S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Dvd Video Unlock

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s430
how to i find out if i have a widescreen euro... my dad just bought the car its a 2006 s430. he has been on my *** about getting the dvd player to work. the sound and everything works but no picture. i dont understand why does it come with the dvd option when u can even play movies in park..
Old 09-22-2007, 08:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Originally Posted by MBS430PL
how to i find out if i have a widescreen euro... my dad just bought the car its a 2006 s430. he has been on my *** about getting the dvd player to work. the sound and everything works but no picture. i dont understand why does it come with the dvd option when u can even play movies in park..
First, the car is in the U.S.; chances are overwhelming that it has a U.S. specification COMAND, not Euro. If so, it is working exactly as designed. The U.S. version does not even have the chipset for decoding DVD video.

Some people have retrofitted Euro spec COMANDs to try to get DVD video, but even these must be "unlocked" to show video in motion; they'll only show it when in Park. MB is not releasing the unlock codes any more. Retrofitting Euro spec COMANDS can cause problems tuning radios, since the tuning intervals are different (so is the frequency coverage) - some have been successful at workarounds for this.

As an '06, it has a widescreen COMAND. They have all been wide screen since '03.

It comes with the DVD option so that you can listen to DVD music videos in DVD quality; and so that you can burn mp3 CDs and DVDs and store 4.7 GB of music on each DVD. The slightest effort at browsing on this forum will tell you how.

If your dad doesn't buy this explanation, hand him the mouse and let him do some searches under "COMAND video" and "DVD video." You're not going to be able to activate what isn't there.

Last edited by Skylaw; 09-22-2007 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:52 AM

2012 GL450 (X164)
DVD Activation in US W-220 (S-500 4Matic)

Greetings,
Just a general question to the group regarding video potential in this vehicle.
I am new to this forum and a first time Benz owner, prior to that we had 4 Jags. Moved over to Mercedes Benz for the full size sedan with AWD.

Regarding the DVD unlock potential, I am a bit confused on why my made for the US MB Command Manual would clearly show instructions for video controls (see pages 65 to 75). I have the Command unit with concealed cassette on top of screen and concealed CD/DVD behind bottom of screen.

When I swithch to the audio selector and choose the internal CD/DVD, I see a DVD video icon on screen (just the same as you would on any DVD video player)

Also, on the Command screen there are options for items such as 4:3, 16:9, Widescreen, and Camera Angle, Color, Contrast, etc.

When I put in a Video DVD, all the menu option seem to work, surround sound audio is phenomenal, but NO PICTURE ! Just a message saying
"Screen has been dimmed to not distract the driver" or something like that.

Why would they go to the trouble of including all the on screen options and also put 10 pages of video related instructions in the Made for US market vehicles, if the potential didn't exist?

Somewhere, somehow there has to be a programming work around for this that will allow us to unlock for viewing? At least while in Park mode?? AND If not, is anyone aware of a Video Out on the back of this Command unit that would allow video output to drive installation of separate rear seat headrest monitors?

Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Chuck
Old 10-17-2007, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by Cap't Chuck
Greetings,
Just a general question to the group regarding video potential in this vehicle.
I am new to this forum and a first time Benz owner, prior to that we had 4 Jags. Moved over to Mercedes Benz for the full size sedan with AWD.

Regarding the DVD unlock potential, I am a bit confused on why my made for the US MB Command Manual would clearly show instructions for video controls (see pages 65 to 75). I have the Command unit with concealed cassette on top of screen and concealed CD/DVD behind bottom of screen.

When I swithch to the audio selector and choose the internal CD/DVD, I see a DVD video icon on screen (just the same as you would on any DVD video player)

Also, on the Command screen there are options for items such as 4:3, 16:9, Widescreen, and Camera Angle, Color, Contrast, etc.

When I put in a Video DVD, all the menu option seem to work, surround sound audio is phenomenal, but NO PICTURE ! Just a message saying
"Screen has been dimmed to not distract the driver" or something like that.

Why would they go to the trouble of including all the on screen options and also put 10 pages of video related instructions in the Made for US market vehicles, if the potential didn't exist?

Somewhere, somehow there has to be a programming work around for this that will allow us to unlock for viewing? At least while in Park mode?? AND If not, is anyone aware of a Video Out on the back of this Command unit that would allow video output to drive installation of separate rear seat headrest monitors?

Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Chuck
It makes no sense that there's a complete menu dedicated to video playback but no way to see video, but that's the situation with the US COMAND you have. The video decoder hardware has been deleted from this unit, so there is no possibility of activating the feature.

My guess is that MB was expecting to get the rear-seat entertainment package to the US market late in the W220 life cycle, so had the software of the 2004 COMAND include support. They would then include the decoder hardware with the RSE package and not have to change the software or manual (except to add an RSE section). As we now know, getting RSE to the US was a bigger challenge than they expected it would be in 2004.

Bottom line: you need a Euro COMAND with video decode hardware to watch DVDs.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:56 AM

2012 GL450 (X164)
DVD - Unlock & other questions?

Thanks for the quick reply, what you are saying sounds logical in light of the various front seat video laws in the U.S. I can understand the embedded software and on-screen option being there in case they implemented RSE. What doesn't make sense is why MB includes at least 10 pages of detailed dvd video instructions in the Command owners manual, with no electro-mechanical possibility of this working? This is what makes me think that somewhere, somehow there is a U.S. model workaround for this.

I am aware of a 3rd party solution that is "supposed to" work on this vehicle, but it requires sending my Command in for modifictions, installing a video adapter and independent dvd player. (see: www.TVandNav2Go.com) A little more complicated than I would like, but a potential solution.

I am curious if there is anyone who has been able to have the actual video circuitry installed in a US Command head unit? IE: Using the internal DVD player to acutally play video? (ideally on the Command Screen or on separate Rear Seat Enternainment screens) If I am going to go through the trouble of taking out the Command unit, I'd prefer to have the original one reinstalled with the necessary mods as opposed to the euro-Command if at all possible.

There has to be a sharp Electrical / Electronics Engineer in this group who can figure this out! Certainly seems there is enough demand for this mod, even if it is only video out to RSE headrest monitors.

Best Regards,
Chuck
Old 10-18-2007, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The manual instructions and COMAND features are present in my '05 as well. However, of course, I get the message that the video is "grayed out."

The "sharp engineer" would want to make money for the time invested in design and marketing, and would have to be sure he did not run afoul of MB or the COMAND manufacturer's patents or copyrights.

The situation is pretty frustrating - for the owner, and especially for someone who might try the solution you propose.

A few years ago I corresponded with the developer of the MikBox (which allowed use of non-Mercedes branded plug-in cell phones) about developing an adapter that would allow use of the Sirius satellite inputs for an iPod integration for cars lacking an AUX input (before MB came out with its adapter - which still requires an AUX input). The concerns above are what kept him from tackling such a project. I don't blame him.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:09 AM

2004 S55 AMG
X2 on the TV and Nav 2 Go. You won't have to sweat getting a Euro model but you'll have to deal with the downtime...
Old 10-18-2007, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by Skylaw
The manual instructions and COMAND features are present in my '05 as well. However, of course, I get the message that the video is "grayed out."

The "sharp engineer" would want to make money for the time invested in design and marketing, and would have to be sure he did not run afoul of MB or the COMAND manufacturer's patents or copyrights.

The situation is pretty frustrating - for the owner, and especially for someone who might try the solution you propose.

A few years ago I corresponded with the developer of the MikBox (which allowed use of non-Mercedes branded plug-in cell phones) about developing an adapter that would allow use of the Sirius satellite inputs for an iPod integration for cars lacking an AUX input (before MB came out with its adapter - which still requires an AUX input). The concerns above are what kept him from tackling such a project. I don't blame him.
There is no legal reason a person could not devlop a "Fix" for this comand issue as long as it does not make any claims of ownership to the any exiting patents.. There are no copyrights for specific electrical components, and there is no copyright infringement for modifying something you own.even if you marketed you modification to the masses. Otherwise every time someone put a new pump in their dishwasher they could be sued.. OR more in line to what I do, everytime you hear the same snare drum on a record or the same tamborine, lawsuits would be flying.

To prevent this, there are specific rights that owners of copyrights and patents have and these are only cover intricate specific detail about the product that makes it unique in nature and identify s specifically with its creator... Stairway to heaven is identified by the melodic guitar riff not the actual sound of the guitar that can be heard in a million other records..
The Mercedes comand as a unit identifies the company not any of the crystals or resisistors that are inside.

Why am I talking to Skylaw about legal stuff?? LOL

Anyway, anybody at anytime can come out with any device that is considered an ad-on to any electronic device that has already been released to the public. The only time there would be infringement is if the device was being held in secrecy for some reason... or not in the public domain, and the add-on device made the public aware of its existence prematurely and that awareness had some effect on the overall marketability of that product.

