S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Constant loud squeaking from front end ..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 S55
Constant loud squeaking from front end ..

Do 01' S500's have zerk fittings?

Front end squeaks loudly on any bumps, when I turn the wheel, even when I get in or out of the car. I mean, I'm big, but not THAT big!

Anyone have this issue before? I know older cars had zerk fittings and you could essentially lube them up ..
Old 08-18-2010, 09:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
Yeah I had that problem on my S55 - the ball joints and bushings needed to be replaced. That's what that noise is, they get old and the rubber wears down. After I replaced them, never heard the problem again!
Old 08-19-2010, 02:20 PM

2001 W220 S500
Been there done that. My Indy replaced the whole front suspension since I got the parts online in a bulk from deutscheparts on ebay. Some of them didnt even fit, got my refund, but for some reason those ball joints were the cheapest ones in the kit, since refund was for only a few bucks and the kit was around 700. At thee end I had to buy OEM since the car was in the shop already and the whole deal was around a couple thousand dollars. But I remember that the squeaky noise was embarrassing like hell.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:16 PM

2005 S55
Originally Posted by feelon
Been there done that. My Indy replaced the whole front suspension since I got the parts online in a bulk from deutscheparts on ebay. Some of them didnt even fit, got my refund, but for some reason those ball joints were the cheapest ones in the kit, since refund was for only a few bucks and the kit was around 700. At thee end I had to buy OEM since the car was in the shop already and the whole deal was around a couple thousand dollars. But I remember that the squeaky noise was embarrassing like hell.
and of course i just had the front left repaired/replaced for $3k a few months ago .. life is grand .. or a couple grand!
Old 08-19-2010, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 174 Likes on 144 Posts
SL55, S500
Originally Posted by feelon
Good DuestchParts is junk. you saved $.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:59 PM

S 500
Ok, hey. I know this is an old post. I'm new to the forum. We have a 2001 S 500 and its making that same noise. And we know its not the ball joints and bushings because we had the car inspected in like April or something when we bought it to find out how bad off we were with our purchase (what had to be fixed overall, because it had 70,000 miles on it when we bought it) and our mechanic said the ball joints were good and pretty much everything else. Thankfully we have an honest mechanic... wish you guys did. Anyway he can't find the source of that sound either. He put some chemical from Mercedes called Lubrinox into the power steering fluid and it went away for like a week. Now its really bad again.

Has anyone solved this problem yet????
Old 08-26-2014, 03:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
It is the control arms and ball joints , unfortunately they lose lubrication and squeak , it doesn't matter you had it inspected a few months ago , this is a very common issue because there are no librucation fittings on the suspension parts

Some people have just used a grease gun and grease needle to fill up the bushings , others just drive with a squeaky suspension , you can literally drive it for years like that and its fine

Otherwise the real fix is new parts and mb parts only. That's $$$$$
Old 09-04-2014, 07:47 AM

S500
Just did mine 3 weeks ago. Sqeaky noise every now and then especially when go over speed pump. In my case, if I pressed from the top of the fender I can hear that squeaky. You also can jack the car up, rock the tire side to sie (3 and 9 O'clock) and see some play in the wheel. The job is very easy if you have an impact wrench. There are many threads on here for DIY. In my case I did not buy the OEM press tool, I am using the loan tool from Advance, thus I have to take the whole assembly out so that I have room to press in/out the old lower ball joint. I used the Lamfeder ($53 for the set) brand as suggested by many members here.