R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Clunk up front

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 R320 CDI
Clunk up front

Every once in awhile, I get a clunk up front. Usually from a stop and turning. Sometimes it's almost more like a cv joint going bad, but it only happens from a stop and only clicks or clunks a few times then it's gone... I haven't checked my axles yet, but I'm heading out to check them out as I type this up. Are there any other known issues up front that can cause this other than a failing cv joint? His is my first MB, and I'm still in the "super noob" portion of ownership. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 01-09-2016, 03:30 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2006 R350
Ours has popped when pulling out turning right since we got it. It has never gotten worse nor is there any signs of anything else failing. We got it at 72k, it now has 105k.... around 3 years.

No vibrations or noises driving... My guess is the front drive axles pop occasionally.

So I would inspect for anything awry. If it all looks good and drives good, just be aware of it and listen and feel for it to get worse... Then it should be obvious what is wrong....
Old 01-25-2016, 01:32 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2011 R350 BT
Another thing you might check is your front sway bar end links. My car would make a rattling clunking noise when driving over a series of small bumps whenever it was cold outside (below freezing). It was the driver's side end link and re-torquing it (dealer) solved the issue temporarily. It has re-appeared (again, only when it's cold outside) and I suspect that the bushings in the end link are worn out and the link needs to be replaced.
Old 09-05-2020, 03:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 R350
Hey there...it's been 4 years since you posted about that noise. I'm wondering though...did you ever figure out what it was and get it fixed? I have the same exact issue and noise and the mechanics say they can't find much wrong. one guy said control arm bushings. Wonderings what your final outcome was.???