R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

DIY:Timing gear/balance shaft issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 R350
DIY:Timing gear/balance shaft issues

Ok. So this is my first post. Hi to all members. I was wondering who else had the balance shaft issue that I THOUGHT I had. Here it the story, a few weeks ago a got a 2006 R350 for $1500!!! Thats right $1500! It has 144xxx miles. Its silver with grey interior, dvd, panoramic roof, all the bells and whistles. The only problem was she said it had a blown head. I figured this was not possible. Not on a mercedes! Especially not an 06. So I drove 350 miles with a trailer and got the car.

The story was that her timing guide shattered and the car stopped running. Her boyfriend, a shade tree mechanic, fixed the car. After he did, there was water in the oil. It looked like a vanilla latte. The couple broke up before he could fix the car and it sat for 8 months before she sold it to me.

So I trailered the car home with all my happiness and joy. In the midst of my head gasket research, I decided I would back track his work and fix the things I know he didn't replace. He only replaced the 4 guides she said. So I started with the cheapest things, gaskets.

So first I changed the oil cooler gasket and housing gasket. Filled it up with fresh fluids, started it, and still oil and water mix. Then drained the fluids and I changed the water pump gasket and added fresh oil again. Still, water and oil mix. I scratched my head and thought for a while. I new I could figure this thing out. A head job was quoted at $3000 so in the end, it was worth it regardless. ($3000 head job, man i promise I've never paid for head, esp. not at that price! jus sayn)

So as I dug deeper into the issue, I noticed that the bolts inside the rt cam that bolt through the head gasket and into the timing cover were not there. WTF! I didn't get the 1/4 swivel with a e12 recessed end that is needed to get it out. I got a 1/4 swival with a 3/8 5 point sae end to get it out. I didn't have time to spend the $40 and wait a week from matco. If you want it, its part number AU12XRA. I also noticed the bolts next to the cams that bolt through the head gasket were missing. I figured this must be the problem. But to get to it is a big task. I watched the 5 balance shaft videos on youtube like 100 times and still didn't understand it. I promise, I'm no mechanic but I play one on tv. So I decided I cant break it any worse that it already is broken.

So, from my research. I went to mercedes to get the bolts. They were stupid expensive, so I went to menards and got the same bolts. I ordered a harmonic balencer removal tool. Not needed. I rented a impact drill for $25 and that did the trick. After setting the timing at 40 degrees. I removed everything from water pump, alternator, oil cooler, cam covers, ac compressor, pullys, etc and I was now looking at just the timing cover. I removed the screws and it wouldn't pry off.

Here is where I'm an idiot. I noticed a ton of silicone and figured the mechanic superglued the timing cover on super tight. So after a crowbar wouldn't work for removal, I hooked a tow chain to it and pulled. I know, not very smart. It broke the cover in half and cracked my oil pan. After investigating i found out THERE ARE 2 OIL PANS. A BLACK LOWER ONE THAT MUST BE REMOVED BY JACKING UP THE ENGINE AND THEN A UPPER ONE THAT HAS BOLTS INSIDE THAT SCREW UP INTO THE TIMING COVER. So, I removed the motor mounts on each side. 2 screws and put a 2x4 against the oil pan and used my jack in the front of the car to jack up the motor. I then slid a block under the transmission and cross bar to prop the motor up. I removed the jack and presto! the oil pan slid out and I removed the screws inside the upper pan and took off the second broken half of my timing cover. Now I am ready to remove the upper oil pan and replace it.

The cool thing is its not that hard to do on a R350. Others with the M272 engine may not have clearence so they have to remove the engine. We don't have to. Also, I noticed shards of plastic from the broken timing guide in my oil pan and in my engine. So I am going to have to remove the head cover/valve cover to clean it out. Thats fine because it was broken and rtv'd back in place anyway. The total for used parts (upper oil pan, timing cover, head gasket cover) is $280 shipped to me from junk yard. So i'ts not to bad.

I initially was upset about what I had done, but the funny thing is, I learned a lot and I was going to have to remove the oil pan anyway. At least now I know what I'm doing if anyone else needs help. I'm half way done and I'll let you know how it goes. I'll also post pics.

Pic 1: You can see inside the cam with the mirror that I am missing a bolt.
Pic 2: The r350 where it sat for 8 months before I picked it up
pic 3: yes I play a mechanic on tv. Saturday mornings on the REVN network at 7:30am and 11:30 am watch Street Kings.
Pic 4: before I got started taking it apart
Pic 5: the left valve cover broken.
Attached Thumbnails DIY:Timing gear/balance shaft issues-dd.jpg   DIY:Timing gear/balance shaft issues-df.jpg   DIY:Timing gear/balance shaft issues-ff.jpg   DIY:Timing gear/balance shaft issues-sd.jpg   DIY:Timing gear/balance shaft issues-ss.jpg