S/CL-Class (W140) Coupe 1994-1999: S500 Coupe, S600 Coupe, CL500 Coupe, CL600 Coupe

my key saga

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 04:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
w140 coupe 1999
my key saga

after owning 3 w140s in the 90's I found myself fantasizing about a c140 as a weekend car. As with all things with me I carefully looked and looked until I found one in Virginia. Then I had it transported to me. When I got it I was pleasantly surprised. My new 99 CL500 is champagne with tan interior. 70k original miles and what looks like a perfect carfax.

one visit to the mechanics fixed the blown bulbs in the gauges and re-adjust the glove box. within a week I found myself looking for wheels which for me meant amg for I didn't want any wheel shaking or imperfections in the ride. I found a new set of S65 20" AMG wheels and tires and they bolted right on. No tire rub and the car handles perfect. while at the mechanics I also had the radio volume *** rebuilt for it was not linear in its application. Also, the car had no tints when it came, so I put some ceramic 15% tints to at least stop the UV rays.

Although the car is perfect the remote was anything but. It looked like the remote which is a 4-button variety had seen better days. Although it still functioned the outer case was not in very good condition. I looked on ebay and saw some replacement covers and ordered a couple with blank keys. When I got them I was dissapointed in them for they didn't have the ir lens area and wouldn't work. While opening the original smartkey I found out about the frequency chip and how the car wouldn't start without it. After wasting a significant amount of time on the key I decided just to go to the dealer and buy two OEM keys and solve the problem.

The dealer was happy to charge me $700 for two keys with overnight service, but after a week they informed me that the w140 keys are no longer in production but are on backorder. They gave me the option to leave the order in and whenever they came in they came in. Something about this to me didn't sound right so I took back my 700 thank you.

again I found myself on ebay this time looking for oem keys for the w140 and I found one recently. The person had 10 of them for 120 each. I bought 3 of them and today when they came in I attempted to change over the blade for the blades on all three were already cut. Don't ask why they were cut and still "new" but I believe they were left over dealer keys or something like that but in any event I couldn't use the blades so I used the blade of the original key and thought I pair the smart key to get the push buttons to work. At the end of the job, I realized I forgot about the frequency chip and was attempting to put in the new fob when it flew out of my hands and landed somewhere in the shop. after a few hours looking for it in a dirty shop i realized its gone.

I'm thinking that the new frequency chips in the new smartkeys need to be paired with the car. I have to have the car towed into the dealer to do this and yes i'm attempting to do this on a sunday for here in south florida they are open

I was just wondering is there any easier way. I mean all of this key business is absolutely crazy the not making them anymore. you would think there's a lot of w140s still on the road and what are these people supposed to do?

any thoughts?

the car with original wheels:

Last edited by richiemiami; 03-18-2012 at 04:37 AM.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:12 PM

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
'97 S500 Coupe, 2016 AMG S63 Coupe, 2007 Audi Q7
Nice car!!
Old 03-25-2016, 06:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
s280 w140 chassis and w140 s600sel
Keys and CLS alloys/tyres

I dropped my keys in puddle and they fell it fell to bits - chip got wet and that was it - would turnover but wouldn't start - towed it home - Coutts Mercedes benz dealer - ordered on e from germany after checking ID and paperwork - 3 weeks and 500NZD later I'm happy - asked if an extra set was ordered at same time - how much - they said double so just went with one.

While I have you - I almost bought CLS 63 20" alloys but cancelled because the offset was not even close to the offset specified for the standard W140 wheels - boy you were lucky.

Wish i had taken the chance on them fitting but viewing them physically was a problem and getting my money back was not an option. 700NZD which is a steal in NZ. Are your new wheels different sizes ie. front and rear are different sizes and offsets?

If so i'll chase up the wheels i almost bought
Steve
Old 03-25-2016, 06:15 AM

s280 w140 chassis and w140 s600sel
They sourced the new key from germany by the way
Old 03-26-2016, 04:33 AM

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
'97 S500 Coupe, 2016 AMG S63 Coupe, 2007 Audi Q7
What rims do you have on your car? I went with stock 18" AMG after not liking the ride with 19" Brabus monoblock V and 20" Mandrus
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...1147&p=6575517
Old 11-13-2017, 08:24 PM

W140 S500
To get a new transponder chip programmed, you need to pull out the gauge cluster and remove the RCL control module.
Vehicles as of 12/94 and RCL control modules with part no:
210 820 21 26,
210 820 22 26,
210 820 27 26,
210 820 28 26,
210 820 32 26

Desolder the memory chip and solder it on a programmer adapter PCB like this. (On eBay they are around $75)

Order a blank chips from eBay, model Phillips PCF7930 or PCF7935

After you are done, desolder the chip and install it back in the RCL control module.

The following users liked this post:
Badluck (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
currently driving 1983 300SD W126, my static display is a 1999 W210 E320 4Matic wagon,
Wow this sounds like what I need. My 1999 E320 quit acknowledging my key. The vehicle seemed to encounter a failure that lead to a cascade of issues. First fuel pump, then front seats and windows, then turn signals, the flashing signal acknowledging lock or unlocking vehicle and windshield wipers. I found two issues, first alternator brush worn way down so I replaced the alternator. Then the battery ground cable attachment to the frame was found loose. I had tried to put a different battery in place to see if it might relieve the issues, it was an inch to wide so I put the battery I had been using back in after verifying fully charged and tested OK. Next day I had parked it on my drive nose out and had the rear windows open and now the vehicle will not acknowledge the key when putting into the dash (position zero per owners manual). I also read in the owners manual that the key should be in the dash in position zero when replacing the battery under rear seat. Wow this is not a quick reply, sorry. Can you provide me guidance?