S/CL-Class (W140) Coupe 1994-1999: S500 Coupe, S600 Coupe, CL500 Coupe, CL600 Coupe

Should I buy this 94 S500 coupe?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2CV
Should I buy this 94 S500 coupe?

Here is the situation. I was offered this car for $3500. 116k miles. It looks absolutely perfect. Like brand new. Inside - out. I would venture to say I have never seen any 94 car being in such good shape.

However, when I got in, I noticed the door does not have a bar to keep it from opening more than a certain amount, then, when I tried the sun roof it stayed stuck in open position. the glove compartment opened and did not close again. Driving it, it shifts hard the power steering pump makes noise and works barely. Stepping on the pedal nothing happens first but only when pressing deep down. Most electrical does not work like -heater fan, all insturments, turn signals.

So what should I do? What’s the worst case scenario here? Is a new transmission possible and how much can I expect to pay? How much could it possibly cost to have the entire electrical system repaired? The little things I can possibly do myself. Also, are there still parts available for this vehicle?

I am so confused because the car is just to gorgeous inside out but what could I be in for? I don’t mind sinking some money into it but how much could it cost?

Any input is very much appreciated. Thank you
Old 04-09-2016, 07:30 AM

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
'97 S500 Coupe, 2016 AMG S63 Coupe, 2007 Audi Q7
The repairs will easily exceed the purchase price. Pre-96 W140 have known wire harness issues that require replacement which can lead to electrical gremlins. If the transmission was not properly serviced you can have expensive repairs. You can find parts as there are parts available but they aren't cheap but reasonable in price.

The C140 are less common than the Sedan, but I wouldn't by this car. May be worth it for parts at a substantial reduction in price.

Good Luck!!
Old 07-04-2016, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 S320
Should you buy the '94 S500? LOOK DEEPER....

I HAVE a similar car with the Engine harness replaced... I venture to guess you have a ASR issue which need further diagnosis.... The ETA Throttles are known on these cars and the details are best viewed at Victor's site, RestoreYourMercedes.com

With CAREFUL diagnosis, you might see you have a good car here or, like the others have posted, a parts car.... One that cost 100K when new by the way... Incredible Build quality...!