S-Class (W116) 1972-1980: 280S, 280SE, 280SEL, 350SE, 350 SEL, 450 SE, 450 SEL, 450 SEL 6.9, 300 SD

New owner of a 280SE looking for some advice on timing, AC, and radio.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1979 280SE
New owner of a 280SE looking for some advice on timing, AC, and radio.

OK, I purchased a 280SE about 2 months ago. Overall it's in pretty good condition but I have several issues which I'm working on and was hoping for some advice from those who might know more about them than me.

First, I've had an issue where the engine occasionally dies when I accelerate too slowly, or occasionally when I'm idling. I suspect either the timing is off or the carburetor is tuned badly but I'm not sure how to adjust those on this car. I used to own a classic Dart and could do those on that car so I know how to do those things in theory, but obviously the engine on this car is pretty different.

First I ordered a timing light and replacement cap and rotor, but I'm not sure how to adjust the timing. For one, on the Dart there was a piece of metal next to the belt that the timing light was supposed to be aligned with, but I can't find anything similar on the Mercedes so if anyone could direct me on this process I'd be grateful.

I also have an issue with the AC, namely the blower doesn't come on, only the DEF option works in the car, fans don't come on with any other option, the compressor isn't charged according to the buyer, but I can't charge it if the climate control doesn't power on. I have a second set of dash controls in case the buttons in the dash aren't working but I'm not sure if that is the issue. I've checked the wiring inside the engine as much as I can and it seems fine, but if anyone has any advice on what else to check, also how to actually disassemble the dash controls so I can replace the controls if needed, and if there is a way to test them for functionality with a voltage meter or something.

Third issue, I have been trying to replace the original radio with a new one. The old radio is currently working, I've tested the wiring and it's getting 11.96v consistently, but for some reason new radios never seem to power on when I connect them. Any ideas here? Am I missing something?

Bit of back story. The first radio I had powered on, but no sound came out, then it blew a fuse and I returned it. I replaced the fuse, to get the old radio to work, but now every new radio I try does not power up.