S/CL-Class (W140) Coupe 1994-1999: S500 Coupe, S600 Coupe, CL500 Coupe, CL600 Coupe

Acceleration Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 02:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W140 1996 S500
Unhappy Acceleration Issues

Hello everyone
My car is w140 1996 S500, japan imported
I have a problem that is so irritating, the car stalls weirdly especially in the morning, when I press accelerator its just like the car is heavy then it is light again then it is heavy again "stalling", and this happens almost all the time.
Now when I try to accelerate heavily or kick it down, the car down shift and then stalls and do not up shift until I release the gaz, sometimes even on normal acceleration if I press more gaz it will not respond the way it should.
I did a computer check, the result was two faults:
  • The right knock sensor
  • Low voltage.
  • Airmass reading fluctuates between 16 and 28
I did replace the alternator, the same problem is there, I checked the battery and the alternator, the results are 14.5 and 12.5 when car is off.
I had a similar problem 3 years ago with the knock sensor, Ihad to replace the engine harness to correct it. Now I don’t know whether I have to change it again or not.
Also, the speed control is working fine if I am driving less than 140km/h, after that it will not work properly.
I had also a fault with the traction system, erased and didnot come back.
Coils are checked, and have no problem, spark plugs replaced, gaz filter is new, airmass is not showing any error, replaced it and the problem is the same.
Any ideas where to start???, my mechanic is pressurizing to replace the engine harness, what to do? ??

Last edited by Narcy Cool; 11-28-2015 at 03:29 AM.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W140 1996 S500
hi guys, lots of views without any reply

anyways, here are some updates:
1. noticed gaz leak beneath the right rear wheel, checked and the gasoline pump needed replacement, replaced it with original part.
2. the tongue of the trunk, "the one that opens and closes with the trunk being opened or closed", I noticed that it goes out while I am driving. I can not exactly decide when it goes out, but I have this feeling that it is related to acceleration

the cars performance is a little better, still I have the acceleration and hesitation problem as is, no advancement uptill now.

any help or idea???