Of course this is not the case here..

The big issue here is who wants to spend the time and the money developing something that you are 100% certain to get nothing in return for. Also all of the boards and many of the compnents on the boards inside the comand were made by third parties and assembled at Alpine,or Becker or Siemens who were licensed by mercedes to provide the logic and programming for their comands.. So who do you go to for white papers?? Yep Nowhere a bid dead end..
So even for a good engineer, it hardly seems worth the trouble for what is swiftly becoming old technology anywayz...

when I took mine apart, I was actually considering buying a euro comand, dissecting it and taking the two and make myself a Hybrid unit because they have a lot of common parts.. but that is a $1000.00 experiment that I am not motivated to tackle at this time...

P.S

Why wont this thread die?? it keeps popping up every few weeks making me want to shoot my comand all over again..
Old 10-18-2007, 01:02 PM

2012 GL450 (X164)
Sorry if I struck a nerve that never seems to heal.

This isn't the only thread out there, it's on other parts of this owners forum, in other non-related owner forums and elsewhere on the web. The only thing in common anywhere you look are a lot of frustrated US-Spec Command owners.

I posted here because the people responding seem a bit more informed than other sites I have been on. As a newby Benz owner, I appreciate everyone taking time to reply.

Every solution I have seen so far doesn't seem like it will be worth the time or the money. If I see anything new about this topic, I'll post it up.
Thanks again!
Old 10-18-2007, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
BTW, these S-class DVD-drive, video-decoderless COMANDS are made by Siemens.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:51 PM

2000 S430
Originally Posted by fusion2007
yes read earlier in the thread
i'm not seeing iti have a 2000 s430 could someone be so kind as to point me in the direction of the unlock code?
Old 10-18-2007, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by icwater
i'm not seeing iti have a 2000 s430 could someone be so kind as to point me in the direction of the unlock code?

icewater..

Most of the input in this thread does not even pertain to your car. These are 2004 and above that have the widescreen DVD drives in the cd slot. Your car is all CD based so there is really nothing for you to unlock.. Sorry about the confusion.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:07 PM

2000 S430
Originally Posted by my06clk
icewater..

Most of the input in this thread does not even pertain to your car. These are 2004 and above that have the widescreen DVD drives in the cd slot. Your car is all CD based so there is really nothing for you to unlock.. Sorry about the confusion.
i got that i was just refering to this post and the answer i quoted, i just like playing with all the gadgetry
Originally Posted by DiegoMiranda
sunman

The COMAND of the S500 - 2000 is posible to get in the engeenering mode...?
Old 10-18-2007, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
icwater,

Try this:

http://www.mercupgrades.com/Mercedes...rticle-13.html
Old 10-19-2007, 07:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There is no legal reason a person could not devlop a "Fix" for this comand issue as long as it does not make any claims of ownership to the any exiting patents.. There are no copyrights for specific electrical components, and there is no copyright infringement for modifying something you own.even if you marketed you modification to the masses. Otherwise every time someone put a new pump in their dishwasher they could be sued.. OR more in line to what I do, everytime you hear the same snare drum on a record or the same tamborine, lawsuits would be flying.

To prevent this, there are specific rights that owners of copyrights and patents have and these are only cover intricate specific detail about the product that makes it unique in nature and identify s specifically with its creator... Stairway to heaven is identified by the melodic guitar riff not the actual sound of the guitar that can be heard in a million other records..
The Mercedes comand as a unit identifies the company not any of the crystals or resisistors that are inside.
Without going into a lengthy discussion of patent and copyright law that wouldn't get anyone anywhere, suffice it to say that if someone had to add the third party equipment in a way that Siemens already does, and has patented, one may easily run afoul of patent laws. Even worse, if Siemens or any other patent holder sued, it would be very expensive for the sole "sharp engineer" to defend.

Similarly, if one had to incorporate copyrighted code, especially adding more to it, to get the chipset to work, one has violated copyright law - with heavy penalties, and a lot of money for the "sharp engineer" to defend the suit.

To use your "Stairway to Heaven" analogy, it's not the use of the chips and other electronic components (the guitar) that is the violation; it is assembling them in the unique way (the riff) that Siemens, in this case, has.

I agree that if all one has to do is plug in a standard chipset that would work with existing code, there would be no problem. It's just like adding any "option" after-the-fact.

