Some fact about HID/Xenon upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 05:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pinto
what size did you buy 3" or 2.5"
/\
do you notice any difference in cut off line?

do you have pics?

Last edited by Viet_Amg408; 01-31-2011 at 06:04 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 118i E87
Lightbulb

Hi,
I just wanted to share my experience with my HID kit installation.

Previously i had a WRX MY01 fitted with an 35W HID Kit bought on eBay (US seller) in 2007.
I Sold the WRX and kept the HID kit, and now I got a BMW 118i E87 with stock reflector Headlights.
So I bought a new set of Canbus - 50W HID kit from ebay (china seller).

The Canbus kit has issues:
1. Flickering when start up
2. One of the light went off for few secs and on after engine started.

Temp Fixes:
1. Resistors = failed
2. capacitors = failed
3. 5w Bulbs = failed

After much mucking about, I've decided to remove the whole thing since the warning DING DING DING noise keep pop-up every minutes.

During the removal, I connected the Spare OLD (35W Ballasts) to the 50W HID bulbs.

Turn on - Start Engine - and ran System check =>>
NO MORE ERROR and Warning DING DING.

I had it for about 3 days now and still working great - No flickering no errors but the less bright compare to the 50w - I dont mind since it is much better than stock light.

Can someone please shed some light on how the old ballast (35W, NON-CANBUS) would works on the BMW??
Old 04-11-2011, 06:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
probably hard to guess since this is a mercedes forum...

A good source for BMW HID and other BMW parts is
http://www.ddmtuning.com

you can get a complete HID kit with bulbs ballasts and lifetime warranty for $30. They are on the bimmerforums and provide decent service if there are any problems
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Ap...Raptor-HID-Kit
Old 04-24-2011, 06:19 PM

slk
xenon to xenon

I have a 2001 s280 that came stock with Xenon lights... is it plug and play if I upgrade my lamps to the newer 2003- up OEM headlight with xenon(projector)
Old 06-27-2011, 08:03 PM

S600 wAMG Sport PKG
Originally Posted by hegar817
Ok guys yall are going to hate me but love me as well.

So I installed Acura TL ZKW-R lenses on the S55 and tp go ahead and spill it out it is definately an upgrade from the factory projector lenses.

The install took about 2 days of my time considering that it is recommended that you allow the silicone from reassembling the headlight housing to dry.

So you remove the headlights from the car with simple tools, that is if you are some what mechanically inclined. No need to remove the bumper just the 2 8mm screws the headlight is bolted on. Then you remove 3 10mm screws that hold the bumper in place next to the grill. Go get to the point is you are not mechanically inclined I recommend that you do not attenpt to do this on your own.

Once the headlights are removed you need to bake the headlights in the oven at 350 degrees for about 4 minutes so that the silicone gets soft and you can pry out that headlight clear housing.

Once you remove the cover of the low beam you will see that the projector setup is bolted on with 4 hex screw bolts. Remove all 4 to allow the projecto assembly to be loose. You will then see that you are working with to snap off the projectors cover that faces the front of the headlight. Once again guys if you are not mechanically this is not recommended for you. You will then know what you are doing once observing what lies ahead of you.

Pretty much once you see what needs to be done, you replace the projector lenses with the ZKW-R lenses and re-assemble the same way you dissasembled. I recommend that you pickup about 3 gray tube of silicone sold at autozone wich is what i needed so that you can bond that front clear headlight lense with the rear.

I repeat again, I apologize if my instructions are not detailed and accurate as if you are not mechanically inclined, I RECOMMEND YOU DO NOT TRY THIS.

Ok, so everything is backin place. There is a good chance that your beams are not pointing the beam in the right place. Come to find out, you do not need any star diagnostic or whatever that BS is called. There are 2 white looking screws on the top of each headlight that allow you to aim your beam how ever you want. The white outer screws control the beam from going horizontal that the 2 inner white screws contol the beam vertically.

Overall, I think I am the 1st to post something of this nature as I was not satisfied with the light output from the original Mercedes projector lenses and can honestly say if done right you will be satisfied with the results by replacing the projector lenses with the ZKW-R lenses. The light output is about 35% more and the so called border light line is quite more visual.

