S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

What do you think of this 300SD? Good deal or not?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura TSX
What do you think of this 300SD? Good deal or not?

Hello all, I an new to MB, not new to cars. I can defiantly do my own work on anything.

I am on a hunt to find the perfect MB, I have a few requirements:
Must be a turbo diesel
Must be clean.

There is one i looked at in my area. Its 1984, clean title, It has 340K miles, very clean, body is perfect except missing passanger mirror, interior is immaculate also.

The owner said he had all the maintenance done as needed.

Couple things i noticed when i test drove it, when first pressing the accelerator i feel lots of vibration through it, and the car seems to run a little rough at low RPM's. When driving the transmission shifts a little hard when its pushed.

Under the bay I noticed diesel leaking from under two of the injectors, and the block was wet from what seemed like oil. I read that oil leaking is pretty common on older diesels, not sure about the diesel though.

Here is a link to the car, let me know what you guys think and if its worth buying.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/4830247098.html

Thank you,
David
Old 01-07-2015, 07:08 AM

1983 300 SD/1984 300 CD
You shouldn't get that much vibration you refer to.

With those miles, a new timing chain is in order, or does it have one?
When was the last time the valves were adjusted?

Leakage around the injectors is not normal, more than likely a cheap and easy fix, replace the fuel jumper lines, but maybe not. Perhaps one of the nipples has a nick, replace that injector.
Also with those miles, have the injectors tested, they inject fuel at a very high pressure and the springs inside may have gone soft by now or the pintles have worn out.

How is the under carriage? Rust? Rubber components need refreshing?

The more maintenance records, the better.

It's difficult to determine a price point due to many factors, location and condition, but for those miles with the original timing chain, too much money for me.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:07 PM

Acura TSX
Originally Posted by Rmac58
You shouldn't get that much vibration you refer to.

With those miles, a new timing chain is in order, or does it have one?
When was the last time the valves were adjusted?

Leakage around the injectors is not normal, more than likely a cheap and easy fix, replace the fuel jumper lines, but maybe not. Perhaps one of the nipples has a nick, replace that injector.
Also with those miles, have the injectors tested, they inject fuel at a very high pressure and the springs inside may have gone soft by now or the pintles have worn out.

How is the under carriage? Rust? Rubber components need refreshing?

The more maintenance records, the better.

It's difficult to determine a price point due to many factors, location and condition, but for those miles with the original timing chain, too much money for me.
Thank you for the response. The car has been stored in a garage since 1991, there is no rust on it whatsoever, the under carriage looks very clean. Getting the injectors rebuilt and flow tested is something I have in mind.

The one thing i'm not sure about is the timing chain, I just got the phone number of the mechanic that worked on it so I will ask him. Is there anything else i need to look at or question?
Old 01-07-2015, 12:18 PM

1983 300 SD/1984 300 CD
You're welcome.

Inspect the center bearing on the drive shaft, if failing, this will give you a vibration, but usually at speed.

It's been sitting for 23 years?

All fluids will need refreshing. All filters to be replaced. New fuel too. All rubber components will need to be inspected.

The vibration you encountered may be attributed to the age of the fluids. The transmission especially.

With "exercise" things may smooth out.

These cars like to be driven.

Perhaps a third party can provide a Pre Purchase Inspection.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:35 PM

Acura TSX
Originally Posted by Rmac58
You're welcome.

Inspect the center bearing on the drive shaft, if failing, this will give you a vibration, but usually at speed.

It's been sitting for 23 years?

All fluids will need refreshing. All filters to be replaced. New fuel too. All rubber components will need to be inspected.

The vibration you encountered may be attributed to the age of the fluids. The transmission especially.

With "exercise" things may smooth out.

These cars like to be driven.

Perhaps a third party can provide a Pre Purchase Inspection.
Sorry for the misunderstanding, the car has been driven regularly, but stored inside a garage when not driven.

As soon as the car picks up speed the vibration goes away, it reminds me of a misfire on a gasoline engine. I am not too familiar with diesels yet, but I have a feeling it has something to do with injectors.

I have not inspected the rubber bushings, but the car seemed to drive nice and did not make and unnecessary noises when turning or going over bumps.

I will talk to the mechanic and see what work has been done and what documentation he has, that will play a big part in this purchase.

The owner said he will take $2500 for the car, no lower.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:56 PM

1983 300 SD/1984 300 CD
I see.

From a stop if it always is rough, it may be a small air leak somewhere in the fuel system.