However, it is often the concerns over defending the suits - which Mercedes and other manufacturers can be quite aggressive in threatening - that stops many efforts. The violation is not claiming "ownership" of the intellectual property; it is the act of copying it (my06clk, I know that in your line of work you're very familiar with the RIAA).

Last edited by Skylaw; 10-19-2007 at 07:49 AM.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Without going into a lengthy discussion of patent and copyright law that wouldn't get anyone anywhere, suffice it to say that if someone had to add the third party equipment in a way that Siemens already does, and has patented, one may easily run afoul of patent laws. Even worse, if Siemens or any other patent holder sued, it would be very expensive for the sole "sharp engineer" to defend.

Similarly, if one had to incorporate copyrighted code, especially adding more to it, to get the chipset to work, one has violated copyright law - with heavy penalties, and a lot of money for the "sharp engineer" to defend the suit.

To use your "Stairway to Heaven" analogy, it's not the use of the chips and other electronic components (the guitar) that is the violation; it is assembling them in the unique way (the riff) that Siemens, in this case, has.

I agree that if all one has to do is plug in a standard chipset that would work with existing code, there would be no problem. It's just like adding any "option" after-the-fact.

However, it is often the concerns over defending the suits - which Mercedes and other manufacturers can be quite aggressive in threatening - that stops many efforts. The violation is not claiming "ownership" of the intellectual property; it is the act of copying it (my06clk, I know that in your line of work you're very familiar with the RIAA).
Agreed 100% but we care talking about a car stereo here... plus the idea that some guy would be sitting behind a desk waiting to see if someone has cloned old command units is just insane...

My point to all of that was It's my radio and I can pretty much do what I please with it... but I think we are just generalizing too much here. Again,, its a car radio. And to my point about costs and returns, Usually because of the costs of litigation, Publishers, Atrists,and RiAA'a attorneys normally won't even bother with a lawsuit unless the defendant has generated a significant about of cash from his actions. If the record went wood, why sue spend 200K trying to get 2mil when the infringee only has 20K. But if the record wen triple platinum, then its a different story.

If say someone had infringes on MB's little radio territory, I don't think there are enough applicable vehicles out there to make the research worth it less more substantiate any outside lawsuits...

There is one really good example of this going on right now that we could talk about but I don't want to put the people out there but I will PM you Skylaw.. It's pretty interesting and as is ties in to your previous point.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's true there is an economic decision to make in whether to pursue an infringement suit. But that's what the housewife who just had a jury slap her with a $222,000 judgement for making 120 songs available to others on the Web thought. I doubt she considered it at all when she made the songs available; but she certainly did when she decided not to take the RIAA's settlement offer (usually between $2K and 5K), and contested their suit.

In my PM reply, I pointed out an inventor who was threatened (not by MB, but another company) over an add-on he developed; not because of the electronics, but what he had to do with code to get it to work. They do pay attention.

My former work often involved defending infringement case, pointing our why our client's device was different from theirs. Believe me, the patent and copyright holders watch - and our services to defend infringement claims didn't come cheap.

Although legally a possibility, coming after you as the person who bought and used a single device would make little sense. It's the developer they'd go after.

Last edited by Skylaw; 10-20-2007 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
It's true there is an economic decision to make in whether to pursue an infringement suit. But that's what the housewife who just had a jury slap her with a $222,000 judgement for making 120 songs available to others on the Web thought. I doubt she considered it at all when she made the songs available; but she certainly did when she decided not to take the RIAA's settlement offer (usually between $2K and 5K), and contested their suit.

In my PM reply, I pointed out an inventor who was threatened (not by MB, but another company) over an add-on he developed; not because of the electronics, but what he had to do with code to get it to work. They do pay attention.

My former work often involved defending infringement case, pointing our why our client's device was different from theirs. Believe me, the patent and copyright holders watch - and our services to defend infringement claims didn't come cheap.

Although legally a possibility, coming after you as the person who bought and used a single device would make little sense. It's the developer they'd go after.
It would be interesting, for sure. I'm not sure if we're theorizing about patent or copyright infringement (or maybe both), but I'd think fair use and first sale doctrines for copyrights and patents, respectively, would cover any non-commercial add-ons. I'm not an attorney of any sort, much less IP, but my employer has the largest patent portfolio in the world so some of this stuff has seeped into my DNA.

