S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Telescopic steering wheel stopped moving

Old 01-09-2008, 07:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 Sienna SE, 01 S500, 05 LS430 UL
Telescopic steering wheel stopped moving

I tried searching for 30 minutes with: telescopic+steering+wheel+stopped+working (also taking out some words here and there) in the 220 forums and nothing.

In other forums, it came up with nothing relating to the telescopic steering wheel.

It stopped working last week.
I know some people like to turn this off but I like to get mine to work again
Has anyone had this happened to them and a fix to it?
I'm going to check the manual for the fuse.
Thanks in advance
Old 01-09-2008, 08:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 S500 Sport
Originally Posted by 2H S5
I tried searching for 30 minutes with: telescopic+steering+wheel+stopped+working (also taking out some words here and there) in the 220 forums and nothing.

In other forums, it came up with nothing relating to the telescopic steering wheel.

Thanks in advance
What the hell is that?
Old 01-10-2008, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL

Thanks in advance
See post 14 at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...ml#post2216730, and observe the caution!! If it will go down but not up, don't try the reset!!

If it won't move at all, and you don't even hear a motor, it could be a fuse; check your fuse diagram.

If not the fuse, then it is either the motor or a sheared nylon link between the motor and the column.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Skylaw
See post 14 at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...ml#post2216730, and observe the caution!! If it will go down but not up, don't try the reset!!

If it won't move at all, and you don't even hear a motor, it could be a fuse; check your fuse diagram.

If not the fuse, then it is either the motor or a sheared nylon link between the motor and the column.
Thank you Skylaw. It doesn't move at all. I'll check the fuse and report back
Old 01-10-2008, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Gondon
What the hell is that?
Basically, steering wheel has stopped out and down (or to your desired position moving) after inserting and removing the key.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000

Thanks in advance
I don't know the answer, but want to know what it is...
Old 01-16-2008, 01:50 PM

Update!!!

OK, stupid me, there's a switch on the power adjustment for the steering wheel.

I accidentall turned it off
To turn it back on, turn the switch towards you.

It's on page 50 in the manual-"Easy entry/exit"

I fiddled around for the fuse under the hood looking for a blown fuse.
To my surprise, there's no diagram indicating what is what
Old 01-16-2008, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thank you for the update, and pardon me for not suggesting the switch.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:31 PM
kor
Almost a Member!

MB S320CDI 2001, VW Golf Variant 2001, BMW E36 328I cabrio 1998
Some time ago I was also wondering why my steering wheel did not move automatically for easy entry.
Looked everywhere (I thought).
Then I was vacuuming the carpet at the driver side and I saw the handle I was forgotten completely.
It turned out that one of my kids had played around with it
So 2H5S, you are not the only one that made this mistake. I know I had a big laugh afterwards. It is in the manual that I always suggest to others for reading.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:39 AM

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Need Your Help Skylaw!

Hello Skylaw.
Well I always enjoy reading your posts because you seem to really understand your cars! You always seem to have the right answer to anyones problem and that is why I am turning to you now. I just picked up a 2003 S55 which is a upgrade from my 2000 S500. The only problem is the steering wheel will not go down. It goes up and side to side but not down which as you can imagine is very annoying and uncomfortable. I am affraid to bring it all the way up in the fear of it getting stuck that way. Do you have any ideas, yor wisdom is greatly appreciated.
Johan
Old 04-02-2008, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

DRTYLNDY,

Thank you for your kind words.

The best suggestion I can give you is the one in the link at post #3 above. If the wheel goes all the way up, but won't come back down, the car is at least drivable and you can get it to the dealership. If it stopped full down, one may not even be able to get into the car.

Because the wheel will go up, we know the motor has at least some function. The limits of its travel are determined by a Hall's Effect Generator - a simple counting device. The device simply counts revolutions of an armature as it passes a magnet; and some device (in modern usage, a memory chip) is used to record the proper number of turns for a given event. If 100 revolutions (a number I use only for illustration) are required top to bottom, the memory chip would record "zero" turns as the upper position limit, and 100 turns clockwise from that is the lower limit.