Do you have any pics?
Old 07-13-2011, 03:42 AM

1999 e320 4matic

ok, I have a 99 e320 4matic - w210.

I would like my car to have headlights lows-highs & fogs to look like a 747 coming in for a landing.

Im getting tried of searching thru-out the internet & reading forms about converting the whole front-end to hid.

How or who can I find in the southwest region to complete such a task?

I don't have hours on end to be sitting in front computer looking for someplace or someone that shall stand behind their work. If something shall go wrong, you have someone or someplace to turn too.

Especially, I do not wish to buy junk.

Sorry if I sound like Im coming-off harsh.

But I'm ready to pull the trigger & not sure where to turn too.

All positive & constructive suggestive are welcomed?

Originally Posted by zam2000
I have quite a few people asking for xenon upgrade opinions on their car (either already have xenon reflector, or halogen projector), here's my take:

My 2003 S430 didn't come with OEM xenon, though projector, it's the halogen one. I believe the majority of the S430 have halogen headlight, whether it's the old reflector style headlight, or the facelift projector one. They use standard H7 halogen bulb, produces lousy light output. All S500/600 came with standard xenon.

I think halogen light output is aweful. If you ever have aftermarket headlight, halogen on aftermarket headlight is even worse, almost on the dangerous border line level.

Most people simply buy an aftermarket HID kit, and slap them onto their halogen headlight. Result come from terrible to average at most. I'll list three popular upgrade often seen here:

1. Putting xenon kit on halogen reflector headlight (as 2000-2002 S class): reflector for halogen is designed to reflect light differently, so if you put in an HID kit, you will have a lot of glare, but not much far-beam light. You'll anoyn lot of other driver. 5/10 at best.

2. Putting xenon kit on halogen proejctor headlight (as on 2003-later S class): halogen and xenon light source have different focal point, so putting xenon kit into the halogen projector, though improve light output somewhat significantly, still do not give you good light output as OEM projector xenon light. Not as much glare as the (1) option, but not good light distribution as the OEM either. 6.5/10 at best. Just imagine using a SLR camera that didn't focus well.

3. Using AFTERMAKRET projector style headlight, as often seen on eBay. Notice that the projector design, and more importantly, projector lens, control how light is distributed. Though look simple, it's very complex in design & lens material used (just as camera lense control how good the picture will be). All aftermarket headlight (projector style) produce VERY LOUSY light output, regardless of whether you have halogen on xenon kit on it . Like slapping lipstick on a monkey, it's still a monkey. Not worth it.

However, it's quite obvious that both the aftermarket and OEM projector style headlight make the car look nice, and you can have the best of both with them: nice looking and good light output. The proper way is to open up the headlight, throw away the old projector (whether OEM or aftermarket), and retrofit a set of OEM xenon projector, along with xenon ballast & bulb (4300K), lot of work, but you will have amazing result. For the W220 headlight, a pair of Bosch 3" Bi-xenon projector should fit right in. This is the same projector used in OEM SL, CL, S, C (yep), SLR, and most BMW & Audi. Yes, lot of them use the same projector, ballast, and bulb. If you can get a pair of the ECE one, then you get yourself even better light output.

Also, people often go w/ 6000-8000K bulb color for that purple look. Ever drive behind a BMW or Audi at night ? Light color is totally white, only when you look at it approaching that you see that purple hue flicker. The purple is created by optical effect on the lens. All OEM xenon use 4300K xenon bulb, for best light output, and the projector lens help to give them that purple look. The aftermarket junk can't never get you that, so they up the Kelvin temperature of the bulb (6000-10000K), to make the light go purple all the time, hurt the eyes while driving a lot, and reduce useful light output significantly, especially when it rains or snow. These aftermarket xenon bulb is more or less spell out "cheap aftermarket upgrade, baaaaawaaaa !!! " . Again, go with OEM ballast and 4300K bulb if you can, they last much longer & produce better light

Back to my car, within a week after buying it, I ripped the headlight open, put in a pair of bi-xenon Bosch projector (I used the ECE European version of the BMW E46, yield very good light), also wire up for the bi-xenon. I used the ballasts and D2S 4300K bulbs from the Lexus, since the ballast is very efficient & compact. What I have is light output that beat all Mercedes out there, even the SLR ( which use the DOT E46 Bosch). The Denso ballast from Lexus also won't require computer reset to recognize xenon, since they don't spike much in power during boot.

