Go Back   MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > S-Class (W220)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Sponsored by : My Mercedes Parts
Click Here


Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-24-2010, 07:03 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 6
Drives: 2001 S430
Side Mirror Removal

Hi guys,

The bulb on my right side mirror went out and I searched everywhere to find out how to replace the bulb because the bulb went out and its bugging me how the signal goes 2 times faster. I could not find anything besides this image below:

Click the image to open in full size.

Can someone please guide me a DIY to get to the bulb. I think it is as easy to just pop the plastic piece off but im scared to break it.

Thank you for your time,
Ramtin
To remove this ad, register today or login if you already are registered!

ramtin325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:18 PM   #2
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,578
Drives: 04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Well that pictures is certainly not the way to do it please don;t try that way...

Adjust our mirror all the way in so the outer edge of the mirrorexposes the outside edge of the mirror cover.

There is a metal latch you have to unlatch that is located in the center of the cover behind the mirror. use an awl or skinny screwdriver to push the mteal latch as you pull carefully on the outer housing.

Once the housing comes loose, readjust the mirror to the center and pull the housing straight out.Be careful of the harness for the light srtip.

THe bad news is that there is not a replaceable bulb there, you have to replace the light strip.

to reinstall, leave the mirror in the center postion, slide the outer housing over the mrror, and you will feel it clip back into place.
my06clk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:35 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 6
Drives: 2001 S430
Thank you for the great write up

Is there any step-by-step pictures you can post please? I didnt see any metal latch that can be free to open.
ramtin325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:17 PM   #4
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,578
Drives: 04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramtin325i View Post
Thank you for the great write up

Is there any step-by-step pictures you can post please? I didnt see any metal latch that can be free to open.
Sorry I don't but the latch is just somethin you push down on and it's not easy to see but you can feel it if you put a tool back between the mirror and the housing exactly in the center. You will feel the spring tension of the latch.
my06clk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:58 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 6
Drives: 2001 S430
Quote:
Originally Posted by my06clk View Post
Sorry I don't but the latch is just somethin you push down on and it's not easy to see but you can feel it if you put a tool back between the mirror and the housing exactly in the center. You will feel the spring tension of the latch.
I tried looking for something metal and I saw something but it was a piece of metal which didnt hold on to anything for me to able to take out the mirror.
ramtin325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:58 PM   #6
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,515
Drives: Mercedes
Quote:
Originally Posted by my06clk View Post
Well that pictures is certainly not the way to do it please don;t try that way...
.
Then the sticky should be changed, since that pic is from the sticky thread
http://www.mbworld.org/forums/s-clas...ter-picts.html
tusabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:25 AM   #7
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,578
Drives: 04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tusabes View Post
Then the sticky should be changed, since that pic is from the sticky thread
http://www.mbworld.org/forums/s-clas...ter-picts.html
I'm not sure about the sticky, but as you can see in the pic, pulling the lirror away from the support stretches the spring and ruins the power folding support. if so equiped.

I may have some time tomorrow i will post some pictures of the steps I mentioned above.

I think the O/P is trying to remove the mirror, which is a mistake. The outer housing HAS to be removed first in order to change the light's OR service the mirror.
my06clk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:05 AM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 6
Drives: 2001 S430
Quote:
Originally Posted by my06clk View Post
I'm not sure about the sticky, but as you can see in the pic, pulling the lirror away from the support stretches the spring and ruins the power folding support. if so equiped.

I may have some time tomorrow i will post some pictures of the steps I mentioned above.

I think the O/P is trying to remove the mirror, which is a mistake. The outer housing HAS to be removed first in order to change the light's OR service the mirror.

Indeed, im only trying to replace the signal bulb on the right mirror. Id appriciate it if you can post up some pictures.

Thanks
ramtin325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:30 PM   #9
Super Member
 
Arnee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 985
Drives: Cayenne GTS, Cayenne Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramtin325i View Post
Indeed, im only trying to replace the signal bulb on the right mirror. Id appriciate it if you can post up some pictures.

