S-Class (W140) 1991-1999: 300 SD, S 350TD, 300 SE 2.8, S280, 300 SE 3.2, 300 SEL 3.2, S320, S320L, 400 SE, S420, 400 SEL, S420L, 500 SE, S500, 500 SEL, S500L, 600 SE, S600, 600 SEL, S600L, 500 SEC, 600 SEC

Grandmother's 1997 S320 Super Low Miles (maybe for sale)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too many to list
Grandmother's 1997 S320 Super Low Miles (maybe for sale)

Hi,
It is a bittersweet day. My grandmother has told me that she no longer feels safe driving, as she is 91 years old. Being the car guy in the family, she offered me her 1997 S320 (black/beige) with less than 60K miles (I think a lot less but haven't gone over there yet to check). My grandfather ordered the car new in 1997, a longtime Mercedes collector. He put original sheepskin seat covers on it the day it got to the showroom, and they have never been taken off. The leather is pristine! The back seats have been used maybe 20 times. The car was obviously hardly driven..usually just a few miles down the road at low speeds. My cousin who owned a Mercedes specific repair and restoration shop took care of the car until he retired this year. My grandmother did get in an accident with the car some years ago when she rear-ended a car at a stop light. The black paint has definitely seen better days, especially on the trunk lid. I'm going to go over the whole car soon. Something has been going on with what seems to be the transmission recently, but I haven't found out for sure yet exactly what. Does anyone know about what this car might be worth now (figure it needs a new transmission) and what it would be worth if I replace the transmission? I'm trying to decide if it is worth fixing. There is sentimental attachment to this car, but I'm running out of space in my garage. I will post pics if anyone is interested.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
1991 300sel
Greetings, I live in Portland,Oregon. I just purchased a PRISTINE 1997 S500 with 120k miles. I paid $6400.00 and feel I got a good deal. It might help to understand a buyers frame of mind. I wanted this make and model, but wanted to make sure I found an exemplary car. I preferred not buying unless it met my expectations. It took me a long time to find a car that was in excellent condition. I think very clean low mileage cars are becoming more difficult to find. The fact you car has low miles has it's advantages but it's needing repairs put you at a disadvantage. I think it may be your best bet to fix transmission, and touch up paint. This would then put you in the drivers seat as a seller and while you might spend a couple thousand you find that you would get a high caliber of prospective buyers who are willing to pay more than you might think. . I hope this helps.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 643 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
To fix the trans it will probably cost more than the car is worth. If the trans is gone then I am sure there are many more things wrong. Without a clear record of maintenance it probably would be wise to sell it as is.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e300 td
Quote where is the car located

Originally Posted by BGAndrea
Hi,
It is a bittersweet day. My grandmother has told me that she no longer feels safe driving, as she is 91 years old. Being the car guy in the family, she offered me her 1997 S320 (black/beige) with less than 60K miles (I think a lot less but haven't gone over there yet to check). My grandfather ordered the car new in 1997, a longtime Mercedes collector. He put original sheepskin seat covers on it the day it got to the showroom, and they have never been taken off. The leather is pristine! The back seats have been used maybe 20 times. The car was obviously hardly driven..usually just a few miles down the road at low speeds. My cousin who owned a Mercedes specific repair and restoration shop took care of the car until he retired this year. My grandmother did get in an accident with the car some years ago when she rear-ended a car at a stop light. The black paint has definitely seen better days, especially on the trunk lid. I'm going to go over the whole car soon. Something has been going on with what seems to be the transmission recently, but I haven't found out for sure yet exactly what. Does anyone know about what this car might be worth now (figure it needs a new transmission) and what it would be worth if I replace the transmission? I'm trying to decide if it is worth fixing. There is sentimental attachment to this car, but I'm running out of space in my garage. I will post pics if anyone is interested.

Where is the car located? jms50@embarqmail.com
Old 09-28-2015, 04:28 AM

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
'97 S500 Coupe, 2016 AMG S63 Coupe, 2007 Audi Q7
Do you have pictures of the car? I would have the transmission checked to establish what needs to be repaired/replaced then discount or part the car out based on the estimate.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:52 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
S320 GL350
Don't assume it needs a new tranny - these cars often had the rubber seal leak on a control unit attached to the transmission and oil short out some electrical components - it's possible it needs a new control unit. I'd check the fluid level first with the dipstick way at the back of the engine (red plastic clamp has to be unlocked first on the dip stick). As for worth - haven't seen these take off at all (sedans generally don't versus the SLs etc). You should post a pic or two for us and tell us how many miles? A recent S600 (1999) up here sold for 25K canadian in absolutely mint condition - so your S320 might be 12K if it's low miles otherwise half that. Just my two cents. Also - remember you have a great reliable car there so I'd consider taking it (once) to a proper Mercedes dealership for a once through and oil change. They also have a habit of leaking gaskets over time (head gasket and front timing chain cover gasket) but most of these go easily to 300,000 kms and above without major problems. Congrats on the new acquisition! If you'r not into keeping it - there are people who look for these (like me).

Last edited by rosswell; 09-29-2015 at 07:55 AM. Reason: added thoughts
Old 10-14-2015, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 51 Posts
s320
front pump seals go bad with age,as fluid too.There are things like conductor plate that can be replaced.First check fluids or change anyway,check where shifter is if a drink spilled on controller.It can be cleaned,check computer coffin box under hood to see if ATF got in where the trans seal from electronics.None to leak with age. Also these radiators are bad for rotting the ATF cooler,and getting ATF in the trans.