S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

1991 560SEL New Owner - Lots of Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'91 560SEL '93 400SEL
Question 1991 560SEL New Owner - Lots of Questions

If you only have information for me on even one of these questions I'll still really appreciate whatever you have to share.

I bought my car from its' second owner less than three weeks ago and have lots of questions. Granted the car is twenty-four years old, and is therefore not in perfect shape, but some of these things are baffling to me.

1. The Mysterious Middle Switch
What does it do? The owner's manual does not show or mention what this switch is for. The man I bought the car from claimed he never found out what it is for either. It doesn't seem to do anything when switched with car on or off. I'm guessing this pertains to some sort of an obscure optional feature that the original owner of the car would have paid extra money for, but nothing stands out as being whatever it is on the original receipt for the car.

2. How does one disable the alarm?
Four days after I bought the car it began having an issue with the alarm randomly going off when parked, off, and locked. Initially I found I could remove fuses "2" and "7" and that seemed to disable the alarm.
However, as of Sunday afternoon the alarm has found a way to go off, with even greater frequency, even without those fuses installed. I'm now having to leave the doors unlocked to keep it from sounding off.

3. Trunk light missing!?
Guess it could've been awkward for the trunk light to come on in the dead of night when some mafia-type was loading bodies in the trunk. But seriously, either my trunk light is missing, fixture and all, or the trunk light was an optional feature that the original buyer couldn't spend an extra five bucks to get. Anyone know where in the trunk the light would've gone? And would anyone happen to have a part number for the light fixture? I could wire something in myself, but would prefer original equipment.

4. How does one access the instrument cluster lightbulbs?
At least half the lightbulbs in the instrument cluster are burned out, which is rather inconvenient when I'm driving home at night. Anyone have a link to some good instructions on the correct way to remove the instrument cluster on this car?

5. Car Seems Bouncy
I also own a W124 (300E) and the ride in it seems much smoother in it. Is this simply because the W124 was a newer series of vehicle employing an improved shock absorption system? Or, could there be some other reason as to why the car seems to have a bit of bounce to it?

6. Trunk leak?
Having rained the day of and two days following buying the 560SEL I found to my dismay that water was somehow getting into the trunk. The radio antenna is broken so my immediate thought was it was coming in through that, which no doubt some was, so I have temporarily taped it with duct tape. However, it rained again yesterday, and water still got in again. I cleaned all debris from around the gasket on Saturday and couldn't find any obvious damage to the gasket, but I would fare a guess that it is the original gasket. Is it safe to assume the trunk gasket is the faulty point for the water to get in, or is there another where water could be seeping in from?

7. Initial Maintenance Recommendations?
Are there any parts recommended to be replaced purely for the sake of general maintenance when buying one of these cars used?

8. Anything I should know about owning this model of MB?
Having never owned a W126 myself prior, nor not ever having known anyone else who has owned one, are there anythings I should be made aware of about this series?

Last edited by Gamer_S; 02-11-2015 at 10:50 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
The mysterious center button is the alpine horn.

Honk your horn, flip the switch and then honk the horn. You should notice the difference. Nice when an errant soccer mom in front of you won't get off her phone and move
Old 02-12-2015, 05:45 AM

560 SEC Wannabe Owner
"Trash the alarm" seems to be the common refrain around here, although I have yet to do mine. Use the search function. The alarm is located behind the pax side footwell wall IINM.

A bouncy rear isn't always a bad thing, but on a car it sucks. You have problems with the cars hydraulic leveling system. Reams of info on the site WRT its care and feeding. Theres a pump and a reservoir under the hood (facing engine, the res is the upright, quart sized plastic bottle just behind and inboard of the port side headlight) and 2 hyd Rams and 2 accumulator spheres near the axle. There is also linkage back there in the center of the car. The linkage senses the cars "load" and adjusts ride height. Check this first. Easy, free. Read up before diagnosis to avoid wasting time and money.

Change ALL the cars fluids unless you can verify recent service. The brake fluid and trans fluid would be my first targets after the engine oil.

Find some European headlights as the stock N American DOT lights are heinously fugly and besmirch the marque. Wiring them up is easy. Check eBay and this sites "for sale" section. Easy swap. Tons of info avail under search. Eat up the stickies at the top of the 126 section as there is a ton of useful info there.

All that aside, I'm a newbie myself and also an idiot. Take everything I have typed with a massive amount of skepticism and doubt. There are guys here who could disassemble your car in two hours and put it back together in three, having made numerous beneficial mods along the way. Listen to them first and foremost.

Congrats on the purchase. Pictures please and welcome to the hood.

Last edited by oldmako; 02-12-2015 at 06:23 AM.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:41 AM

'91 560SEL '93 400SEL
Thanks guys!

