S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

my xmas present to myself .. merry xmas to you all!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-25-2010, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 S55
my xmas present to myself .. merry xmas to you all!

merry xmas to me!

i've noticed several postings about the watches some of you own, figured this would be appreciated here .. i sure as hell appreciate it on my wrist!!

breitling, avenger skyland, graphite face .. good times
Attached Thumbnails my xmas present to myself .. merry xmas to you all!-watch1.jpg   my xmas present to myself .. merry xmas to you all!-watch2.jpg   my xmas present to myself .. merry xmas to you all!-watch3.jpg  
Old 12-25-2010, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
my xmas present to myself

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT
Old 12-25-2010, 01:08 AM

2005 S55
Originally Posted by tusabes
congrats, and merry xmas!
Old 12-25-2010, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W220 M113K
My Xmas gift to my self

Attached Thumbnails my xmas present to myself .. merry xmas to you all!-166393_10150341573180444_758710443_16314403_3248619_n.jpg  
Old 12-26-2010, 01:28 AM

2005 S55
Originally Posted by 02S430
wow, very nice! congrats and happy holiday!!
Old 12-26-2010, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W220 M113K
Originally Posted by shaw01
wow, very nice! congrats and happy holiday!!

thank you. you too
Old 12-26-2010, 08:49 AM

2006 SLK55 AMG - 2000 S430 - 1992 300E - 1989 300E
merry xmas to me!

i've noticed several postings about the watches some of you own, figured this would be appreciated here .. i sure as hell appreciate it on my wrist!!

Nice, love that watch. Merry Christmas
Old 12-26-2010, 07:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Mercedes obviously!
merry xmas to me!

Nice choice! Have three Breitlings myself (Chrono Colt Quartz, Navitimer and Emergency) and wish I could pull off the Avenger Skyland, sadly my wrists are too small!
Old 12-26-2010, 09:25 PM

05 SL500, 02 BMW Z3 (Mrs. VF), 05 FJR1300, 91 ZX-11
I told my wife a gold submariner would be nice. I didn't think she'd do it.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:02 AM

2005 S55
Originally Posted by velvet fog
I told my wife a gold submariner would be nice. I didn't think she'd do it.

Phenomenal time piece!! Looks like a great time was had by all ..

and don't feel bad Fraser, I was going for a Super Avenger at first, but holy damn that thing is big! then again, with 3 others it's not like you're hurting!

merry christmas to everyone!
Old 12-27-2010, 12:50 AM

05 SL500, 02 BMW Z3 (Mrs. VF), 05 FJR1300, 91 ZX-11
Old 12-27-2010, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Shaw01, I like your taste in watches. Breitlings are my favorites.

The first is a Jupiter Pilot model - not made any more, it's electronic, and the most accurate watch I have ever owned. I like it especially because it has the dial of an air navigation computer (called a Weems plotter), such as those I carried when flying. It is my daily watch, and I have worn it for 15 years. It is due for a new battery, polishing, and bezel reconditioning soon; Breitling does a very nice job of it.

The second is the Crosswind, a chronometer, self-winding. A great mechanical watch. I have had it for about 10 years.

And Fraser, I love the Navitimers!
Attached Thumbnails my xmas present to myself .. merry xmas to you all!-dsc_6863.jpg   my xmas present to myself .. merry xmas to you all!-breitling-3.jpg  

Last edited by Skylaw; 12-28-2010 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Better pic of Crosswind
Old 12-27-2010, 11:22 PM

2005 S55
Originally Posted by Skylaw

The first is a Jupiter Pilot model - not made any more, it's electronic, and the most accurate watch I have ever owned. I like it especially because it has the dial of an air navigation computer (called a Weems plotter), such as those I carried when flying. It is my daily watch, and I have worn it for 15 years.

The second is the Crosswind, a chronometer, self-winding. A great mechanical watch. I have had it for about 10 years.

Wow, two beautiful time pieces! This is my first Breitling .. doesn't feel like my last, but it will be my daily for quite some time. Planning to get the leather strap as well, though not sure I'll ever put it on.

Those are just two solid Breitlings you have there ..
Old 12-28-2010, 02:02 PM

The first is a Jupiter Pilot model - not made any more, it's electronic, and the most accurate watch I have ever owned. I like it especially because it has the dial of an air navigation computer (called a Weems plotter), such as those I carried when flying. It is my daily watch, and I have worn it for 15 years. It is due for a new battery, polishing, and bezel reconditioning soon; Breitling does a very nice job of it.

Two great watches. I love Breitlings. The Weems plotter brings back great memories too. I still have it in my Sporty's flight bag, although I haven't flown in over 15 years. Great watches.

