S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

Frustrated. 88 300SEL Low Idle and Stall

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 300SEL
Unhappy Frustrated. 88 300SEL Low Idle and Stall

Hey everyone. I'm a newbie. And I need some serious help (single mom, no money left, help!)
I was recently able to get my hands on an 88 300SEL for $800. At the time I purchased it, the lady said it was a daily driver for her son. I test drove it, and it ran pretty great but needed brakes terribly.

I found an invoice in the car recently that showed this lady had put $1500+ of new parts on it (including fuel filter, full tune up).

When my friend came to get the car to do the brakes, he called me a few days into it (it took him days because of his busy work schedule). He said the car was stalling. It blew my mind because it had never stalled with me. The idle was always perfect (at 800) and it had plenty of power.

So, he took it to a German Auto Repair place, and they apparently adjusted the fuel/air mix, put a new spark plug in cylinder 6, and put a new battery in.

Long story short, they adjusted the fuel/air mix wrong. It was down to 2.0. That was since fixed as of yesterday, and the car started right up... but heres the issue I'm having now....

The idle is low (500) at startup, and lowers on its own to 200, and then the car stalls. The idle lowers even more when I depress the brake. I have to power-brake in order to keep the car turned on at stop signs/red lights. When I accelerate from a stop, the car barely moves (I mean, ppl are honking and cursing at me its so slow lol), and then suddenly, at random intervals the car gets power again and hauls butt. When I'm finally up to interstate speed, I never lose power again until I slow back down to stop, and if I don't power brake, it stalls.

I would greatly appreciate any help with this. I'm a single mommy of a newborn with specials needs, and I don't have much time to educate myself about this car. I'm willing to try to do the work myself, but I would need some guidance and pictures (names of parts wont really help me since I still wont know where that part is).

If theres anyone in the north Atlanta area, and you can come take a look at her, you have no idea how much I'd appreciate it. I literally have no money to spend on this, but I'm working on hopefully getting Child Support and the baby's disability wont kick in for a long time. This was the only car I could find at the time that didn't have some major issue for $800, and the baby was coming home from the NICU the next day, and I had no other car so... I'm stuck with my 300SEL

Thanks for reading
Old 02-04-2014, 11:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004.7 C180 Kompressor, BMW X5, Chevrolet Camaro LT, Mercedes S, Cesna 152.
Wow!! That is a lot of problems.

1. Sounds like you have a leaking Brake booster.

2. Be very careful about soliciting someone to "come & have a look" on a forum, some people may not be ethical.

3. Why did you buy a used old Merc when you are a single Mum?? There is a saying; "there is nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes". My advice, take it or leave it.... get rid of it. It will be a money pit. Cut your losses, you only paid $800, you could still sell it for that. Then buy a Toyota... cheaper for you to run.

4. There are some very common problems with that model that come to mind.The distributor cap and ignition rotor is notorious for causing the car to quit and not restart on occasion. I would just replace them if you haven't already done so. The other common problem is with the fuel pump relay. It too can cause intermittent stalling and hard starting. Finally another not so common problem is with the ignition control module. It will cause the same symptoms but we don't see them fail as often as the other two. I would start with the suggestions above and see if that doesn't cure the problem. Let me know if you have any questions.

Good Luck!!

Last edited by mercedes4ever; 02-05-2014 at 01:19 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:56 AM

1988 560SEL
I have the repair DVD disks; send me a PRIVATE msg with VIN # so I can decode it, and everything that you have receipts for. Fiendishly Snide Elitist Babble questioning why you bought the car aside, I paid $650 for MY 560SEL, & all it needed was a rebuild of the suspension components, & assorted other running repairs. I'm a retired Granpa Auto/Diesel/Hvy Equip Mech, & the SAFETY of driving around with my Grandsons & Great Grand Daughter in a Benz W126 TANK is reason enough ... WHILE I try to do a "Long Distance" Diagnosis, TRY to keep uninitiated "Mechanics" from touching ANYTHING: These vehicles are finicky about various things; Parts stores REGULARLY hand out incorrect Spark Plugs & other components ... Hang In There, & GOOD PEOPLE on this site will try to HELP, instead of Pompous Posturing ...
Old 02-11-2014, 04:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004.7 C180 Kompressor, BMW X5, Chevrolet Camaro LT, Mercedes S, Cesna 152.
Originally Posted by Tony Funches
I have the repair DVD disks; send me a PRIVATE msg with VIN # so I can decode it, and everything that you have receipts for. Fiendishly Snide Elitist Babble questioning why you bought the car aside, I paid $650 for MY 560SEL, & all it needed was a rebuild of the suspension components, & assorted other running repairs. I'm a retired Granpa Auto/Diesel/Hvy Equip Mech, & the SAFETY of driving around with my Grandsons & Great Grand Daughter in a Benz W126 TANK is reason enough ... WHILE I try to do a "Long Distance" Diagnosis, TRY to keep uninitiated "Mechanics" from touching ANYTHING: These vehicles are finicky about various things; Parts stores REGULARLY hand out incorrect Spark Plugs & other components ... Hang In There, & GOOD PEOPLE on this site will try to HELP, instead of Pompous Posturing ...
There is no need to be disrespectful Grandpa. I was pointing out to her, that in her position, this car "could be" more than she can afford to maintain.

She is also not a Mechanic, like you?

Its my opinion / advice, your pernicious attitude is uncalled for.

Last edited by mercedes4ever; 02-11-2014 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1985 Mercedes 500 SEL
Smile Yes, folks should be here to help with their knowledge.

Originally Posted by Tony Funches
Grandpa, I agree with you, and appreciate helpful spirit. Those that post here should be here to help if they have the experiences and knowledge to do so, and not discourage those that need that help. I have a 1985 500sel and have not been sorry I purchased it even though it needed repair work on it. These cars always make me appreciate the workmanship and quality in these cars. American cars can not compete with them, expect maybe my 1964 Pontiac Bonneville Station Wagon. This Mom should be very safe in her car with her children and grandchildren, the are strongly built.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:36 AM

1988 560SEL
Ok. Lemme try to gedda grip on this; "low idle & stall" seems t'be the condition. I remember going through this myself, & found help on a thread named "Low Idle Hell" ...
1. Your friend SHOULD have chk'd w/ you before having "German Auto Place" do ANYTHING. They bear partial responsibility for continuing problems.
2. The solution for my '88 560 was found to be INCORRECT Spark Plugs! I SUGGEST; NGK BP5ES or BP6ES non-resistor plugs, & THAT is entirely dependant on your Spark Plug WIRES!.
3. The PROPER WIRES already have the "Resistor" factor built-in to THEM, so the PLUGS do not NEED to be "Resistor" plugs ... Using BOTH can cause your symptoms.
4. ANY Self Respecting Garage ALWAYS replaces ALL Plugs when a single one is found to be faulty. Period.
5. IF you can IDENTIFY the Mfr & Part # of the Ignition Wires currently installed on your car, it would help IMMENSELY ... (I bought & installed the CORRECT wire set from Karlyn/Bremi for the M117.968 motor I have.)

Peachparts is local to your area & has a decent reputation ... a qwik search should give their contact info ...

Since this site tolerates Trolls, I again remind & ask you to use Prvt Msg option.

Cheers & Jollies
Granpa T