Well, not had a chance to disable the alarm yet, and would like a bit more input as I have read elsewhere when doing a search that a bad exterior light can disrupt and cause the alarm to go off as they share a circuit somewhere. Well my front passenger headlight is blatantly dim to the point of being about useless in bot hthe low and high beam settings and I keep getting the dash warning light to come on when the lights are on indicating a burned out exterior light. I ordered new fuses online over a week ago and they finally arrived today, had over a dozen fuses in the car at time of purchase that were so badly corroded they were truly useless. I got all the fuses replaced a few minutes ago and that one headlight is still dim. I've personally never known a headlight bulb to have a limbo state between working and not working before, is replacing that bulb my best bet or could something else be causing it to be so dim?
Old 02-18-2015, 10:04 PM

'91 560SEL '93 400SEL
Ah, I forgot to post this last night. It's a picture I took of the car last week on a day that was warm. Cold and icy this week!

I am beginning to think that there is something wrong with the hydraulic leveling system as suggested by old Mako. The car is basically empty yet it just gives the appearance that it's sitting a bit low in the back now. So clearly this is an issue that has been developing since purchasing the car as it looked fine the initial three days it sat in the driveway while I was working on getting the insurance and other legal aspects of ownership sorted out. The hydraulic fluid seems to be in the operationally acceptable range in the reservoir, but it definitely is sitting lower than when I initially started this topic.

Right now though my bigger problem is the random power loss I've made a seperate topic about. I downloaded the documentation on the hydraulic suspension system from another topic on this forum and looked it over a few minutes ago and was relived to see that, unlike on newer model MB's, there are still spring shocks on the rear wheels in addition to the fluidic suspension, so at least I won't have to worry about one day walking out to my car and finding that it is literally collapsed on it's rear tires, that must be a dreadful issue to have to go through.

My Dad's car, a terrible little Chrysler, has had bad shock absorbers now for a good four years or longer. But aside from making for the most horribly uncomfortable car ride you can imagine it doesn't impede the operation of the vehicle. I'm going to fare a guess that in my case with my car that I should refrain from loading cargo as logic on this matter to me suggests that I've probably lost the ability to safely haul anywhere close tot he rated maximum payload weight of cargo and passengers with this issue, or am wrong about that?
Old 02-19-2015, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
dont forget to check timing chain service record

benzworld.org has a nice w126 section , lotta info
Old 02-22-2015, 01:08 AM

'91 560SEL '93 400SEL
Headlight issue resolved! There was a corroded contact on the cable harness plugging into the light. Quick and easy fix.

Alarm issue resolved! Becker alarm has been disconnected. Hooray! I can lock the doors again without worry of being harassed by the alarm going off whenever it feels like it.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:04 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2009 S550
4. How does one access the instrument cluster lightbulbs?
At least half the lightbulbs in the instrument cluster are burned out, which is rather inconvenient when I'm driving home at night. Anyone have a link to some good instructions on the correct way to remove the instrument cluster on this car?

There is a special tool used to remove the instrument cluster. It's basically two thin metal rods ( a little thinner than a wire coat hanger) with a hook at the end of each. You insert them at the bottom left and right side of the cluster with the hook ends facing up, then turn them so that the hooks face in. From there, gently pull toward the steering wheel with equal force on both left and right sides. From there pretty simple. A pic of the tool is here: https://dq4zp01npifg0.cloudfront.net...?itok=Mc1jhPli

5. Car Seems Bouncy
I also own a W124 (300E) and the ride in it seems much smoother in it. Is this simply because the W124 was a newer series of vehicle employing an improved shock absorption system? Or, could there be some other reason as to why the car seems to have a bit of bounce to it?

The bounce is due to the nitrogen accumulators needing to be replaced. A fairly easy job, though it can be a little messy as you're dealing with hydraulic hoses/fluids. They are located under the car just behind the back seat (two total). If I remember correctly, you drain the hydraulic fluid, disconnect the hoses from each, and unbolt. Then bolt in the new ones, connect the hoses, and refill the hydraulic fluid. Here's a pic: http://cdn3.volusion.com/hkdxf.uqnsa...jpg?1402495819

7. Initial Maintenance Recommendations?
Are there any parts recommended to be replaced purely for the sake of general maintenance when buying one of these cars used?

I would probably take care of all the basic easy stuff up front. Oil and filter, air filter (two pieces, main, and a little thing that looks like a hair brush), power steering fluid, etc. Also be sure to have a qualified mechanic take a look at the timing chain tensioner rails. If they fail, the chain will whip about inside the engine and destroy it in minutes. Better safe than sorry on that one

8. Anything I should know about owning this model of MB?
Having never owned a W126 myself prior, nor not ever having known anyone else who has owned one, are there anythings I should be made aware of about this series?[/QUOTE]

Overall, I think the W126 is the greatest car ever made ever period. Ever. Back then, there was no Lexus, and short of Rolls/Bently, there simply was no better car build at the time. As long as you keep current on oil changes, the engine will probably live longer than you. Take care of that car and it will take great care of you. Also, chicks dig it.