S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

2005 MERCEDES S430 Airmatic Problem HELP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 S 430 Sedan
2005 MERCEDES S430 Airmatic Problem HELP

It all started when I came home last weekend from Disneyland. When I got home and turned it off, a buzzing sound was heard from underneath the headlight assembly (front passenger side). We were unloading a lot of stuff so we kept going back and forth until I heard hissing sounds (like an airbrake sound of a truck). Thats when I disconnected the battery as a precaution. I re-connected it the next day and the sounds were gone. But as I went for a fill up a few blocks away, "Airmatic See Workshop" appeared on the VDO. From posters from another forum, they claim that I had a sticky relay causing the pump to burn out. I ordered the relay a few days ago but more than likely, I'll probably need a new pump as well. I would appreciate it if any of you guys encountered a similar problem and what you guys did to remedy it,other parts (like hoses or valves that should be bought separately) I need to acquire,etc. to make the fix as cheap as possible. In fact, is this a repair that can be done by myself? I can get to the pump by taking out the oil pan plastic cover , installing the new one and re-connecting the hoses as is. As with the relay, its probably just a pull and push job. Please advise me if I missed out on anything. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
so did your car drop on all 4 wheels?

if its not dropped and is at normal height, compressor might still be good.

You are right that the buzzing sound after the car is off is most likely the bad relay causing the pump to run continuously.

Get the new Hella relay and put it in. See if just doing that fixes it.

If the car is dropped and wont go up, then get the Hella relay and a pump from Arnott, just be careful of one thing.....its possible the hoses came apart from the pump or near the struts, check carefully for leaks otherwise the new pump will run continuoysly trying to refill a leaking ystem and will burn out as well
Old 09-15-2014, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 S430
2005 S430 Airmatic Issue

I have an S430 with the new error displayed of "Airmatic, Stop, Car too Low". I couldn't hear the pump starting but I jacked up the car and then successfully was able to raise the car using the airmatic button. The pump did start and fill properly. When I lowered the car to the ground, I heard several releases of air as the car settled down to the ground. This seems to tell me that the air cannot be held when weight is applied but can when it is on the jack.
So the pump does start and stop but the system is not holding air. I notice the lowered state on the front two tires so it must be a common failure, maybe a seal or something coming out of the pump? I did swap two identical relays with no change. What could the problem be and what advice do you have? Replace the pump with a rebuilt unit with new seals?
Old 09-16-2014, 02:30 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
13's550/2000's430/13'gl63/'13's550/10's63
one if not both of your shocks will need to be replaced. look at rubber boot and see if there are cracks in them.