R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Hood Sensor Malfunction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB E350 '06 R350 '08
Hood Sensor Malfunction

I am having problems with a dashboard warning signal that my '08 R350 hood is open.

This seems to be a fairly common problem across various MB vehicles and I am wondering if anyone has ideas for me.

The hood switch sensor is located beneath the hood latch on the passenger side of the car. It is a small switch with a plastic housing that is connected to two wires via a clasp.

Some people have corrected this problem by moving the switch sensor back into place. I tried that and it did not work. My switch was not out of place.

I thought the switch itself might be faulty, so I purchased and installed a new one from the dealership, but that has not solved my problem.

I have also slammed the hood various times and ways to ensure that both sides are latching and that the latch on the passenger side is engaging the switch properly.

Is there a relay that could need replacing?

Could a scanner solve my problem? I bought one but I do not seem to come up with any error. I have an iCarSoft 980 from amazon. I made it work, (plugged into the OBD2 port etc. and ran the diagnostic, but I did not get any error codes.)
Old 09-30-2015, 09:23 PM

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts
2005 C240 2011 R350
obd2 scanner is just for engine and emissions.
the hood switch connects to rear sam. see location picture. If the switch is good then inspect the wiring and connectors if any to the rear sam.
Test to see if the switch is normally closes when the hood is shut. Try to short out the wires to see if it is indeed the switch. Remove the switch, see if open hood warning is comes up. standard troubleshooting stuff.
Attached Files