What we try to do with the reset procedure is run the wheel fully up; when it reaches full travel, the armature stops - and holding the switch "up" for a few seconds triggers the memory chip to recognize that full up (the zero position) is "here". Then you run it full down; it counts the revolutions and when you hold the switch "down" for a few seconds, it sets the memory to remember 100 rotations top to bottom. It can recognize other reference points programmed into memory, based on the number of turns from the "zero" (top) point.

When you memorize your preferred steering column position with your door controls, the chip then remembers how many turns from "zero" it takes to arrive at that position. When you shut down the car, it will travel the number of turns required to reach its top limit; and when you get in and start, it will turn the number of revolutions to lower the wheel back to position. Multiple points can be stored (the different memory positions you set with your door controls).

Basically it is simple; your seats, windows, and sun roof positions are controlled by similar devices.

It is possible there is another problem. It is far more likely, however, that the Hall's generator has dumped its memory (just as seat position occasionally does). All we're doing with the reset procedure in the link is resetting the upper and lower limits of travel for the memory chip tied to the Hall's generator.

If the wheel won't move at all, then a fuse is blown, the motor is defective, or else a linkage between the motor and the steering column - most often made of nylon - is broken. Again, these are far less common than a memory dump.

In short, I'd give the reset a try. If you're really uncertain about it, drive the car to the dealership, and try the procedure before you contact the service manager. Chances are, you'll drive away happy and need to spend nothing. Worst case, you leave the car for repair.

Good luck.

Last edited by Skylaw; 04-02-2008 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:34 PM

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Thanks Skylaw.
I did it. I tilted it up and then it went down after.
Thanks again.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 Mercedes Benz S430

DRTYLNDY,

Thank you for your kind words.

The best suggestion I can give you is the one in the link at post #3 above. If the wheel goes all the way up, but won't come back down, the car is at least drivable and you can get it to the dealership. If it stopped full down, one may not even be able to get into the car.

Because the wheel will go up, we know the motor has at least some function. The limits of its travel are determined by a Hall's Effect Generator - a simple counting device. The device simply counts revolutions of an armature as it passes a magnet; and some device (in modern usage, a memory chip) is used to record the proper number of turns for a given event. If 100 revolutions (a number I use only for illustration) are required top to bottom, the memory chip would record "zero" turns as the upper position limit, and 100 turns clockwise from that is the lower limit.

What we try to do with the reset procedure is run the wheel fully up; when it reaches full travel, the armature stops - and holding the switch "up" for a few seconds triggers the memory chip to recognize that full up (the zero position) is "here". Then you run it full down; it counts the revolutions and when you hold the switch "down" for a few seconds, it sets the memory to remember 100 rotations top to bottom. It can recognize other reference points programmed into memory, based on the number of turns from the "zero" (top) point.

When you memorize your preferred steering column position with your door controls, the chip then remembers how many turns from "zero" it takes to arrive at that position. When you shut down the car, it will travel the number of turns required to reach its top limit; and when you get in and start, it will turn the number of revolutions to lower the wheel back to position. Multiple points can be stored (the different memory positions you set with your door controls).

Basically it is simple; your seats, windows, and sun roof positions are controlled by similar devices.

It is possible there is another problem. It is far more likely, however, that the Hall's generator has dumped its memory (just as seat position occasionally does). All we're doing with the reset procedure in the link is resetting the upper and lower limits of travel for the memory chip tied to the Hall's generator.

If the wheel won't move at all, then a fuse is blown, the motor is defective, or else a linkage between the motor and the steering column - most often made of nylon - is broken. Again, these are far less common than a memory dump.

In short, I'd give the reset a try. If you're really uncertain about it, drive the car to the dealership, and try the procedure before you contact the service manager. Chances are, you'll drive away happy and need to spend nothing. Worst case, you leave the car for repair.

Good luck.
I have 2002 S430
I went to replace the multifunction switch and when I got the car back from a repair shop the up-and-down movement would work however the in-and-out telescope steering column feature has stopped working, I hear the motor however it is not moving in-and-out. Someone please offer suggestions?

Last edited by Fermin Grajales; 06-06-2019 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Mistake