Key Fob issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 S500 4MATIC
Key Fob issue

Hi everyone,

I have tons of issues with my car but ill just focus on the key for now. I recently had to change my positive power harness (goes from battery to engine) because it was melted in some other incident. So after I received the car I could no longer lock the door automatically. The alarm turns on and everything but the locks will not work.

When I first got the car it wasn't working as well but i messed around with settings in the instrument cluster and some how got it to work. I tried it again but I can not seem to get it to work anymore.

I spoke to a guy from the dealer but he wants to blame my trunk and that doesn't make any sense to me because it worked before. So to avoid the dealer all together I wanted to know if anybody has ever experienced this issue or if there is a reset they forgot to do because the ones on this forum don't seem to work.

Appreciate any help thanks.

P.s the interior unlock and lock do not work as well.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:45 PM

2001 Mercedes s500 amg sport
dromero007:
You description of the reset procedures which you've tried wasn't perfectly clear, however I seemed to have had a similar problem with my key fob not being able to automatically lock and unlock all of my doors and trunk. I ultimately changed the fuse (responsible for the doors or the pneumatic pump powering the door and trunk locks) located at the base of the passenger side rear seat. I then proceeded to follow the reset procedure described in my owners manual. I believe it involved simultaneously pressing two of the buttons on my key fob, etc. My problem probably originated as a result of the pneumatic pump not being able to promptly close my trunk. Consequently the system turned off the pump to prevent it from burning out. After resetting everything worked as designed. Good luck.

Last edited by ejack; 05-25-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:17 AM

2005 S500 4MATIC
Thanks for the advice ejack.

The only thing I did was take out the fuse and reinsert it because it looked fine. From what I read that resets the pneumatic pump. Can you give me further detail about pressing 2 of the buttons on my key fob because I tried that as well but I might of done it wrong because it didn't work.

Also I hear air coming out when I lock my car I assumed this was normal because I never owned a car with air suspension. Does this sound right or do you think I have a bigger problem on my hand?
Old 05-30-2013, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 404 Likes on 348 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
My 2003 S430 had a failed driver's door soft-close diaphragm, and the computer stopped trying to make it (and that door lock as well) work (all other soft-close units, door locks, etc. still worked). After replacing the driver's door lock/soft-close unit, it still didn't work until I pulled and reinserted the 20 Amp fuse behind the right rear passenger's heels. After I did that, resetting that computer, all was well.

The car releases air from behind the right front fender (where the Airmatic pump lives) when I lock or unlock the car. Air escaping from inside a door, under a seat, from the trunk, etc., indicates a problem with the pneumatic locking/closing system.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:55 AM

2005 S500 4MATIC
Originally Posted by wallyp
My 2003 S430 had a failed driver's door soft-close diaphragm, and the computer stopped trying to make it (and that door lock as well) work (all other soft-close units, door locks, etc. still worked). After replacing the driver's door lock/soft-close unit, it still didn't work until I pulled and reinserted the 20 Amp fuse behind the right rear passenger's heels. After I did that, resetting that computer, all was well.

The car releases air from behind the right front fender (where the Airmatic pump lives) when I lock or unlock the car. Air escaping from inside a door, under a seat, from the trunk, etc., indicates a problem with the pneumatic locking/closing system.

Thanks for the advice.Taking the fuse out didn't resolve my problem though. You were right when I press the unlock and lock button I can hear the PSE unit try to work in the trunk but nothing. Hopefully I won't need a new PSE unit and I can just fix the leak or whatever is wrong with it.

Thanks again