S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Help Pls: Rattling & Creaking Noise Coming from Suspension(?)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 E320 (W211)
Help Pls: Rattling & Creaking Noise Coming from Suspension(?)

There's a rattling noise coming from the driver-side of the engine compartment of my father's 2000 S430 w/Sport Pkg. I'm assuming its suspension-related because the noise only occurs when driven over uneven/broken pavement (such as brick-laden roads, or over small dips/ruts in the road, etc.). It only comes from the front driver-side of the car.

(I've actually heard a similar noise before, back in HS when I was driving a car with cut springs. Back then, it turned out the sound was because one of my struts had bent. I don't think this can be the case w/my father's car as it is completely STOCK.)

I've tried getting this looked at by the service dept., but unfortunately they "can't replicate" the problem. Has anyone had this problem before or does anyone have a clue as to what it might be?

Also, I've noticed his car has started making a "creaking noise" when first opening the car door to get in (which causes the air suspension to elevate the car slightly). Could this be related to the problem above?

And would any of these problems/repairs be covered under his starmark extended warranty (100k mi warranty - he is currently at 90k mi)? Or would the service dept try to label it as "normal wear and tear"?

Please advise. Thx.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lexus
Ball joints cause the squeaking

Common problem with s-class especially with high miles. the ball joint boots crack and water gets in them from car washing or road, etc. No lube = creeking sound. Not sure about the other problem while driving could be the same thing not sure. But the symptom of getting in the car and the car squeeking coming from the front shock areas is ball joint lube problem. MB has a tsb on this. Just get you ball joints replaced and get a new alignment, warranty might cover it.