S-Class (W140) 1991-1999: 300 SD, S 350TD, 300 SE 2.8, S280, 300 SE 3.2, 300 SEL 3.2, S320, S320L, 400 SE, S420, 400 SEL, S420L, 500 SE, S500, 500 SEL, S500L, 600 SE, S600, 600 SEL, S600L, 500 SEC, 600 SEC

loss power seats and tele-steering wheel

Old 09-03-2015, 11:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
1991 300sel
loss power seats and tele-steering wheel

Greetings to all. I just bought a very nice 1997 S500 @123,k. Everything has been fine until this week. I have lost the function of the power seats and power steering wheel. It occurred when I was adjusting steering wheel and heard the motor struggling or upon more thought sound like a half connected plug being moved about. Anyway. seats and steering wheel will not operate. All fuses are good. I am thinking a wiring harness has separated but where? And if not then what?

NEXT am getting a WHIRRING sound from power steering which has occurred. Has been normal with only change is rapid temperature drop down into 50's. NO signs of leaks. Its just like a low fluid sound "gets louder when turning steering wheel! Fluid slightly low. May be asking prematurely till I go to M-B dealer for fluid.
This car can be DAMN intimidating even for a experienced mechanic which I consider myself. Any help on these bug-a-boos would be grateful and wish all a great weekend
Old 09-04-2015, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W140
The steering wheel need a fresh / clean fluid
I have just DIY replace the filter
I bought the oem in THA, look good
(But the engine oil filter can't get a quality one)
and pour new fluid, keep it 1cm lower, this is a trick
The weir noise has been gone

Hope this help...
Enjoy
Old 09-06-2015, 03:46 PM

1991 300sel
Thanks

Thanks GREATLY. Appreciate your reply. It makes perfect sense. I will go to local M-B dealership and get filter and fluid. CHEERS, Paul
Old 04-15-2019, 10:14 PM

MB W202 C280
I just reflowed the solder to my power seat relay. They work. Super simple.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:50 AM

E320 2004
Jumpstarted the car and po600 code , check eng and srs light on

Hi everyone i own a 2004 E320 sedan base model and i have been having problems with the battery because its been saying that
battery protection conventional functions unavailable for a while when i turn on the car in the morning
this morning the battery was dead and i jumpstart the car after jumping the batt i have the check engine light and the srs light on
let it charge for a while and than shut it off srs light goes away and than comes back again
also fan was working at high speed i tookthe car for a spin and its just working fine the fan also calms down and car works properly
car reads code po600 and this message appears everytime i want to starts the car
display mulfuntion visit workshop
could it be that because my batt its probably does not have the right voltage and the mess is happening and could it be corrected by just changing the front or back battery and which battery might be bad they both show 12 volt
please help if any ideas

Last edited by Floshow; 03-26-2020 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 03-26-2020, 08:03 PM

1991 300sel
IT SOUNDS LIKE YOUR BATTERY ISN'T ANY GOOD. WHAT I HAVE EXPERIENCED WITH THIS IS RANDOM MALFUNTIONS AS A RESULT OF INADAQUETE POWER SUPPLY. AND IF IT IS YOU ARE HEADED FOR BIGGER ISSUES. ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A HIGH QUALITY BATTERY AND THAT WHEN TESTED YOUR ARE GETTING 14 VOLTS+ WHJEN RUNNING. THESE CARS TAKE HUGE AMOUNTS OF POWER FROM THE BATTERY.
IF NOT FIXED THINGS WILL BEGIN TO NOT WORK OR BURN OUT TRYING TO OPERATE WITHOUT ADAQUETE VOLTAGE. THE BATTARY V OLTAGE WHEN MEASURED SHOULD BE WELL ABOVE 12 VOLTS AND WITH ENGINE RUNNING 14V +. IF IT'S NOT YOUYR GONNA HAVE ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS. SO GO AND BUT THE BEST BATTERY YOU CAN. IT WOULD BE DUMB TO END UP WITH A MORE EXPENSIVE REPAIR BECAUSE YOU SKIMPPED ON THE COST OF A GOOD BRAND NAME BRAND BATTERY. IT'S THE BEST INSURANCE POLICY YOU CAN BUY FOR THIS CAR. PLEASE EXCUSE MY ALL CAPS TYPING. ALSO, IT WON'T HURT TO PULL OUT AND REINSTALL EACH FUSE. OVER TIME THERE CAN BE SOME CORROSION ON THE FUSE BLADES. YOU MAY HAVE 2 OR MORE FUSE BOXES BUT CLEAN THEM ALL. SMAWE FOR BATTERY TERMINALS. THESE NEED TO BE TOTALLY CORROSION FREE. ONCE YOU HAVE THE BATTERY AND CHARGING SYSTEM WORKING AS IT SHOULD, YOUR ISSUES MAY GO AWAY. IF NOT, THIS MUST BE THE STARTING POINT TO DIAGNOSE ANY OTHER ELECTRICAL ISSUES. CHEERS, PAUL
The following users liked this post:
Floshow (03-26-2020)
Old 03-26-2020, 08:32 PM

E320 2004
Thank you Paul
i just wanted to make sure and hear someones else opinion first who understands about cars and also my battery are over 5 or more years old so i think i got lucky even pushing these batterys until now
Old 06-15-2020, 10:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 C55 AMG
If I disconnect the battery and don't perform the reset, my C55 won't shift out of 1st gear. There are no warning lights or MFD messages, at start up or after. I recently removed my driver's seat bottom and disconnected all the connectors under the seat. Although I didn't disconnect the battery, I noticed that the car would not shift out of 1st. I pulled over and reset the steering/windows/sunroof/COMAND and MFD language, region, time, date. Not being able to go faster than 30 miles really gets your attention.
Old 12-16-2021, 06:26 PM

CLS55, CL63
Just fixed mine on a 2009 Cl63. Stuck in the down position. I tried all the methods described here and none would loosen. I removed the steering wheel and clock spring and found access to the stuck screw. Blasted it with some liquid wrench and twisted a bit with some long pliers and it moves again!

One more step down for restoring my "old" CL63