S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

Jingle noise at low RPM

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1984 500 SEL
Jingle noise at low RPM

Hello all. I have an 84SEL with 170,000 miles. It had a lot of "jingling" noise which, with the mileage, I attributed to the need to do a timing chain and guide job. It was extremely loud. Fast forward: the timing chain and guide job went without a hitch, sans a power steering pump that was stuck to the adjuster bolts from electrolysis. I was glad to learn the original chain had maybe 1-2 degrees of stretch only, and the guides and tensioner were in obvious need of replacement.

Fast forward to a job done. The timing job turned out great, the loud obnoxious jingling is gone. There is still some jingling however, and I am having a hard time pinpointing where it is coming from. It is not very loud, and only occurs at low idle. Does anyone have any suggestion?

The car certainly has less oil pressure than when I got it 30k ago. I keep up on oil changes, but I am thinking it could be the pump and/or pump chain. Does this sound reasonable? The car originally had about 1.5 bar oil pressure after warmup at idle, now it is closer to .5 bar, so I am planning on doing the pump anyway.