S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

strange symptoms after oil change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
560SEL
strange symptoms after oil change

i had an oil change two weeks ago and the car is behaving differently since the oil change.. whats i did was as follows:

drain the engine oil and change the oil filter...flush the engine with flushing oil and follow the instructions which came with the flushing oil.. after flushing. change the oil filter again and then fill the engine with required amout of lubricating oil..

oil change was done as castrol service station...it was 10W-40 mineral oil..what would be the recommended synthetic oil.. grade and brand both??

here is the list of symptoms car is showing..

- loss of power..
- engine running at higher rev compared to before oil change for the same road speed
- engine rpm goin higher for the same degree of pedal press compared to before oil change..
- gear up shifting not accurate enough.. sometimes it would stay in the same gear until i release the gas pedal and press again ..
- engine making more noise than before
- engine running hotter..more than 80C all the time when driving without AC
- engine takin long time to warm up after a cold start..

anybody having any idea what the hell goin on...

Last edited by farooq; 01-15-2005 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:21 PM
Almost a Member!

This won't solve your problems but many mechanics don't recommend doing any sort of flushes (be it engine or transmission) for cars with higher mileages. Here's the reasoning: in higher mileage engines there's a fair amount of deposits, sludge and scale. If you do a flush using one of the flushing fluids which contain cleaning detergents you're dislodging a lot of the caked/baked-on grime which can then get into oil and other passages and clog them thereby starving the particular part of oil...which of course leads to extra heat and wear and other bad things. Same goes for auto trannies...old trannies have deposits and glazing...cleaning flushes cleans all that stuff out and can clog passages as well as the friction surfaces and slip results.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:40 AM

560SEL
so what has exactly gone wrog with my engine.. dont tell me something scary plz!!! :P

btw what viscosity of oil is best to use for driing in hot desserted climate..

Last edited by farooq; 01-25-2005 at 05:51 AM.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:51 PM
Almost a Member!

Ok, this might not help you much and cost $$$$ but how about taking it to an M-B mechanic to check it out? But before you do that why don't you check some common things like as many underhood electrical connections as possible, see if anything is restricting air flow through the radiator, check the fluid levels (engine oil and trans fluid), check if the distributor is loose (which would affect the timing and make engine run hot, low on power, altogether 'weird'). Maybe you got a bax oil filter which is restricting or somehow doing bad things in the engine. What is your oil pressure? Is it higher or lower than before?
Old 01-25-2005, 11:54 PM

1989 560SEL, 1999 S600, 2005 S600, 2008 S550 4Matic
Originally Posted by meowy84
This won't solve your problems but many mechanics don't recommend doing any sort of flushes (be it engine or transmission) for cars with higher mileages. Here's the reasoning: in higher mileage engines there's a fair amount of deposits, sludge and scale. If you do a flush using one of the flushing fluids which contain cleaning detergents you're dislodging a lot of the caked/baked-on grime which can then get into oil and other passages and clog them thereby starving the particular part of oil...which of course leads to extra heat and wear and other bad things. Same goes for auto trannies...old trannies have deposits and glazing...cleaning flushes cleans all that stuff out and can clog passages as well as the friction surfaces and slip results.
Theory is mostly correct, however using an engine flush and then changing the oil right after wards won't allow enough time for the deposits to get into those passages and cause blockages. I've used the engine flush on three high mileage cars (one had 319,000 miles) and noticed a great difference in how the engine was sounding afterwards. The engine started to sound really smooth and more quiet at all speeds, especially at idle following the flush.

Geez, the problems farooq's experiencing are rather complex. farooq, I don't believe your oil change, engine flush, etc had anything to do with it. Have a professional mechanic check it out. Actually, a compression test might a good place to start.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:47 PM

560SEL
an oil filter changed fixed it all.. the oil filter was all clogged up even tho new and that was putting extra stress on the oil pump to push the oil and hence higher rev of the engine since the power requirement were increased by the oil pump.. now the rpm has gone down back and car driving as usual.. just have to put in another new oil filter and mobil1 semi synthetic or full synthetic oil into it soon...

this was the first time this engine was ever flushed in its life so aparently what happended was that engine flush removed a lot of dirty gob which was residing in the passage ways. With the flow of new engine oil it reached till the filter and chocked it up real fast.. am gonna keep changing filters until i have clean filter and then comes the oil change.. voila.. perfect engine

btw i have 393K KM (245K Miles) on this particular engine i am talking abt..

all other engine are working fine.. i use valvoline durablend in my E300 and mobil1 semi synthetic in 300SE

what abt oil additives such as castorl magnetic.. tho i dont belive on oil additives.. this castrol magetic **** is getting a hot seller here!!

Last edited by farooq; 01-26-2005 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:48 PM

Oh great! Glad to hear the problems have disappered. Somehow I thought you also changed the filter. Well, always make sure the filter is as new as the oil. There is no point in not changing the filter.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:13 PM
Almost a Member!

Good to hear that it wasn't anything serious. *whew*
Old 01-30-2005, 12:56 PM

560SEL
i did change the filter when i changed the oil..but well it got clogged real quick even tho new..guess the flushing did good to engine and removed lot of dirty stuff
Old 01-30-2005, 07:44 PM

Your oil is probably dirty then. You better change it again. Must have been one hell of a dirty engine. I hope there's no dirty on your timing chain/guides/rails.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:01 AM

560SEL
its all goin good guys.. im running smooth
Old 04-22-2005, 09:21 PM

2001 E320 (210.065), Brilliant Silver; 2002 Ducati ST-2, Arrest-me Red
Thumbs up Look where he is!

Hey, Farooq. Besides the high mileage, no one is reading your location; of course the oil is filthy, since you're in the middle of the Arabian Desert! I think I'd be changing the oil every 2,000 miles out there and using the fleece filters to boot. As well as changing the air filter more frequently (or buying a K&N and cleaning it frequently).

That's great to get that kind of life from a car, so keep it up.

BTW, I agree with you 100% on oil additives; the companies spend millions in R&D to put out the very best oil they can; if the additives were beneficial, wouldn't the companies put them in themselves in order to gain an advantage over their competitors?

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg
Old 05-02-2005, 03:20 AM

560SEL
thanks for your response to this old post of mine.. and

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS