ABC Pump / High Pressure Hydraulic Line Replacement DIY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 02:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
Arrow ABC Pump / High Pressure Hydraulic Line Replacement DIY

Tools Required - 2 Jack Stands, 50pc Socket Set, Flat Head and Philips Screw Driver

__________________________________________________ _

Well that's a joke.. don't try this at home. You will need a place with a lift, full tool box and Mercedes SDS.

Here is my thread about what happened before I knew what happened: https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...-blows-up.html

__________________________________________________ _

The ABC tandem pump has a high-pressure side that uses a radial piston pump for the ABC side, which runs at 3000 psi. There is also a low-pressure side that side that is used for the power steering.

The ABC side has two lines coming out of the pump, one line goes to the pulsation damper which then distributes the fluid to the rest of the system and the other line ends in a "dead end" and I think it's designed to provide pressure relief. The lines go from metal to rubber to metal again, looks like my line let go at the connection from rubber to metal, causing fluid to leak out and everything else goes down hill from there.

The ripped line:

The space in the nose of the car is very tight, there are a lot of lines, hoses, wires, etc...

Since all of the fluid was drained from the system, the ABC pump ran dry and ingested air, causing damage to the pump it self. The pump needs to be replaced along with the broken line. Because the M275 engine is big, and the engine bay room is tight, most of the components on the front driver's side needed to be removed, starting with the airbox, ABC fluid tanks, A/C line, Radiator Fan, Coolant Lines, Transmission fluid lines, etc..

Once removed, access to the pump is still very limited:

In order to access the banjo bolt that connects the ABC high pressure lines to the pump, the driver's side engine mount needs to be disconnected from the subframe and the motor has to be raised on the driver's side with a jack:

Once the engine is raised, the high pressure lines are disconnected and the pump can be unbolted from the engine. This is the empty space for the pump once removed:

Here is the new pump after installation:

Once the pump is in, the new lines are installed and the system needs to be filled and bled. This requires Pentosin CHF 11S mineral oil, which is not cheap at about $40/liter...

The following users liked this post:
silkev12 (02-12-2024)
Old 02-23-2009, 02:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Here are some pictures of the old lines and the new ones. Notice the differences in design and the use of heat shrink to further deter the hoses from corrosion...

Old lines and pump:

Here are the new lines and the new pump:

The following users liked this post:
silkev12 (02-12-2024)
Old 02-23-2009, 02:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
BIG THANKS to my great friends at TT Motorsports for the knowledge and experience with these complex vehicles. There were no issues throughout this whole task.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
Awesome write up glad to hear everything worked out and your car is fixed and well!
Old 02-23-2009, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 S-600
Great write up Chris!! Glad to hear you're back on the road again.. How much was the total cost in damages?

PS - Whenever you're ready Picnic Garden is calling our names..
Old 02-23-2009, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
GREAT JOB!!! and AWESOME Write-up...
Old 02-23-2009, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
this should be a sticky... or someone should create a thread with links to different DIY jobs like in the W203 section.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
E90 N54 & W251
Great writeup!! This should be a sticky.

Oxygen, what specifically was required with SDS after the pump replacement? My guess is just to check codes and do the rodeo after everything has been replaced. Is that correct?

Again, great writeup. Thanks!
Old 03-02-2009, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by ~CL500~
Oxygen, what specifically was required with SDS after the pump replacement? My guess is just to check codes and do the rodeo after everything has been replaced. Is that correct?
SDS was required to monitor the pressure of the hydraulic fluid during the filling and venting to make sure the pump was primed correctly and that the pump was producing 200 bar of pressure.

After the system was filled it Rodeo has to be performed to bleed out all of the air.

Once everything was working correctly, you use SDS to remove any ABC fault codes in the ABC controller.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
E90 N54 & W251
Originally Posted by Oxygen
SDS was required to monitor the pressure of the hydraulic fluid during the filling and venting to make sure the pump was primed correctly and that the pump was producing 200 bar of pressure.

After the system was filled it Rodeo has to be performed to bleed out all of the air.

Once everything was working correctly, you use SDS to remove any ABC fault codes in the ABC controller.

Thanks Man!
Old 03-11-2010, 10:34 PM

2005 CL65 (current), 2001 CL600 (chopped)
tag for pictures
Old 03-01-2012, 01:45 PM

2003 Mercedes-Benz S500, 2002 Acura MDX Touring
Originally Posted by Oxygen
Here are some pictures of the old lines and the new ones. Notice the differences in design and the use of heat shrink to further deter the hoses from corrosion...

Old lines and pump:

Here are the new lines and the new pump:

Hi Oxygen,

I cannot even tell you what Im going thru with the 2003 S500 I have currently. THere was greaning noise in the engine area. Firstly it was misdiagnosed by some mechanics for a bad harmonic balancer, noise still existed. Next it was the ABC pump, which was sent by the after market car warranty, bad pump, next it was a brand new pump, and the alternator (fixed by . Noise went away for a bit now I hear a lighter groaning noise so I changed the MAF sensor Bosch, still no change and the care does not drive like a Merc....not like before. Stealership came up with a list of issues...Bad engine mounts, bad lower ball joints, bad fuel filter, Need to change spark plugs, tranny service and the list goes on....... My mechanic (who eats and sleeps Mercedes) told me that I was going to waste a lot of money doing either of those and told me that the he only needs to change the “ High Pressure Hose for the hydraulic system” for suspension basically a high pressure hose with dampner” (not the pulsation damper as it was changed under recall in 2009).

