally Posted by Rodinal
There is something terribly wrong with MB marketing dept. Perhaps they missed the opportunity. If the would have completeley updated the interior (console and all) in 2012 or 2013, make it look more modern (ML or GL-like), and it still sell. They can't say there isn't a market...

The Audi Q7 seems to be doing fine, and it's quite equivalent to the R in size. It's rather a question of positioning. There is a lot of single-non-family Q7 drivers while if you are a MB fan and don,t need it for a family, there are more opportunities (like the ML), so yeah, I can see why it didn't work.

Sadly, instead, MB insist of going even more douchebag with basically copying the BMW X6 body with the GLE coupe. The MB brand is calling for more douchebags as owners

Too bad.
I just love my R350.

Really??????????????

Those same X6 drivers think the same of the R.......

To be honest, most people think the R Class is butt ugly... I was one of them... It has warmed up to me... but I still don't think it wins any beauty contest... even though I love ours...

The sales numbers spoke... It never sold in the numbers Mercedes wanted... marketing or not...
Old 06-21-2015, 08:12 PM

2005 C240 2011 R350
Had they called it a "shooting brake"
Old 06-22-2015, 05:19 PM

2006 R350
Originally Posted by efzauner
Had they called it a "shooting brake"
I guess they could since they butchered the coupe name....
Old 06-25-2015, 04:13 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 Audi S4, 1982 Fiat Spyder, 2010 R350, 2013 E550 Cabriolet
Yes, both Audi and Volvo now have similar cars.

I think MB has a decision to make. The car is selling well in China, but is really getting quite old. It needs a serious refresh and a new model which would cost lots of money to invest in a marginal car just sold in a few markets. If they invest big money to update it they would really need to widen the market to at least North America. It would need to lose lots of weight and maybe become a little smaller on the outside. As long as interior space was maintained that would be a positive.

My guess is that they would not make that large of an investment to try it again.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 R350 4-matic
Um......

And then there's this: http://www.caradvice.com.au/360505/mercedes-benz-r-class-could-be-revived/
While the story has the wrong info about where it's currently being built, the rest seems well sourced.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:35 AM

Our R's were based on the M Class. That article hints they would base it more off of the E Class. That is similar to what Audi and Volvo have done.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:34 PM

2005 C240 2011 R350
Originally Posted by gforaker
Our R's were based on the M Class. That article hints they would base it more off of the E Class. That is similar to what Audi and Volvo have done.

well um... the new designation is to try to stay within class

The new GLK is called GLC, based on C Class, just like the GLA is based on the A class....
So the new M class wil be GLE, based on E class. Cant wait for the GLS...
Old 07-02-2015, 05:07 AM

2006 R350
well um... the new designation is to try to stay within class

The new GLK is called GLC, based on C Class, just like the GLA is based on the A class....
So the new M class wil be GLE, based on E class. Cant wait for the GLS...
The GLE is not changing platforms at this time. In fact I do not know of any plans to replace the large crossover platform strategy. The small crossover has always been based on the C class. The GLA was a new US inspired vehicle on the revised A class. There actually is also a B class in other markets.

The former M is just getting a refresh and renamed the GLE. It actually shares a platform with ....... the Jeep Grand Cherokee......

I do not know when the large crossover platform is scheduled to be replaced but it is pretty safe to say that it will not be shared with the E class.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by josworth
The GLE is not changing platforms at this time. In fact I do not know of any plans to replace the large crossover platform strategy. The small crossover has always been based on the C class. The GLA was a new US inspired vehicle on the revised A class. There actually is also a B class in other markets.

The former M is just getting a refresh and renamed the GLE. It actually shares a platform with ....... the Jeep Grand Cherokee......

I do not know when the large crossover platform is scheduled to be replaced but it is pretty safe to say that it will not be shared with the E class.
Exactly. There is no car based crossover based on the E Class, unlike Audi, BMW and Volvo have. I think this gap would be filled before another extra large crossover like the R.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:15 PM

2005 C240 2011 R350
Originally Posted by gforaker
Exactly. There is no car based crossover based on the E Class, unlike Audi, BMW and Volvo have. I think this gap would be filled before another extra large crossover like the R.

I stand corrected. The GLE is still an M. Just the name changes.
There is a new GLC though to replace the ugly GLK

But also a crossover style GLE couple too. Google it
Old 07-07-2015, 09:27 AM

2006 R350
I stand corrected. The GLE is still an M. Just the name changes.
There is a new GLC though to replace the ugly GLK

But also a crossover style GLE couple too. Google it
What exactly is a GLE couple...... If I Google it I may get fired for what comes up on a work computer.....

But... yes there is a GLE coupe. So there will be two body styles... that is how it is listed on the German site. Both body styles are based on the "large SUV" platform, along with the GL.

I always liked the GLK... had the pleasure of spending a few days and about 500 miles with one when the AC compressor blew up on our R in North Carolina. Very nice in my opinion... actually don't like the new GLC nor the new C Class for that matter. But that is purely subjective. From what I have read, they drive and perform very nicely.

The large Euro crossovers are actually an interesting bunch. They all are not car based, but their own platforms. They are "car like" in construction and may share a few bits here and there with their respective maker's car lines, but they are unique vehicles. That is probably why we are starting to see diverse body styles from them.. to spread the development costs across as many segments as possible. Now for Mercedes that is even more true because I am sure when the M Class redesign was started, it was done with Jeep Grand Cherokee numbers factored in. Then they dumped Chrysler but reluctantly remained committed to sharing the platform for the SUV. So, now they want to expand that platform into as many segments as possible to drive volume.

I wholly expect them to create a new large tourer (like the R) on this platform.... just don't expect to see it here. Probably just for Asian markets..

Heck, in Germany the A,B,C,E,and CLS come in either hatchback or wagon guise ... we only get a handful of E Class wagons here...