S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

Rare 560 SEL Coupe?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 03:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I own a 1986 560 SEL and a 1989 560 SEC
Rare 560 SEL Coupe?

I recently stumble upon a strange looking w126 two door 560 SEL, or at least that's what my mechanic said it was. Now this guy is a Mercedes Benz genius. He trained and worked for the Company in Germany; now he owns his shop in Los Angeles CA. So I don't have a reason to doubt his expertise for he has performed miracles on my 560 SEL and SEC. To start, the car is as big as a 560 SEL body, it has the big 5.6 V8 engine, and the same transmission. I believe that it is an early model pre-'86. It was originally white with grey interior. And the front seats work like the SEC's and there are two seats in the back just like the SEC models. The rear tail lights are the same as the SEL's but it has the rare center/license plate reflector.

At some point, the previous owner did a fake AMG conversion and painted the car black, the suspension got lowered, and all the chrome was blackened, including the wheels. The interior, in most places, is held by black electric tape and glue...yeah a real masterful job...the leather seats are thrashed of course. So the previous owner left the country and my mechanic got this car, which is now for sale for a ridiculous sum, hence the need to write this thread.

Am I dreaming? What I'm wanting to know is if in fact such car, a 560 SEL Coupe was ever built? Now I know that Mercedes Benz concocted some fascinating vehicles for ages, of course I can't afford any of them. But if there is a Mercedes Benz God maybe I'm about to get lucky. I will post some pictures as soon as I see my mechanic again.

So please let me know what you think,

Best regards.

JB
Old 08-04-2015, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As far as I know Mercedes never produced a 126 coupe other than the SEC but I remember seeing a german video which is on You tube, where somebody had grafted a sel front onto a sec body as he preferred the look of the sel front. I'm thinking this might be the case of your sel coupe. It was much more common to do the opposite - graft a sec front end onto a sel body.

Here the video

I don't speak german but it looked like a lot of work to do but I kinda like it.

The other alternative is somebody took a 4 door, welded the back doors shut and added sec seats so you could climb in and out. Why would somebody do that is beyond me but Jaguar did a similar thing in the 70's when they built the XJ6 coupe.

Last edited by London380sl; 08-05-2015 at 09:03 AM.