Where on earth do I look for this part ?????? Someone PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAASSSSSSSSEE help me !!!! My car has spent more time in the garage than on the road.

Also I cannot see the pics on this anymore…. Can you please email me @ steadystud73@yahoo.com ???? I would reeealy appreciate it if you could get in touch with me.. I reeeallly need your assistance if you canhelp me get this car back on the road.... by assisting me on the part.. DO I really need to change the Engine mounts???? I definitely need the High pressure hydraulic hose with the dampner... What is this part and where can I find it ??

Old 03-02-2012, 12:07 PM

The high pressure hose usually splits into two. If you post your VIN I can look up both of them.

To diagnose noise near engine, you might want to take the belt off to see if it's an issue with one of the belt-driven items. If you stop hearing the noise, then you'll know it's either water pump, alternator, ac compressor, steering (ABC) pump, etc. If you keep hearing noise then it wasn't one of those.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:20 PM

The belt was taken off and it has Something to do with the abc pump area. The pump is rePlaced and he says the light humming or buzzing noise is due to the high pressure hose or the pulsation damper. Posted a pic of this. Gimme an email and I will send you the pic of it maybe you can help me here.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:36 PM

High pressure hose pulsation damper.

email me @ steadystud73@yahoo.com and I will send you the VIN #..

Last edited by steadystud; 03-02-2012 at 01:36 PM. Reason: change
Old 03-03-2012, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 GL550, 2004 Audi S4 v8
Where did the pictures go?
Old 03-07-2012, 07:59 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
04 CL55, 05 E500S4, 15 BMW i3 REx
Bump this up. My high pressure line off the ABC pump is leaking. Is this a DIY fix? The recall was done on my car in 2007, so it looks like this will be one I have to take care of myself.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:34 PM

This is not DIY unless you have Star Diagnostics and know how to use it. Every time you take a hose off, you introduce a lot of air into the system, and you need to have the proper tools and methods to get it out. Also the hoses are a pain in the *** to get to, especially if you have one of the bigger motors.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
'16 S550 Coupe, '11 Lexus LS460, '02 CL500 (SOLD)
Originally Posted by ch33sehead
This is not DIY unless you have Star Diagnostics and know how to use it. Every time you take a hose off, you introduce a lot of air into the system, and you need to have the proper tools and methods to get it out. Also the hoses are a pain in the *** to get to, especially if you have one of the bigger motors.
Actually, lines are easily replaceable. According to MB Star Service Manual Library, it's a simple process of removing and reinstalling the new line. Once completed, fill and bleed the system. No SDS required. Check your MB Star Manual for specific instructions. If you don't have one, they can be ordered from MB. Call 800 for-merc or email me.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:45 AM

That's like saying it's as simple as removing and reinstalling the new engine. Those lines are a serious pain to get to, especially on the AMGs and also 600s. These are not Chevy 350s, there is little clearance anywhere to reach your hand around the subframe to get to the disconnect points. Filling the system is easy. As for bleeding the system, rodeo is the best and most complete way, especially when you are introducing that much air into the system.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Agreed. Guys, sorry I can't seem to find the pictures!
Old 03-09-2012, 09:43 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
04 CL55, 05 E500S4, 15 BMW i3 REx
How much fluid is lost when the line is removed?
Old 03-26-2012, 03:08 PM

2000 S500
I also have a ABC leak

2001 S600 - I drove out of my driveway and saw a puff of what looked like smoke come from the front left wheel well. A few seconds later the car warned me in red "Active Body Control.. Drive Carefully"
I stopped the car and saw a dripping leak all over the front left, spash from the tire in the wheel well and under the hood there was a little puddle coming from seemed like under the headlamp and creeping to the middle of the rail
I am about to take some things off/apart to see what happened but If anyone knows what this could be or has had the problem please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

PS the DIY pics are no longer good if someone can repost them or has some of their own..
Old 04-06-2012, 06:41 PM

Hi Oxygen,
After 3 weeks of my car being in the garage, I am more than frustrated as there is just no answer to what noise my car is making. I just got it from the garage and the mechanic says he finally redid the replacement of the ABC pump the "right way" by fully flushing the system and replacing the ABC Fluid and Filters and the Power steering Fluid and Filter which should have been done the first time.

However, there is still the groaning noise from the engine area and I HATE IT. And oh by the way, the car does adjust its own ride height when stationery. Mechanic says that “there is something going on with that car and maybe an issue with the control module” But it is not a safety hazard. WTF, I’m driving a 100K car and know for sure that I could possibly get a better feeling with a Hyundai anyday !!!

I even changed the mounts as that what MB dealership said would be the issue. Apparently they don’t know S***T about their own cars !!! The car has ZERO faults and just that after spending so much money the ride is still CRAPPY !!! I am going nuts as I don’t know whom to turn to anymore.

Please help. CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME WITH ELIMINATING THE GROANING NOISE?? WHY IS THE RIDE HEIGHT ADJUSTING ON ITS OWN?? IS THE NEW ABC PUMP SCREWED UP STILL ?? DO I NEED TO REPLACE THE PULSATION DAMPNER ??

ANYONE ??? HELLO ???
Old 04-06-2012, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by steadystud
The belt was taken off and it has Something to do with the abc pump area. The pump is rePlaced and he says the light humming or buzzing noise is due to the high pressure hose or the pulsation damper. Posted a pic of this. Gimme an email and I will send you the pic of it maybe you can help me here.
Sorry but that doesn't answer the question. When you take the belt, do you still hear the groaning or does the groaning stop?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: ABC Pump / High Pressure Hydraulic Line Replacement DIY