S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Change your cabin dust filters!

Old 11-05-2008, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
Arrow Change your cabin dust filters!

If you have not had your W220 serviced with "B" service recently (which includes the cabin dust filter change) I highly recommend checking and changing your cabin filters.

They may be causing musty smell or poor flow of air in the climate control system.

The part that includes 2 cabin dust filters is A210 830 10 18 and should cost you around $45.00 at the dealership. I've also seen non-oem filters on eBay for about half the price.

It is very simple to change the filters and is definitely a DIY task.

Remove the 4 philips screws (top and bottom) in the glove box and pull the glove box assembly out. Unclip the connector for the light and undo the cable for the release. Pull out the whole unit. You'll see a white latch on a black plastic door. Release the latch and open the door. Pull out the filters and replace in the same manor.

Here is what my filters looked like:

Old 11-05-2008, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
I haven't changed mine in like 6 years. Should be one giant...thing of dust and leaves in there.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W220 M113K
yea thats what mine looked like, i bought my from autzone, bosch $35
Old 11-05-2008, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'15 CLS63 sAMG, '91 GMC Syclone, '89 Saleen Mustang Turbo Intercooled
@ only $45.00 and DIY I will be doing it for sure, thanks for the great info as usual Oxygen.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:37 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
2018 S63, lowered
Having my "Service B" done shortly....I'll make sure they check it out....thanks for the info
Old 11-05-2008, 09:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 Mercedes S 430(GONE), 2001 E320(GONE), 2007 S550(GONE), 2009 BMW X6(GONE), 2014 S550
Do you have any pics how to change filter?
Old 11-05-2008, 09:55 PM

ML320 former CLK230 kompresor (euro specs) and BMWe39
"The part that includes 2 cabin dust filters is A210 830 10 18 and should cost you around $45.00 at the dealership. I've also seen non-oem filters on eBay for about half the price."

Guys i did this on my ML320 i got OEM Cabin filters. The filter was great it really cleaned the air but i noticed that the air con didn't emit that new car smell or freshness that permeates the car when you open the air conditioning.

Most of the OEM filters in ebay are actually real but unless you are buying from a trusted source i suggest you get from the dealer to retain that new car smell.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
bought from the dealer they look different from my original ones they have a 210 part number and they don't fit as good.....anyway already replaced mine last week as well as the charcoal filters.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Those filters are less than 20 bucks at the local parts store and have nothing to do with that "new car" smell.
No need to bother with the dealer OR ebay when they are readily available from FRAM. I got mine at Advanced auto parts and I think they were like 15 bucks but definitely a lot less than 40.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:04 AM

'15 CLS63 sAMG, '91 GMC Syclone, '89 Saleen Mustang Turbo Intercooled
Originally Posted by my06clk
Those filters are less than 20 bucks at the local parts store and have nothing to do with that "new car" smell.
No need to bother with the dealer OR ebay when they are readily available from FRAM. I got mine at Advanced auto parts and I think they were like 15 bucks but definitely a lot less than 40.

Unless your still under warranty, I would not put it past stealerships to void your AC warranty because you did not put MB filters in, stealerships are getting really nuts these days.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
E90 N54 & W251
Originally Posted by Oxygen
If you have not had your W220 serviced with "B" service recently (which includes the cabin dust filter change) I highly recommend checking and changing your cabin filters.

They may be causing musty smell or poor flow of air in the climate control system.

The part that includes 2 cabin dust filters is A210 830 10 18 and should cost you around $45.00 at the dealership. I've also seen non-oem filters on eBay for about half the price.

It is very simple to change the filters and is definitely a DIY task.

Remove the 4 philips screws (top and bottom) in the glove box and pull the glove box assembly out. Unclip the connector for the light and undo the cable for the release. Pull out the whole unit. You'll see a white latch on a black plastic door. Release the latch and open the door. Pull out the filters and replace in the same manor.

