S-Class (W116) 1972-1980: 280S, 280SE, 280SEL, 350SE, 350 SEL, 450 SE, 450 SEL, 450 SEL 6.9, 300 SD

1979 450SEL 6.9 W116 for sale in Dallas, TX area.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1979 450SEL 6.9 W116 for sale in Dallas, TX area.

Just got back from looking at a 1979 450SEL 6.9L. Now that I’m not going to buy it I will post the details:

1979 450SEL 6.9L V8

Vin: 11603612006480

U Pull It salvage yard

170K Miles

Black interior
Front and rear heated seats
The wood is in bad shape
The dash is cracked
Becker radio is still there.
Dark Blue exterior
Clear coat peeling
No keys

All fluids have been drained. However, the hydraulic fluid in the suspension reservoir was clear (about 1” remaining at bottom of tank).

Euro headlights.
Broken tail light lens on pass side
The hydraulic struts looked wet near bottom.
Spare tire pan has been caved in (I assume moving with forklift)
Bumpers slightly bent upward from forklift.
Some trim has been damaged near rocker panel.

The interior is very wet. Looks like the sunroof is leaking or the drains are clogged.

The nitrogen spheres don’t appear to be new. However, they did have the yellow stickers on them. Maybe really good sticker adhesive? Or maybe they have been replaced? Unsure.

Rust looks to be a problem around jack holes. Floor pans are a bit rusty but I didn’t see any holes.

The battery cables have been cut recently. Assume the salvage auction did this when they drained the fluids.

Fuel is stale and needs to be drained and replaced.

Tires look old. Need replaced.

I was impressed that the car had not been started in years but it did have vacuum pressure in the brake booster. The pedal was assisted and firm as it should be.

Rear differential did not look like it was leaking.

Looks like it had a newer radiator.

Car was last registered and inspected in 07 in TX.

Found an insurance card in the glove compartment that had the previous owner’s name in Plano, TX. Found out the owner died in 2008 by an obituary online. Located his brother in Illinois and he informed me that the car ran before it was parked in the driveway where it sat for 3-4 years after he died. He did drive it until it was parked but the brother had no idea the condition of the suspension or if any work had been done to it.

I called many of the dealerships and mom and pop shops here in the Metroplex to see if I could locate maintenance records. Mercedes-Benz did not show any in their database when I supplied the VIN. No luck at the independent shops either.

The salvage yard was asking $3000 OBO. I know for a fact that they gave $440 for this car based on the auction records for the city of Plano, TX.

In my opinion I feel that this car would be a good parts car. It would take a great deal of $ to put it back on the road even without suspension work. If I had the time and place to put this car I would think that $1500 is a good offer.

It is my intent to not let this car go to the crusher. Given the limited production of these awesome cars, I would hope it could be put to good use to keep another 6.9 on the road.

Best regards,

Craig
1983 300D Blue/blue (sold)
1986 300SDL Blue/blue (sold)
1984 300D Blue/blue (sold)
1995 E300 Diesel White/Gray (daily driver)