Whether you do this upgrade to your OEM halogen projector, or aftermarket projector headlight, if you do it right, the final result will be fantastic light output, and that go along w/ the nice looking of the projector style headlight, you'll be happy.

The only thing you can't have with the upgrade is the auto-leveling, which OEM xenon car have. But if you aim it right, it'll be okey. That feature is only required in Europe. In the US, lot of car came w/ OEM xenon don't have that (i.e Acura, Honda...)

I don't have much free time to do light upgrade now as I did to folks on the W210 forum (I've done close to 100 light upgrade for them, using similar method), but if you have time, and willing to work on it, you'll be amazed with the final end result. I have quite a few S class (both W220 & W221 and CL too) chasing my car at night to check out, since its light output is superior compared to their OEM xenon (thanks to the ECE Bosch projector), yet car look completely stock.

Notice that if you don't (or can't) do the upgrade yourself, and decide to farm the work out, research the quality of work of the retrofitter carefully. I've met quite a few people who spent lot of money only to get crappy work done for them, and if you want to do the upgrade onto your OEM projector headlight, be even more careful, these things cost lot of money.

Anyone in SoCal who want to check out the light output of my car, let me know, I'll be happy to meet and share w/ you the experience.

Here're some pix of my previous car (W210 E320) after I put a pair of Lexus projectors & xenon ballast/bulb into it. Also pix of another fellow after the upgrade

Old 07-13-2011, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
If you are looking for a shop to do it then search yelp for a local shop

try keywords like xenon or headlights since hid might be confused with the past tense of the word hide and bring up irrelevant results
Old 06-29-2015, 09:09 AM

2008 S550 4Matic
The bi-xenon upgrade to my 2006 S430

Hi,

After reading the informative posts in this thread, I decided to give a try to my 2006 S430. The xenon devices I purchased are the following:

BMW E46 projectors, 3", D2S bi-xenon ---- used, Bought through E-bay $55/pair
Denso 03110-0092 35W ballasts, D2S, with ignitors and power lines ---- New, Bought through E-bay $120/pair
Philips 4300K bulbs 85122 ---- New, Bought through E-bay $32/pair -- Shipped from China
ZKW-R 3" lenses ---- New, Bought through E-bay $10/pair

The E46 projectors fit my car perfectly without any modification.
The ballasts are little too big to fit the factory slot in the bottom of the lights, but I had no issue to mounted them to the triangle metal rack underneath the headlights.
Unfortunately, the ZKW-R 3" lenses are too big to my E46 projectors. So the $10 wasted.

The whole project took me 6-8 hours to complete, but it is well worthy. The lights came out beautifully without triggering any system warning.

thx.

Last edited by tom2jian; 07-08-2015 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:19 PM

W116 350SE, C124 300CE-24, R170 SLK320
Stupid question

My car is a 2002 SLK320 with headlights much worse than my 1975 W116 350SE with Euro-spec Bosch H4 headlights. All this talk about converting these newer US (DOT) spec to HID or Xenon begs the obvious question.

Why not switch to the ECE headlights found on a Euro SLK?
Old 01-02-2020, 01:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 E550 Desingo
03-06 bi-xenon auto leveling oem(used) already installed and functional

03-06 bi-xenon auto leveling oem(used) already installed and functional
I have a 2000 W220 S500 with 03-06 Bi-xenon auto leveling headlights and after just to plug/wire harness modifications they are fully functioning. I wanted the clear lens look so I purchased a used OEM pair off of eBay part numbers
Driver Side 2208202761
Passenger Side 2208202861

But compared to the original headlights 2000 xenon pre facelift with new bulbs in both the light output is dull in the post facelift used pair, is this because the projectors are burnt out, everyone’s mentioning new projectors but would replacing just the projector reflector bowls be sufficient , Do they sell the reflector bowl separate? or just the whole projectors setup. Some members have mentioned the different projector options that go in Audi, Lexus and Mercedes. But all I can find is aftermarket replicas can somebody send me a link to the actual OEM projectors or better projectors?
Old 01-08-2020, 11:16 PM

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Mercedes-Benz S430, S500, S600, and E320 CDI
It probably is because the projectors are burned out. The 2003 S430 and the 2003 S600 had very dim low-beams. I wondered why, so I took them apart. Sure enough, the silver mirroring was burned out after 13-14 years. The way you want to go is to just get some new complete projectors. The projector style used in W220's is the E46 bolt pattern. You can buy the Bosch E46's if you wish. There is one aftermarket that is actually very good, and what I use: Morimoto's E46-R bi-xenon projectors; they bolt right in.

