S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Dead battery , cant get in trunk or inside car, how to jump start? HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 08:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S600
Booster pack?? Are you using a trickle charger and somehow connecting it across the fuse terminals??

Originally Posted by Busta Riles
I let my car sit for 10 days in my garage without driving it...the battery was apparently weak. When i opened the door, the dash didn't even light up.

I think "no big deal. I'll just use the key to pop the trunk" NOPE...the lock cylinder is screwed too.

There is a power feed to the trunk that is easier than the footwell method. Fuse #42 in the under-hood fuse box runs right to the trunk. Remove the 20amp fuse and use a booster pack to send some power into the car. DO NOT TRY TO START THE ENGINE using this method! Just use it to pop the trunk and boost from the battery afterwards. Took me under a minute to get my car going using this method.

Last edited by S600Keith; 01-21-2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 S430
How do you tell the + from the - at the fuse? Is it marked somewhere?
Old 01-22-2013, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
There is no + and - side to a fuse. They are all + unless one is working on an older model British car with a Lucas electrical system. There is either power present, or there is not.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 404 Likes on 348 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
A "booster pack" is one term for a gadget that contains a small 12-volt battery and a small charger for that battery. There are usually short "jumper cable" type cables. Designed to be a light, portable booster to start cars whose battery is weak, but not dead or disconnected.

Some booster packs also include a (very) small air compressor and a light. Handy gadgets to have around the house for starting lawn mowers, cars, etc.

The biggest problem is that many of the boosters have a "safety switch" that does not provide power to the cables until the booster sees 12 vdc on the cables, so they would not work in this application unless you find a 12vdc source under the hood to trigger the switch...
Old 01-24-2013, 10:48 AM

Mercedes 320 2001
Can i jump battery in my 2001 c320?
Old 01-24-2013, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes, but follow the cautions in your owner's manual. It is possible to damage circuits if you do it wrong.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:54 AM

Mercedes 320 2001
Originally Posted by Skylaw
Yes, but follow the cautions in your owner's manual. It is possible to damage circuits if you do it wrong.
Ok but i dont have a manual
Old 01-24-2013, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Owners Manuals: Download an electronic Owners Manual from MBUSA Owners Online. The direct link for the manuals is https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/servi...owners_manuals but it may change from time to time. If the direct link does not work for you, go to the main MBUSA site at (http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/index). There, register free as an owner. MB doesn't always make the access to Owners Online simple or intuitive; on the main page, look for "Owners" at the top of the page in the link. A drop-down menu will allow you to register and later access Owners Online. Once you have logged in as an owner you should see a section that lets you download the Owner's Manual and the Maintenance Manual for your model year (right now they are under "Owner Support" but MBUSA changes where they hide them from time to time).

Maintenance Manuals: Same as for Owners Manuals above.

COMAND Manuals: http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsite/comand_manual.htm and http://www.mercupgrades.com/Mercedes...rticle-60.html

Voice Recognition (Control) System Manual: http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsite/vcm.htm - Or, just pull the stalk (or in the '00, push the Mic button, lower right on the steering wheel) and say "Help." Voice control, if installed, will respond with a menu of options. In addition, newer COMANDs will also display voice command options onscreen.

Mercedes Electronic Parts Catalog (EPC) - http://epc.startekinfo.com/epc/welcome.jsp - it is free, but you must sign up and provide a credit card # (to show you are an adult). This lists virtually every part and provides the exploded diagrams of every assembly for nearly every model.

You can join the Mercedes Star TekInfo system for 1 day and download the wiring diagrams and other information that you might find necessary. See http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/home.jsp - It does go back to 1994.

***You may also be able to get printed tech manuals at http://www.classictechlit.mbusa.com/MB/ and at http://www.mercedesmanuals.com/Merce...0_Up_s/560.htm
Old 01-26-2013, 12:14 PM

2002 S430
Sorry Warren, I did not raise my question in an intelligent way.

Of course, you are right, there is no + and - side at the fuse, it breaks the current of + side of the battery.

What I meant to ask if we can tell the battery side (source) from the working unit (trunk lock) before we attach a booster at the fuse. There seem to be no reason to connect it to the dead battery.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:40 PM

mercedes 2.3 clk coupe
dead battery

Originally Posted by Busta Riles
I let my loo car sit for 10 days in my garage without driving it...the battery was apparently weak. When i opened the door, the dash didn't even light up.

I think "no big deal. I'll just use the key to pop the trunk" NOPE...the lock cylinder is screwed too.

There is a power feed to the trunk that is easier than the footwell method. Fuse #42 in the under-hood fuse box runs right to the trunk. Remove the 20amp fuse and use a booster pack to send some power into the car. DO NOT TRY TO START THE ENGINE using this method! Just use it to pop the trunk and boost from the battery afterwards. Took me under a minute to get my car going using this method.
hi, I'm new to this site but my car is dead and been trying for days to open the boot to charge the battery, with no luck. I was wondering if you could tell me how you get jump lead cables or battery booster into the tiny little slot where fuse#42 is. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-19-2014, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 404 Likes on 348 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
First - are you aware of the emergency metal key included in your key fob (remote/key)? If you have this, it should open the boot. Insert the key in the slot on the bottom of the boot release area, push in and turn.
Turning one way opens the boot, turning the other way disables the electrical release system.

It is important that you realize that the goal of powering the fuse slot is only to provide minimal power to the electrical boot release system, not to start the engine. The fuse connectors are standard 1/4" electrical connectors. You need a piece of metal that is the same size to insert in the fuse connector. You can buy a 1/4" male spade connector at an auto parts store, or at an electrical/electronics store. Connect the positive (+) power source wire to the fuse connector, then connect the negative (-) power source wire to any bare metal that is connected to the chassis as an earth. This should furnish power to the circuit. Note that one of the fuse terminals is connected to the battery circuit, and the other fuse terminal is connected to the operational circuit. I don't know which is which - just try both.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Unless you're very experienced I would try the power point under the passenger footwell before putting power to the fuse

It's way too easy to Damage the electrical system if shirting the fuse block
Old 02-07-2015, 01:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
s500
Dub_ya

Originally Posted by Dub_Ya
Fought with the trunk for well over a day with the exact same problem. And finally pulled out the damn manual. Turns out 2 things were wrong. 1) The fuse (rear passenger seat) was blown quick fix. 2) Turns out the entire time I was putting the key in the cylinder I was pushing and turning at the same time. Ended up cutting my fingers. But surprise surprise turning left and then pushing trunk opened right up, and was able to replace the battery
We have been trying to open the trunk for a week and this is what did it.
(Our Manual was in the trunk) At first it would not turn but after the third try it turn , the key has to be just right. Thank you so much for the help.
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (11-30-2019)
Old 11-30-2019, 12:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Audi/mercedes/toyota/honda/lexus
What u do is you jack up the front. Pull off the splash guards underneath and locate the starter and connect a positive jumper cable to the lead where your positive cable connects to the starter solenoid or u can probably get it on the alternator lead and ground to motor then via la press the key fob and your in.
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (11-30-2019)
Old 12-25-2019, 01:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2006 s500, 2012 c300
after market battery will work fine
Old 12-25-2019, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

^ As long as it is the same type battery (usually AGM in a W220) the charging system was built for, and matched the other electronic specs; see https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/arti...ry-basics.html