S-Class (W116) 1972-1980: 280S, 280SE, 280SEL, 350SE, 350 SEL, 450 SE, 450 SEL, 450 SEL 6.9, 300 SD

450sel Tell me what you think.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 450sel Tell me what you think.

After taking piano lessons from a Swedish woman for so many years, she's decided to get herself a brand new Corvette and have it shipped off to Sweden for when she retires in the next few years.

So she needs to get rid of her 1979 450 SEL. Being the foolhardy adventurer I was, I jumped in and she literally gave it away. So now I'm $0 into an investment on this car, and I want to know if it's worth keeping around.

It's been sitting for about 10 years outside at a storage place.

It has a few problems that need addressing:

1. Power steering feels like all the fluid leaked out. Same with the brakes; it has basically no brake power right now.

2. Body is kinda rusty, but whose isn't?

3. No idea of anything else's condition, but I remember thinking the milage is low, under 100k.

Despite all this, it's been started and let run once a year annually, and it does run and barely drive, it needs a tuneup desperately. All in all, I fell in love with it, and I need to know if it's worth saving. It would be a daily driver eventually.

Also, it's kind of a baby blue color, what's the color called?
Thanks,
Matt
Old 11-10-2011, 09:30 AM

C-GAGL Heavy
Originally Posted by Emberblade
After taking piano lessons from a Swedish woman for so many years, she's decided to get herself a brand new Corvette and have it shipped off to Sweden for when she retires in the next few years.

So she needs to get rid of her 1979 450 SEL. Being the foolhardy adventurer I was, I jumped in and she literally gave it away. So now I'm $0 into an investment on this car, and I want to know if it's worth keeping around.

1. Power steering feels like all the fluid leaked out. Same with the brakes; it has basically no brake power right now.

3. No idea of anything else's condition, but I remember thinking the milage is low, under 100k.

Despite all this, it's been started and let run once a year annually, and it does run and barely drive, it needs a tuneup desperately. All in all, I fell in love with it, and I need to know if it's worth saving. It would be a daily driver eventually.

Thanks,
Matt
My favourite car to date to work on. They are a joy, things like the thermostat can be a little bit of a pain to get to, but overall, it's a lot of fun. Plugs, wires fluids and filters are the normal things that you've gotta do. Steering racks go on these cars, but they aren't THAT hard to change. Brakes are a simple disc all around ABS system so it should be easy to trouble shoot. The engine also sounds really MEAN if you change the exhaust setup a little, kind-of pseudo-muscle car-y
Old 02-15-2012, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 235 Posts
'06 MB S55 AMG; '04 Audi Allroad 4.2; '05 BMW M3 Conv.; '92 MB 500E
Originally Posted by Emberblade

Thanks,
Matt
RUST on these cars is the number one problem. Recall that MB did a **** poor job of rustproofing their cars until the mid '80s. This car will literally disintegrate if you don't deal with that. And we all know there's really no dealing with rust other than a frame up restoration. Bring boat loads of cash. You're probably in a $20k hole already, depending upon how picky you are about the condition of what you drive.

maw
Old 03-22-2012, 08:04 AM

It doesn't put out as much heat as my manual system does, though. I'd still like to swap the manual and ACC between cars, though my manual needs something fixed as the sliders don't do much - it's either no heat if all the way down, or full heat even if only the left one is up an inch. Fan/vent controls work though so it's manageable, and quite nice on cold days.