S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Oil change for S class/ issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 02:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 s500
Oil change for S class/ issues

Hi, need help/comments on oil change interval for a '01 s500S.
The FSS recommended interval is too liberal i think....
would like to do every 5K with the 0-40 M1 but dealer doen't want to... i'd like to do it myself...

>Is it true that the S class does not have a drain plug? that you suction the oil out? in that case, has anyone used the product from Griot's garage?
>Is the filter element fairly easy to change? Do I need a new gasket with filter element replacement?

Any comments/suggestions on OIL changing issues....

(btw, MTrend review of '01 S500S didn't think highly of the oil change frequency of the MB FSS).

thanks everyone.

J. Rho
'01 S500S
'02 SC430
'97 XJR - for sale
Old 04-07-2003, 02:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Re: Oil change for S class/ issues

Originally posted by jjrho
>Is it true that the S class does not have a drain plug? that you suction the oil out? in that case, has anyone used the product from Griot's garage?
>Is the filter element fairly easy to change? Do I need a new gasket with filter element replacement?

You can change the oil as often as you want to, it won't hurt the car. There is a drain plug on the oil pan, a 13 mm bolt. You have to remove the panel under the engine to gain access to it first. The filter element is very easy to change, and the 4 O-rings you need to replace are included in the box with the new filter.
Old 04-07-2003, 03:01 AM

996 Turbo
I WOULD NOT BOTHER with an oil change every 5K miles. Even the recommended service intervals are playing it safe.

Current engine tech and modern Synthetic oils provide a lot less wear and tear on an engine than you would suspect.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:49 AM

Fiscal Neo Con Express
FInality,

just out of curiousity. why do feel that 5K is too soon?
Old 04-07-2003, 12:26 PM

996 Turbo
Originally posted by S55inPA
FInality,

just out of curiousity. why do feel that 5K is too soon?
I've done a lot of research about oil analysis and wear on tear on engines. After the initial break in period (some engines do have problems the first few 10K miles) there is no real reason for the frequency of oil changes that most places ask for. I currently own a maxima in the US (soon to be changed) and there are countless threads on the maxima.org forums about oil analysis and what you can actually change your oil at vs what the dealership recommends. Even on non-synthetic oils people have changed their oil at 8K miles sent it for analysis and it was still 'clean'. Some engines did have a problem since they where showing traces of seal wear in the engine itself but was mainly due to age and the oil was still useable for a few thousand more miles.

Synthetic oils like those in the S-class actually provide a lot less wear and tear than organic oils thats why all car companies that use synthetics only require oil changes between such long intervals. Even that is liberal but since the MBUSA is paying for it I see no problem in letting them do their work for free.

If you are worried about your car do a search for a company that does oil analysis, send them a sample and they will give you a readout of what trace elements are in the oil and thus showing you exactly what parts are wearing out ie preventative maintanence for your car.

Basically if you need to change your oil every 3K miles on a normal car because the oil is extremely filthy it is because there is something very wrong going inside your engine and its something you should take a look at because it will only get worse.

BTW congrats on your purchase. My parents have a loaded 2002 S320 and I love it.
Old 04-09-2003, 01:58 AM

2001 s500
griot garage suction cannister

has anyone use the suction tool from griots to drain the oil thru the dip stick shaft on the w220 S class?
how many qts of 0-40 M1 do i Need?

any help on the oil filter element changing? how messy is it? any pearls?

j.rho
01 s500S

jjrho@adelphia.net
Old 04-09-2003, 02:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Re: griot garage suction cannister

Originally posted by jjrho
has anyone use the suction tool from griots to drain the oil thru the dip stick shaft on the w220 S class?
how many qts of 0-40 M1 do i Need?

any help on the oil filter element changing? how messy is it? any pearls?

j.rho
01 s500S

jjrho@adelphia.net
I use the topsider from Griots. It works great, however, you will need to stop the suction at the end and empty a couple quarts. The S Class uses 8.5 quarts (S55 8 quarts) and the topsider only dols 6.5 quarts. All in all it is very easy though.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:37 AM

Fiscal Neo Con Express
hi guys,

one thing that bothers me about waiting for 10000 miles to roll over on the odometer is that acids build up in the oil over time from the combustion process. the filter cannot remove the acids. and i guess the acids do damage to the inside of the engine. I found out about this when an engineer from GM wrote specifically about this in a letter to Car and Driver. He was responding to a test that Car and Driver had done concerning long oil change intervals. seems to make sense to me that pollutants would build up over extended periods.
when it comes to MB using 10000 miles per oil change i believe the reasons to be these....1-MB uses more oil in there engines..ie 9 quarts versus the usual 6. 2-i think it makes sense for MB to extend the oil change intervals as for cost.
as for testing your oil and sending it out to a lab. not a bad idea at all. the only thing that one has know is...how to read the report....ie. which metals are good and which are bad??