Here is what my filters looked like:

So true. I did mine last summer, both the dust filters and active charcoal filters. They were disgusting to say the least. Moldy, smelly and dirty. The Charcoal filters were the worst. Just touching it would get your hands really dirty. The best comparison is like getting laser printer toner on your hands. Very fine black dust.

The charcoal filters are located in the passenger footwell.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:39 PM
Almost a Member!

W220
Did mine last month. The musty gym sock smell went away after a couple of minutes. I think I paid about $90.00-$100.00 for the charcoal form dealer and $45.00 for cabin filters from parts store
Old 11-07-2008, 02:19 AM

2002 S430
My question is how many Charcoal filters are there and can you get them from anyone other then the dealer? Also how often should you change them? Are you just replacing charcoal or is it a self contained unit? Is it a messy process? How can you tell if they need replacing?

Besides the two filters behind the glove box and the charcoal filters is there any other things that should be changed on your own? I know there is two air filters for the engine under the hood.

Thanks
Old 11-07-2008, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by Destination Unk
My question is how many Charcoal filters are there and can you get them from anyone other then the dealer? Also how often should you change them? Are you just replacing charcoal or is it a self contained unit? Is it a messy process? How can you tell if they need replacing?
The charcoal filters are part number A210 830 11 18 and should run you about $100.00 at the dealer. The box contains 2 filters. I don't know if they are available anywhere else.

It's a self contained unit. According to this diagram, you will get 2 filters and they both need to be replaced:

Part 280 is the dust filters and part 290 is the charcoal filters:

Old 11-07-2008, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Besides the two filters behind the glove box and the charcoal filters is there any other things that should be changed on your own? I know there is two air filters for the engine under the hood.
Here's a list:

-Engine Air Filters
-Cabin Dust Filters
-Cabin Charcoal Filters
-Fuel Filter
-ABC Fluid Filter (if equipped)

I'm sure theres others...
Old 11-07-2008, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Here you go guys, these are the charcoal activated filters, one box, part number: A210 830 11 18 gets you these two filters:

Old 11-07-2008, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
my old charcoal filters were yellow when I took them out
Old 11-08-2008, 08:39 AM

2002 S430
Are the charcoal filters easy to replace?
Old 11-08-2008, 09:05 AM

Are the charcoal filters easy to replace?
You can get the Charcoal Filters from the Dealer or from this place
http://www.autohausaz.com

#1dad indicated he got them from the dealer for $90 - $100, my local dealer quoted me $220.00. Autohaus is $90.00 some odd dollars. They come in sets of two.

It is a relatively moderate pain in the ***. The filters are located under the passengers side dash towards the console. You need to move the the passenger seat all the way back, and then contort yourself to get under the dash, bring a flashlight or drop light with you. There is a two part plastic paneling system under the dash, you need to remove the panel towards the front/firewall of the car, you'll see how it interlocks with the piece towards the glovebox. Be gentle and patient as this is german plastic crap. Then look up towards the console side and you will see a white latching mechanism. This is where the charcoal filters are housed. Now you will have to bend slightly the plastic panel (the one towards the Glovebox) bend it down slightly at the the location by the filter box this will get you enough clearance to to open the box and remove the filters, they drop out from the bottom - you will have to pull them out. Note the orientation of the filters as you remove, install the new ones, and reinstall plastic panel towards the front/firewall, take your time interlocking the panels and refastening

All in all, I am making it sound worse than it is. Take your time and be gentle and patient.

Also see this thread

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w220/201109-my-car-stinks-i-mean-smells-real-bad.html

Post 14 has diagram

Last edited by rccmerc; 11-08-2008 at 09:28 AM.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:09 PM

wholly mess! i just followed rccmerc's guide and man it is a ROYAL PAIN IN THE BUTT to get to these filter. i was literally hanging upside down.

keep in mind that the plastic you have to un-interlock is bendable and flexible... just dont flext too much or you might break a part..after that.. its just unlocking the white latch.. pulling the plastic lock off and poof. there comes your dirty filter!..

i didnt change mine yet.. as the dealer did it about 2 years ago.. we hardly drive the car. just went down to check and see if they were dirt or not. a little black. but i think i'll order a set from autohaus and replace em next weekend.

thanks for the diy!

my neighbor was looking at me like a crazy man wondering what the heck i was doing.