If you do go with the Morimoto E46-R's, then also do what I did and swap your solenoid/low-beam-shield combination over to the new projectors. Reason is that the original wiring is 3-wire, and the Morimotos come with a standard 2-wire setup. It's an easy swap-over.

Here are the actual results.

https://www.benzworld.org/threads/he...xenon.2794042/

Yep, I'm a member of both forums. In this thread, I did a comparison of several projector types, along with different types of bulbs.

The Morimoto E46-R projectors can be found here.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/bi...rojectors.html
Old 02-24-2020, 11:08 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 E550 Desingo
thanks guys the Morimoto E46 projectors are awesome. its like my headlights are lasers!! and after putting on new lenses its a fantastic transformation. the one issue Im having is the bi xenon high beam actuator on the morimotos does not stay on/open it flutters/ opens then closes immediately while the halogen(replaced with led) high beams stay on because i did not swap over the 2 prong plug. but the new projectors are so bright I dont even need high beams but it would just be nice to have everything working properly.
Old 03-10-2020, 03:13 PM

03 S430, 14 GLK 350
Anyone done a full oem OEM conversion?

Hello, I'm just starting to dive into the whole headlight project of converting my 03 S430 from halogen to HID. Anyone do an OEM upgrade? I have a 05 parts car that has the factory HID's and I'm thinking about swapping lights harness and all. Any known issues with doing this or things I need to know?
Old 03-12-2020, 09:01 PM

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts
001 s600, 94 sl600
IF the OEM lights from the LATER 'parts car physically fit--fantastic. However, the 'burned out light' monitoring coding will probably tell you to check it because the LED units use less current. The light monitoring function can likely be removed by software reprogramming---something I would LIKE to be able to do, but cannot.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:09 PM

03 S430, 14 GLK 350
Originally Posted by Kebowers47
IF the OEM lights from the LATER 'parts car physically fit--fantastic. However, the 'burned out light' monitoring coding will probably tell you to check it because the LED units use less current. The light monitoring function can likely be removed by software reprogramming---something I would LIKE to be able to do, but cannot.
Yeah, the 05 is also a S430. I was hoping to swap lights, harness, control module and all, but as I went down the rabbit hole I've discovered the wiring to be a nightmare once it enters the cabin.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:45 AM

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Mercedes-Benz S430, S500, S600, and E320 CDI
If you really want to do a good halogen-to-HID conversion, then the way I did it seems to work well. I used the following recipe.

1.) One pair of DEPO headlight assemblies, single-xenon. This is so you get all the wiring as well.
2.) One pair of Hella Gen 3 ballasts (hidprojectors.com has them at a reasonable price).
3.) One pair of Morimoto EVO-X 2.0 bi-xenon projectors.
4.) One pair of good (Osram, Philips, or Jahn) D2S HID bulbs. I use Osram 66240 Classic's.
4.) Some wire, soldering gear (or wire nuts), and heat-shrink tubing.

Open up the new DEPO's like you'd open up any other headlight (heat 'em in the oven). Replace the single-xenons you find in there with your EVO-X 2.0 bi-xenons. Wire in the high-beam solenoid in parallel to the high-beam bulb wiring. This will use just under 8 watts more on the high-beam circuit, which is not a problem at all on our cars. It's very important to wire it *in parallel*; don't wire it up in series! Install your D2S bulb into the EVO-X 2.0 projector and, before you close up the headlamp assembly, mount it on the car and give it a test.

The results on our cars has been excellent. The DEPO headlights look just like the AL Bosch ones, and they even have the auto-leveling motor inside. They are as well made as the Bosch ones are, too, and you avoid the problem that the originals have of the wiring insulation flaking off and exposing the bare copper (that's dangerous).