Thanks

The turn signal LED strip is connected to the mirror housing (painted part) cover only. Yo do NOT need to remove the entire mirror assembly to replace the LED strip.

Once you latch the metal c-latch to the top part, it will allow yo to simply slide the mirror housing cover right off, disconnect the connector, and replace the light strip.
__________________
--
14 CT200h
09 Cayman
08 Cayenne GTS
--
Arnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:08 PM   #10
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 6
Drives: 2001 S430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnee View Post
The turn signal LED strip is connected to the mirror housing (painted part) cover only. Yo do NOT need to remove the entire mirror assembly to replace the LED strip.

Once you latch the metal c-latch to the top part, it will allow yo to simply slide the mirror housing cover right off, disconnect the connector, and replace the light strip.
That would be so much easier to fix if its that way. What is this c-latch you are talking about?
ramtin325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:59 PM   #11
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,578
Drives: 04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
SO here are pics of a quick DIY of how to reove the mirror housng and still have use of the mirror afterwards..

First pic. This is the mirror assy. of course.

Second pic. This is the mirror adjusted all the way in.

Third pic. This is a shot of the location of the clip you have to push in.

Fourth pic. Use a long thin tool to press the clip as you pull the housing just enough to get it last the clip

Fifth pic. Readjust the mirror towards the center so that you can remove th housing. It should wiggle right past the mirror.

Sixth pic. This is the housing removed.

I couldn't add the other pics because the limit is 6.

but just reinstall without moving the mirror and the housing will slide right back into place
Just slide the housing back over the mirror till it clips back into place.

This takes all of 5 minutes but you must be carful and patient as it may be a little harder to pull the housing if it's the first time coming off.
Attached Thumbnails
Side Mirror Removal-dscf0200.jpg   Side Mirror Removal-dscf0201.jpg   Side Mirror Removal-dscf0202.jpg   Side Mirror Removal-dscf0203.jpg   Side Mirror Removal-dscf0204.jpg  

Side Mirror Removal-dscf0206.jpg  
my06clk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:27 PM   #12
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 6
Drives: 2001 S430
Thank you very much for the great write up! Im not a big Mercedes guy, this is my fathers car. Based on your experience do you know which site has the cheapest/ best products for MB? (in this case the LED mirror signal)

Ramtin
ramtin325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:36 PM   #13
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,578
Drives: 04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramtin325i View Post
Thank you very much for the great write up! Im not a big Mercedes guy, this is my fathers car. Based on your experience do you know which site has the cheapest/ best products for MB? (in this case the LED mirror signal)

Ramtin
the LED is only 50 bucks at the dealer. Yours may be less.
parts places are autohausaz.com, parts.com, and there are some other but those are the ones I know off the top of my head.
my06clk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:00 AM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 47
Drives: 2003 S430 2008 GL450
Hi - hate to be a noob... but where can I get the lights for this without going to a dealer? I checked a few places such as autohausaz and parts.com with no luck.
Closest dealer for me is a long haul to get to. Much rather point and click if possible.
Thanks!
chpsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:18 AM   #15
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Skylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,029
Drives: 2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Welcome to the forum!

See http://www.mbworld.org/forums/s-clas...ter-picts.html (also an add-on to the W220 S-Class Owner's Start Here sticky at the top of the W220 forum).
__________________
Warren

2005 S500 4-Matic with
Gateway 500 iPod integration

1978 450SL restoration project

Formerly: 2000 S500 with
Ice>Link Plus iPod integration,
MikBox, and Upgraded voice control

Last edited by Skylaw; 05-10-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Skylaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:21 AM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 47
Drives: 2003 S430 2008 GL450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylaw View Post

Thanks. I've read that one....I thought all the way through, but I've been reading so much lately I could have missed something.
I'd like to get an OEM part if possible and not an upgraded one. Is there an OEM part number or parts diagram for these cars where I can see the part #?

