S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

Variation on 300SD window regulator jaw slider repair

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 E300 TD, F350&ExcurDiesels
Arrow Variation on 300SD window regulator jaw slider repair

All:

Shared this w/ DASBOOT but for search purposes I'm posting a different approach to this common problem.

I've had two very typical window regulator jaw slider failures in a month on a 1983 and 1984 300SD --- in this case, both were rear driver's side window.

The nylon sliders with steel pin (~$4.29 ea fm importec.com) are supposed to be inserted into regulator arm and narrow end of pin mushroomed to stay in regulator arm hole. This generally requires removing the regulator mechanism from the door.

After removing the door panel and then removing the old slider (generally nylon portion is shattered) and then removing the old pin from the regulator arm...

...I took a different approach and elected to gently disassemble the new nylon slider (it clips together enclosing the retaining the pin) and used a 1/4 inch 20 die to cut threads into the narrow diameter of the pin and then reassembled the slider and pin.

(You can also use an appropriate metric die if you have an appropriately sized metric nut laying around. I assume a finer pitch thread would be better than the relatively course 20 I used but I had tons of 1/4 inch 20 nuts available)

I then slid the slider into the lubed regulator channel and attached it to the regulator arm with a 1/4 inch 20 nut (very common size around the garage...) with Locktite (as added insurance) to secure it to the regulator arm.

This approach avoids the work removing the window regulator from the door to mushroom the pin in the regulator arm.

Hope this helps someone do an easy repair on those trouble prone 300SD window sliders...

DRG