Go Back   MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > S-Class (W220)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Sponsored by : My Mercedes Parts
Click Here

Welcome to MBWorld.org!
Welcome to MBWorld,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 11:59 PM   #1

Drives: S500
Question Trunk and Door Locks Stopped Functioning

I recently had to remove my battery to recharge it on my 2003 S500 as my wife accidently left the driver side door open all night. Upon placing the charged battery back in the car the trunk lock would not release nor would the extending handle retract whether I use the trunk lid release switch in the car or my smartkey remote. In order to open the trunk, I have to use the mechanical key but the extending handle remains extended and still does not retract. Additionally, the door locks do not function, neither remotely nor by pressing the central lock/unlock switch in the car. The back seat headrests also are not operating. I tried disonnecting the battery overnight and then reconnecting it and still the problem persists. I checked the fuses and they appear OK. These items were functional prior to the battery being removed and all of a sudden they don't work. Can anyone assist me with this? I'd truly appreciate it.
To remove this ad, register today or login if you already are registered!

Bartlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:09 PM   #2

Drives: 2000 S430 140k (07/11)
Did you check the f62 20amp yellow fuse under the rear right passenger side fuse box?
xexpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:18 PM   #3

Drives: S500
Yes, I did and did check others just in case but all seemed OK. Everytime that I close the door I can hear the pump (PSE?) in the trunk but nothing happens. I'm still looking.
Thanks,
Bartlett
Bartlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:35 PM   #4

Drives: 2003 mercedes s430
Bartlett, exact same scenario happened to me this weekend

Hi Bartlett, did you ever find out what happened or the issue was for you doors not unlocking and hood latch staying open?

Thank you,
Steve
fc46395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:27 PM   #5

Drives: 2003 mercedes s430
I've located the pump. I here the pump running each time i try to lock unlock. but nothing happens. I find it odd that it stopped working after leaving the door and trunk open for a long time, like Bartlett experienced.
fc46395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:46 PM   #6

Drives: 2001 S500 Sport Package
if the fuse is fine and the pump is working (don't assume on this one) .. then you've got blocked or leaking hoses.

had the issue myself, fuse at first but kept going, eventually had to replace the pump.

be happy you got stuck in the "unlocked" position .. when you're stuck in locked the gas cap is also locked shut. the things i had to do to my car to open it make me shudder .. involved a screwdriver and old t-shirt (happened while driving back from vegas)

best of luck.
shaw01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:24 PM   #7

Drives: 1992 SL500 2000 S430, 2003 SL500, 2002 ML320, 2001 E320, 1995 S500 Coupe sold,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartlett View Post
I recently had to remove my battery to recharge it on my 2003 S500 as my wife accidently left the driver side door open all night. Upon placing the charged battery back in the car the trunk lock would not release nor would the extending handle retract whether I use the trunk lid release switch in the car or my smartkey remote. In order to open the trunk, I have to use the mechanical key but the extending handle remains extended and still does not retract. Additionally, the door locks do not function, neither remotely nor by pressing the central lock/unlock switch in the car. The back seat headrests also are not operating. I tried disonnecting the battery overnight and then reconnecting it and still the problem persists. I checked the fuses and they appear OK. These items were functional prior to the battery being removed and all of a sudden they don't work. Can anyone assist me with this? I'd truly appreciate it.
you will have to reprogram key and locks just call 1800formercedes they will walk you thru
la22bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:33 PM   #8

Drives: mercedes s430 mercedes benz
in need help

Did you ever get it fixed i have an s430 and i have the same problem
jordans430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:40 PM   #9

Drives: 1992 SL500 2000 S430, 2003 SL500, 2002 ML320, 2001 E320, 1995 S500 Coupe sold,
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordans430 View Post
Did you ever get it fixed i have an s430 and i have the same problem
Passenger side back seat bottom is a cover to fuse 10amp, turn your seat firming wheel down to 0 to stop blowing fuse
la22bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:34 AM   #10

Drives: 2003 S500 - Toyota Corolla (in the rain)
Send a message via AIM to ibeforreal Send a message via Yahoo to ibeforreal
When you disconnected the battery did you go through the entire reset process. This has to be done each time the battery is disconnected. The process is described in the encyclopedia.
Start the car, wheels all the way to the left, then to the right, windows, sunroof top, etc.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:04 PM   #11

Drives: 2002 S430
To check the fuse (f62 in this case) means to see if it is blown (usually it is not), and if the knives are corroded (usually the are). Get a piece of fine sandpaper and clean the fuse. It this does not help, turn to more serious trouble shooting.
Old lumbar support pouch is often leaking, and and if you keep the lumbar switch on it will disable the soft close, but not the central lock.
trombone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by la22bay View Post
Passenger side back seat bottom is a cover to fuse 10amp, turn your seat firming wheel down to 0 to stop blowing fuse
There is no 10amp fuse
Old 09-15-2014, 07:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by trombone View Post
To check the fuse (f62 in this case) means to see if it is blown (usually it is not), and if the knives are corroded (usually the are). Get a piece of fine sandpaper and clean the fuse. It this does not help, turn to more serious trouble shooting.
Old lumbar support pouch is often leaking, and and if you keep the lumbar switch on it will disable the soft close, but not the central lock.
What do you mean i need help because the locks dont work the back head rest dont work trunk doesnt work and ac doesnt work how can i fix it
Old 09-16-2014, 12:05 AM   #14

Drives: 2003 S500 - Toyota Corolla (in the rain)
Send a message via AIM to ibeforreal Send a message via Yahoo to ibeforreal
Actually it is a 40 amp fuse and is yellow in color. I believe it is the 5th one in from the right or left but it is the only yellow one inside the fuse housing directly under the rear passenger seat.

One other question, are you sure that the battery is fully charged. A weak battery will create all kinds of problems. Even though you may have given what it said was a full charge the battery could still be the culprit.

The car is loaded with electronics. I have left my trunk and/or doors open all night while working on various issues and the car started up the next morning with no problem. I believe that it is designed to shut down systems after they have been in the open position for a certain amount of time. However, if your battery isn't strong enough then you are going to have problems. It may start the car but won't have enough capacity to run everything else.

One more thing - whatever you do don't try and jump start it with another car. Otherwise, you will introduce and entirely new set of problems and probably fry a few electronics in the process.

Last edited by ibeforreal; 09-16-2014 at 12:11 AM.
ibeforreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:05 AM

Tags
2003, central, doesnt, door, doors, fuse, lock, locked, locks, malfunction, mercedes, s430, s500, shut, sl500, trunk