Thanks!
chpsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:23 AM   #17
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Skylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,029
Drives: 2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
I'll bet your dealer can get you the part number.
__________________
Warren

2005 S500 4-Matic with
Gateway 500 iPod integration

1978 450SL restoration project

Formerly: 2000 S500 with
Ice>Link Plus iPod integration,
MikBox, and Upgraded voice control
Skylaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:02 PM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 47
Drives: 2003 S430 2008 GL450
ahh the powers of determination and Google found it for me.

OEM Parts
Left Side Part # 220 820 05 21
Right Side Part # 220 820 06 21
chpsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:32 AM   #19
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 11
Drives: none
Hi ramtin,

The c clip depends possibly on your model. I have a 99 s500 and the c clip is in the position that the picture you posted shows, not my06clk's. It may be that he has a later model???

If you have the early model:

You just don't have to pull the mirror out like the original picture is showing.
With the c clip on the bottom you just have to tilt the mirror up instead and once the clip is up, wiggle the case out a fraction and then move the mirror inwards.

That c clip you just have to lift up.

there is a video on youtube if you search w220 mirror you should find it.

Once the case is off, the lens strip can be undone from the case.

You can get cheap led replacements off ebay but I am yet to try them otherwise chpsk8's parts numbers are right.

Josh
monkey magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:57 AM   #20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 47
Drives: 2003 S430 2008 GL450
Well my replacement didn't go well. I struggled with the clip and pulled to hard and broke the glass on the mirror. Next step for me is to source the glass.Anyone have a part number for that, or replacement ideas?
So much for the easy fix.
(I will say that now that I've done it, it's pretty simple, just don't gorilla the cover off as much as I did.)
chpsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:48 PM   #21
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 11
Drives: none
Hi chpsk8, that's unlucky.

It depends on which side you've broken and whether you have auto dimming glass or not and want to get it replaced with such. You can get replacements off ebay check if they are heated but I beleive all are otherwise it doesn't work. None of them are auto dimming but if you are chasing auto dimming mirrors then the glass gets expensive.

You can fit non dimming ones back in if yours are currenty dimming which is what I'm going to be doing. Couldn't justify the extra AU$500.

Sorry don't have part numbers as we're RHD so the mirrors are different. Check with the dealers or find parts on something like www.mbzwholesaleparts.com

Josh
monkey magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:44 PM   #22
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bulgaria
Posts: 34
Drives: w211 '04 Avangarde
Quote:
Originally Posted by my06clk View Post
SO here are pics of a quick DIY of how to reove the mirror housng and still have use of the mirror afterwards..

First pic. This is the mirror assy. of course.

Second pic. This is the mirror adjusted all the way in.

Third pic. This is a shot of the location of the clip you have to push in.

Fourth pic. Use a long thin tool to press the clip as you pull the housing just enough to get it last the clip

Fifth pic. Readjust the mirror towards the center so that you can remove th housing. It should wiggle right past the mirror.

Sixth pic. This is the housing removed.

I couldn't add the other pics because the limit is 6.

but just reinstall without moving the mirror and the housing will slide right back into place
Just slide the housing back over the mirror till it clips back into place.

This takes all of 5 minutes but you must be carful and patient as it may be a little harder to pull the housing if it's the first time coming off.

Hi mate,

Can you mark on the pic where is the clip?
Ive tried on my w211 but dont see any clip
masterross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:31 PM   #23
Newbie
 
SCLASSFEVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 11
Drives: W220 X5 911
Cool Thank you so much!!

Read your post a while back.. saved me 100$/hour labour. hahaha

Thanxxx
__________________
I don't roll.
I Godspeed.
Passport 9500ci, a wide Broadway mirror & dual K40 laser diffusers are a human's BEST FRIENDS..

for everything else:
..there's your Guardian Angel.. lol

SCLASSFEVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:31 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
bulb, cap, change, cover, e320, led, light, mercedes, mirror, nirror, remove, replace, s430, s500, side, signal, turn



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:12 PM.


Copyright 2001-2012 InternetBrands, Inc. / MBWorld.org. All Rights Reserved.
Everyone's Personal Details