I think any reverse engineering needed to figure out how do add a video decoder to your COMAND would be protected. The courts have been pretty generous, considering reverse-engineering pro-invention. Certainly none of us signed any End User License Agreements for COMAND software that could limit our ability to hack away.

If the integration of a video decoder infringes Siemens patents, I guess the developer could be vulnerable. But chances are that the developer will locate the same part that Siemens uses and purchase it, probably from Siemens. In that case, there's no real invention. About the worst exposure I can imagine is loss of warranty coverage.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by whoover
If the integration of a video decoder infringes Siemens patents, I guess the developer could be vulnerable. But chances are that the developer will locate the same part that Siemens uses and purchase it, probably from Siemens. In that case, there's no real invention. About the worst exposure I can imagine is loss of warranty coverage.
Perfect.. So backing my statement of who sues who?? Anyway.. I could give a flying crap who thinks they own patents to what.. If I want to hack my comand I'd like to invite anyone to try to stop me...
BUt this is all rhetoric anyhow.. there is jut no possibilities of none of these forced crashing together EVER..
Electonics technology grows faster than a weed in the yard.. find me some bored guy who is remotely worried about loosing revenue because somebody figured out a way to make their 4 year personal vehicle's old outdated radio work better, and I will show you the elephant man.

neither will ever happen Why are we even talking about this?

Anyone have an old Euro command thay want to depart with cheap? I need some parts for an experiment
Old 10-22-2007, 07:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I could give a flying crap who thinks they own patents to what.. If I want to hack my comand I'd like to invite anyone to try to stop me...
The thing that initiated the discussion was the suggestion that the "sharp engineer" invent a workaround in CAPT Chuck's post - not an individual owner of a unit who wants to alter it it for noncommercial purposes. That's pretty clear from what I wrote - and consistent with Whoover's contribution. You're losing the focus a bit.

If you want to alter your unit, that's fine. If you need to reverse engineer a patented assembly, you can do that too. If all you're doing is adding a commercially available part to complete an assembly, it's no problem. If you find through your reverse engineering that only a unique, patented part is available to do the job, and you build an identical one and use it on your own unit, who will know? If you need to program your one-shot add-on with Siemen's code (not simply using the software's output), who will know?

If you reverse engineer an item protected only as a trade secret, and you have signed no agreement to protect the secret, no problem. If you reverse engineer a design and through that process find a commercial part that does the trick, no problem.

But if you reverse engineer and produce a patented assembly for commercial purposes, that's a problem. Same if you must copy any copyrighted code to get it to work.

Hack away, have fun. But be careful selling it commercially.

Last edited by Skylaw; 10-22-2007 at 08:07 AM.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I guess I did go a little off track huh?? LOL..

I guess at the end of the day nothing will change either way.. I've aldready had My dismantle your comand fix, so I doubt it I can muster anymore interest in doing it again.. I don't know where I found the time the first round...

STILL AND INDIANS FAN!!
Old 10-26-2007, 06:23 AM

C230 komp (202)
Ref : unlocking 211 dvd function

Hi checked out your instructions. and they look pretty ok.

I have a customer who wants to be able to veiw his dvd while driving and wants me to try and unlock.

only question at the moment cause I have not tried your instructions is, Will this work on a 2004 european spec 211 320cdi

cause there seems to be some confusion as to what years this is possible in.

thanking you in advance for any assistance/advice given...
Old 12-13-2007, 04:57 PM

C350
2008 C350 (W204) - Command Unlock

I've been looking for an unlock code for 2008 C350 (W204) command and had no luck... i tried the command unlocking combination for other models but (of course) it didn't work...
did anyone come across one?

please help this geek to get into the command engineering mode... LOL

thanks guys!
Old 12-13-2007, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by dspogreev
I've been looking for an unlock code for 2008 C350 (W204) command and had no luck... i tried the command unlocking combination for other models but (of course) it didn't work...
did anyone come across one?

please help this geek to get into the command engineering mode... LOL

thanks guys!
Only way I know to do it is here: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w204...vd-motion.html
Old 12-15-2007, 01:34 AM

2008 c350 saks 5th ave
i just got the saks 5th ave i love it . and now i have the video in motion working thanks to www.mbdoctor.com. i bought and adapter there its plug and play.it unlockes tv,video,dvd and aux he is the only one who sell the adapter to bypass the system so it doesn't shut of when i drive .i paid 350 and installed it myself .its the only way to make it work ..watch the video and enjoy your car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcw4U7Kwk84

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: Dvd Video Unlock