Originally Posted by rccmerc
You can get the Charcoal Filters from the Dealer or from this place
http://www.autohausaz.com

#1dad indicated he got them from the dealer for $90 - $100, my local dealer quoted me $220.00. Autohaus is $90.00 some odd dollars. They come in sets of two.

It is a relatively moderate pain in the ***. The filters are located under the passengers side dash towards the console. You need to move the the passenger seat all the way back, and then contort yourself to get under the dash, bring a flashlight or drop light with you. There is a two part plastic paneling system under the dash, you need to remove the panel towards the front/firewall of the car, you'll see how it interlocks with the piece towards the glovebox. Be gentle and patient as this is german plastic crap. Then look up towards the console side and you will see a white latching mechanism. This is where the charcoal filters are housed. Now you will have to bend slightly the plastic panel (the one towards the Glovebox) bend it down slightly at the the location by the filter box this will get you enough clearance to to open the box and remove the filters, they drop out from the bottom - you will have to pull them out. Note the orientation of the filters as you remove, install the new ones, and reinstall plastic panel towards the front/firewall, take your time interlocking the panels and refastening

All in all, I am making it sound worse than it is. Take your time and be gentle and patient.

Also see this thread

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=201109

Post 14 has diagram
Old 11-22-2008, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by chibial
wholly mess! i just followed rccmerc's guide and man it is a ROYAL PAIN IN THE BUTT to get to these filter. i was literally hanging upside down.

keep in mind that the plastic you have to un-interlock is bendable and flexible... just dont flext too much or you might break a part..after that.. its just unlocking the white latch.. pulling the plastic lock off and poof. there comes your dirty filter!..

i didnt change mine yet.. as the dealer did it about 2 years ago.. we hardly drive the car. just went down to check and see if they were dirt or not. a little black. but i think i'll order a set from autohaus and replace em next weekend.

thanks for the diy!

my neighbor was looking at me like a crazy man wondering what the heck i was doing.
Hell of a way to spend a Saturday! Ain't German engineering grand
Old 11-22-2008, 07:48 PM

lol. we have a w203 c-class at home too.. that car seems a little easier to replace parts..

i dont understand why mbz made it so complicated to change the charcoal filters on the car..

i did swap out the cabin dust filters today.. it wasnt hard, but it removing the glove box parts i felt like if i put too much pressure i would break all the plastic. its one thing for a manuf to cut corners...but this is a s-class man (flagship car).. at least use some higher grade plastic or something.

my c-class seems like it has higher grade plastic than the s-class.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:07 PM

just swapped out the charcoal filters on the car....

but had one question.. i didnt even think about looking at the placement/direction of the Original charcoal filters in the car when pulling them out.. so i forgot which way the airflow was supposed to go.. there is an arrow on the new charcoal filter pointing the location of the airflow, but i dont know which way to place em.

if you were sitting in the passengers seats.. would the airflow be going left or right?

i installed them so that the airflow arrow was pointing right..

did i choose correctly?
Old 11-27-2008, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by chibial
just swapped out the charcoal filters on the car....

but had one question.. i didnt even think about looking at the placement/direction of the Original charcoal filters in the car when pulling them out.. so i forgot which way the airflow was supposed to go.. there is an arrow on the new charcoal filter pointing the location of the airflow, but i dont know which way to place em.

if you were sitting in the passengers seats.. would the airflow be going left or right?

i installed them so that the airflow arrow was pointing right..

did i choose correctly?
See here -
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
HVAC.pdf (215.3 KB, 620 views)
Old 11-27-2008, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by rccmerc
See here -
ahhhh oy vey~~!!!

i did it the opposite way.. time to reverse em... what a way to spend a thanksgiving. hehe

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Change your cabin dust filters!