R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Leaking Washer Fluid Tank

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 05:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2011 R350 BT
Leaking Washer Fluid Tank

I have just enjoyed one of the longest period of trouble free motoring with my R-class, almost 3 months!

I've been getting a Low Washer Fluid warning for a couple days, and when filling noticed that it's definitely leaking - almost empty overnight. This has just happened spontaneously (no bumps or accidents to cause a leak) - alway use winterized fluid. Both front and rear washers are working fine - just the tank is leaking very quickly.

I understand there is a small rubber grommet which attaches the washer motor intake to the tank that can leak. I'm planning on checking this.

Has anybody done this? What is the best way to access the tank - via the right front wheel well, or from the bottom (i.e. removing the bottom front right cover)? Any tips on how to do this would be appreciated - can't drive at this time of year in Toronto without plenty of washer fluid!

Thanks in advance.

PS - coming to the end of my extended warranty and getting a little nervous... Still like the car and love the size and how it drives - which is perfect for my needs. No equivalent replacement vehicle out there. Thinking of looking at the Volvo V90 when it comes out in March - but gives up the 7 seat capacity....