Go Back   MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > S-Class (W220)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Sponsored by : My Mercedes Parts
Click Here

Welcome to MBWorld.org!
Welcome to MBWorld,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2008, 10:01 PM   #1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: V12TT
"Pre-Safe INACTIVE" message on screen

Just bought a 2004 S500 LWB 4Matic:

1 Malfunction - Pre-Safe Inactive

Car has 43,000 miles, everything else works fine. Not sure when this message came up but the car is at the dealer right now and will be delivered to my house sometime this week.

What does the message indicate? Does the ECU need a reset?
To remove this ad, register today or login if you already are registered!

S600 V12TT - ECU/TCU remap, S65 AMG brake calipers, SL63 paddle shifters, S65 cluster, S65 exhaust tips, Brabus ABC ELM, CAT-LESS downpipes, 3" Full mandrel bent exhaust, custom rear apron, custom deep black suede headliner
CL55 ///AMG - 180mm pulley, 3" full header back exhaust, paddle shifters, designo interior, EUROCHARGED BEAST!
S55 ///AMG - BLACK/BLACK, resonator delete, designo interior
benz_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:49 PM   #2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: 04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by benz_addict View Post

Car has 43,000 miles, everything else works fine. Not sure when this message came up but the car is at the dealer right now and will be delivered to my house sometime this week.

That usually happens when you take the steering wheel off with the ignition turned on.. it will go away after you drive about 30 to 45 minutes... "normally"
my06clk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:07 PM   #3

Drives: ML500 AMG pkg
Pre safe inactive will be displayed after a low voltage or battery disconnect. If there are no faults with the vehicle all that needs to be done is re-synchronize the passenger seat, steering column, windows, sunroof and initialize the steering angle sensor.
brakel8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:09 PM   #4
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: '13 C63 P31
Quote:
Originally Posted by benz_addict View Post

If Pre-Safe senses a possible accident (very hard braking or braking while swerving usually) it cinches up the seatbelts, moves the seat to the optimal crash position and closes the sunroof -- all in milliseconds. I've managed to trigger the system a couple of times and it works very well. It's quite a thrill to have your seatbelts confirm that your passing maneuver was world-class. They make a kind of Robocop sound as they cinch up and then relax again as soon as they realize all's clear.

One of the sensors or control modules in the system has failed or needs calibration. It could be brake electonics, stability control or a Pre-Safe module. You want it working. It's one of those systems that makes an S-Class an S-Class.
whoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:44 AM   #5
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: V12TT
ok cool thanks for the replies guys

picking up my S500 tomorrow morning my previous car was a 06 w203 c230... BIG difference
S600 V12TT - ECU/TCU remap, S65 AMG brake calipers, SL63 paddle shifters, S65 cluster, S65 exhaust tips, Brabus ABC ELM, CAT-LESS downpipes, 3" Full mandrel bent exhaust, custom rear apron, custom deep black suede headliner
CL55 ///AMG - 180mm pulley, 3" full header back exhaust, paddle shifters, designo interior, EUROCHARGED BEAST!
S55 ///AMG - BLACK/BLACK, resonator delete, designo interior
benz_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:44 AM

Tags
benz, code, edes, inactive, malfunction, merc, mercedes, pre, presafe, presafety, presaffe, reset, s430, s500, safe, w220