R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

R350 Issues ~ Not Changing Gears ~ Won't Accelerate ~ Cutting Off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R350
Angry R350 Issues ~ Not Changing Gears ~ Won't Accelerate ~ Cutting Off

I have an 07 R350 that has recently started acting crazy. Two weeks ago when I stopped on at a stop sign the car made a sharp jerk. It almost felt as if someone had slammed into the back of me. After I began driving I noticed that the car was not shifting gears. I made sure that I was in Drive and not D1, D1 or any of the others. I pulled over, turned the car off then back on again and the car seemed fine.

A few days later, I was dropping my cousin off and while approaching a stop sign I heard a whining noise. Once I began driving, I noticed that the car was not changing gears again. So again, I pulled over, turned the car off and turned it back on. Again...it began to drive normal.

I took the car to the shop and left it for 4 days. The mechanic could not reproduce the error nor find anything wrong with the vehicle. So I picked the car up and it drove fine.

Later that evening I had to run to Walmart. The car drove fine to Walmart but on my way back from Walmart, I slowed down to make a right turn and once I attempted to go, the car would not accelerate. So I pulled over, turned the car off, turned it back on and the car began to drive as normal.

Three days later, I dropped my son off and daycare and proceeded to take my daughter to school as I do daily. As I pull up at the school to drop my daughter off, the car makes a whining noise but this time does not go. I turned the car off, turned it back on and the car began to drive as normal.

Tonight while coming back from the store, while slowing down at a traffic light, I heard the infamous whining down sound. I pressed the gas a little to see if I could go and the car turned off. As I've done so many times in the past, I turned the car off, turned it back on and the car began to drive as normal.

Can anyone tell me what this may be? I'm going to call the mechanic back tomorrow but I have a feeling I may have to make an appointment to take it to the dealer?
Old 05-24-2016, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts
2008 R320 CDI, 1987 560SL
There are many possibilities - all likely related to the transmission. First thing you need to do is take it to a mechanic that can read the proprietary MB diagnostic codes. Guaranteed you'll have a bunch of codes stored in there.

If I were to hazard a couple guesses: low transmission fluid, bad conductor plate, bad transmission speed sensor, or bad shift solenoid. Both the speed sensor and solenoids are mounted on the conductor plate.
Old 01-10-2024, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 Mercedes r350, 08 Escalade esv
Help with my R350 troubles!

I'm running into issue where after slowing down or coming to stop, my 06 R350 would stay in 1st gear and rev up but not switch to 2nd. Shut off, turn back on, fine for a few days and then the same would happen. All of a sudden now, when coming to slow down or stop it will not accelerate at all and has to be shut off, turned back on, but will only drive normal until slowing down or stopping again. I’m thinking it could be conductor plate, sensors on there, or solenoid. Of course I’m gonna change fluid and filter but since it has to be done from bottom of car and I’m not positive that’s all it will require, I’m thinking I may want to go ahead and try replacing the solenoids while I’m in it. Of course there’s a chance that might not be it and I have to redrop everything and get the conductor plate to send in to a place that rebuilds it (if indeed it’s the tcm or sensors on the plate) so it’s still programmed to your car still.

I saw someone mentioned fixing the 13 pin connector but don’t know what that’s called, at rock auto I can get the solenoids and everything to change the fluid and filter and pan gasket, but didn’t see that connector under tranny stuff.

is there anything else that could be causing the car to act this way? Any help or input is greatly appreciated. It’s a 722.9 Trans, no check engine light on, no codes being thrown on obd scanner.