S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

'89 Mercedes 300se Fuel/Air Issue?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 01:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 mercedes 300se
Unhappy '89 Mercedes 300se Fuel/Air Issue?

Hello, For the past 2 months I have been trying to fix my 1989 mercedes 300se. The car was running pretty flawlessly until a big storm came through and the car sat for a week. I went to start the car, and the car would crank but would not start. So the diagnosing began.

I first checked fuel delivery to fuel distributor. Fuel delivery was good so and pressure was good. I drained the gas tank as I believed that water or condensation could of built up as it sat. Car still wouldn't start.

I checked spark, noticed the spark wasn't very strong. Replaced battery, same spark was still bad. Replaced ignition coil. Spark was a lot better.

I checked to see if there was fuel going from fuel distributor to fuel injectors and there was no sign. Here I believe there was an issue with fuel distributor, so first I rebuilt the fuel distributor had no luck, and next I went out to picknpull and got one off a pretty decent looking car. I put it on and the car will now start but it will not run.

When the car starts it is on for a second then dies. I randomly decided to crack open a bolt on top of the fuel distributor and let fuel spray out as I start it and the car starts and idles pretty decently. If I close the bolt, the car dies. If I step on the gas, the car dies. The car idles fine when the bolt atop the fuel distributor is cracked open. If I rev the engine by press the throttle beside the fuel distributor the car revs fine.

There are two hoses that are pretty cracked on the idle control, and am ordering those here shortly, but the car ran fine with those cracked to hell anyways.

My 17 year old mind has ran out of ideas and I cant really find any topics that can help me. Could it be the fuel pressure regulator?

Cheers,
Ethan