S-Class (W140) 1991-1999: 300 SD, S 350TD, 300 SE 2.8, S280, 300 SE 3.2, 300 SEL 3.2, S320, S320L, 400 SE, S420, 400 SEL, S420L, 500 SE, S500, 500 SEL, S500L, 600 SE, S600, 600 SEL, S600L, 500 SEC, 600 SEC

W140 chopping the roof off!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W140
W140 chopping the roof off!

I have a 1999 W140, S500.
I'm going to chop the roof off as my next project.
Would love all the advice from the pro's, the jokers, p..s takers and anyone with a comment good or bad, all welcome.
I want this to be a cracker, I'm Irish, living in Dubai, rains 4 days a year, can't find anyone who has done this before, want it to be cool and look great.
Can't afford a new one, but want this one to look better than new.
I mean class!
Old 08-08-2016, 12:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
1997 Mercedes S420
Before you chop the roof off I would carefully consider its value as part of the structural component of the car. These cars are designed to collapse in front and in back to keep the passenger cabin intact during a collision and the roof is an important part of that. The other thing you may want to consider is the effect it would have on the strength of the chassis. While I don't know for sure, I suspect it might cause the chassis to eventually sag a bit in the middle and is certainly something I would check out prior to launching this project.
The following users liked this post:
anziani (08-11-2016)
Old 08-08-2016, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W140
Originally Posted by pncurtis
Before you chop the roof off I would carefully consider its value as part of the structural component of the car. These cars are designed to collapse in front and in back to keep the passenger cabin intact during a collision and the roof is an important part of that. The other thing you may want to consider is the effect it would have on the strength of the chassis. While I don't know for sure, I suspect it might cause the chassis to eventually sag a bit in the middle and is certainly something I would check out prior to launching this project.
Thank you PN,

Yes I have considered this and had even taught of wielding the rear doors shut before cutting the roof, bringing a v shaped oval steel bar from the bulkhead to the A frame of the rear door post.
Even wield all doors closed and have it as a hop in Dukes of Hasard stylish.

I would love this more for aesthetics than performance, more of a cruiser and show piece than a performance machine.
I just want the front windscreen all that's left above the door line and even the doors windowless, very smooth lines with a big Merc 4 seater.

Can't find anyone that has done this yet!

Please keep the advice coming 👍