R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Parking Brake Handle doesn't retract

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 03:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1996 SL500, 2008 R350 4Matic
Parking Brake Handle doesn't retract

Today I used the parking brake for the first time. I usually park in my level driveway or parking lots so never really needed to use it but today I parked on an incline and engaged the parking brake. When I pulled the release it released fine but I needed to push the handle back in. I imagine this is supposed to retract on its own as it odes on my R129.

Before I start pulling stuff apart is this an issue someone has tackled in this in the past? Searched the forum but only saw a post about an actual broken cable. Does the cable release and retract the handle or is there a spring that may have broken? If the cable is the thing that releases the parking brake and retracts the handle is this a possible sign that the cable is on its way out? Thanks in advance for any insight.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts
2008 R320 CDI, 1987 560SL
The parking brake is likely seized. A common problem for most all vehicles with automatic transmissions that don't regularly use the parking brake.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:40 PM

1996 SL500, 2008 R350 4Matic
Well figured out the problem. Took the cover off the side of the dash nearest the parking brake handle to see what was going on in there. The cable runs through a sleeve that is supposed to butt up against the pull handle guide. From what I imagine there must have been a plastic piece with an opening just big enough for the cable to go through and then tension up against the metal sleeve and then against the plastic guide handle. I rigged something up in metal and it is working but I am sure that the cable rubbing against the metal piece I made will eventually fray the cable and make it inoperable again. Put a call into the parts department to see if they have a parking brake release cable on hand.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:02 PM

GL450
Hey Pete,
I know this is an old thread but wondering how you managed to get the cover (or kick plate) off? I have a GL450 and hoping the method to remove might be the same.
I am stumped and don't want to break anything. My cable managed to come off at the brake pedal end and in my attempts to see if I could figure out if I could get it re-engaged by feeling around for likely location (as I can't see much with cover on) I manage to pull off the brake warning sensor connector. I accidently engaged my brake when parking on incline without thinking and had to get a long screwdriver in there to release it manually. I know it's not engaged but the brake warning screams at me constantly now while driving and of course that isn't completely disturbing and distracting...

Did you find directions anywhere on how to remove the kick panel? I am struggling finding any.