Paul
Old 12-28-2010, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by paulp
Two great watches. I love Breitlings. The Weems plotter brings back great memories too. I still have it in my Sporty's flight bag, although I haven't flown in over 15 years. Great watches.

Paul
And pardon my earlier rudeness in not welcoming you to the forum, Paul. WELCOME!

What did you fly?
Old 12-29-2010, 09:52 AM

And pardon my earlier rudeness in not welcoming you to the forum, Paul. WELCOME!

What did you fly?
Thanks for the warm welcome.
Private Pilot – Single engine. It’s funny just last week I looked up the FBO at the airport (CDW) in NJ that I flew out of, and they are out of business. I then looked up the tail # of the Cessna 152 I soloed in, and it is Deregistered and in the Czech Republic.
I flew because I just love flying, and of course the $100 hamburgers.
What did you fly?

Paul
Old 12-29-2010, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

^^Rats! Don't you just hate that? Makes one feel old.

I flew the usual 1960's era Air Force trainers - T-41 (Cessna 172), T-37 (Squeak), and the White Rocket (T-38). Then, on to the B-52 (the main plane for the bulk of my career; flew mainly D and G models, but also a little time in E and F models). Flew the O-2A as a Covey FAC in Viet Nam. Well, I was stationed in Viet Nam, but the mission was mainly in Laos, Cambodia, and North Viet Nam. At Da Nang I got some rides in OV-10s, but wasn't qualified in them. During one staff tour in the U.S. I flew T-29s (Convair 220s) to maintain currency. I hated the rudder/aileron interconnect on that plane! I also flew Piper Cherokee 140s and 180s when a member of the local aero clubs.

Some of the B-52D tail numbers I flew in combat are now static displays (literally, museum pieces) - the Arc Light Memorial on Guam (0100); the one at the Air Force Academy (083); the one at the Air Park at Maxwell AFB in front of the Judge Advocate General School (057) - and some others. All the G-models I flew are in the desert in Arizona with their wings chopped off, for START verification. Talk about making one feel old!

The photo below isn't me - but it is a B-52G approaching a KC-135 tanker on a beautiful day. The guy in the right seat, being a Major, is probably an instructor pilot - and it reminds me of what I did so often. I truly loved mid-air refueling and low-level flying in the Buff.

I share your love of flying - the AF let me fly their planes, and the amazing thing is, they paid me for it! The only problem was, they often scheduled takeoffs for O-dark thirty, and once in a while angry folks would shoot at me. Then, there was alert duty for a week at a time, once or twice per month.

Oh, well.

I was browsing and came across this YouTube excerpt of the 1963 movie "A Gathering of Eagles" - the first scene gives a pretty good idea of what it looked like during the low level portion of an attack mission. Then, they climb to refuel - the scenes of the approach to the tanker and the aircraft in contact are very real. The breakaway they do is also real (though I never had any fuel leak problems such as they had). The particular plane in the movie is a B-52G, and they were painted that way when I first started flying them. Camouflage and all-gray schemes came later. Fun to see...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwF1MBIeU5A -- and another, apparently taken on a B-52 training mission - http://www.oveoo.com/landing/b-52-ta...-cockpit-view/. The shots under the KC-135 are exactly what the pilot sees, including the flight director lights on the bottom of the tanker (showing the B-52 pilot how far in/out and up/down he is).

Where in Tampa? I'm in Tampa Palms (New Tampa).
Attached Thumbnails my xmas present to myself .. merry xmas to you all!-b-52_cockpit_030410-f-7194f-008.jpg  

Last edited by Skylaw; 12-29-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cayenne GTS, Cayenne Turbo
Rats! Don't you just hate that? Makes one feel old.

I flew the usual 1960's era Air Force trainers - T-41, T-37 (Squeak), and the White Rocket (T-38). Then, on to the B-52 (the main plane for the bulk of my career; flew mainly D and G models, but also a little time in E and F models). Flew the O-2A as a Covey FAC in Viet Nam. Well, I was stationed in Viet Nam, but the mission was mainly in Laos, Cambodia, and North Viet Nam. At Da Nang I got some rides in OV-10s, but wasn't qualified in them. During one staff tour in the U.S. I flew T-29s (Convair 220s) to maintain currency. I hated the rudder/aileron interconnect on that plane! I also flew Piper Cherokee 140s and 180s when a member of the local aero clubs.

Some of the B-52D tail numbers I flew in combat are now static displays (literally, museum pieces) - the Arc Light Memorial on Guam (0100); the one at the Air Force Academy (083); the one at the Air Park at Maxwell AFB in front of the Judge Advocate General School (057) - and some others. All the G-models I flew are in the desert in Arizona with their wings chopped off, for START verification. Talk about making one feel old!

The photo below isn't me - but it is a B-52G approaching a KC-135 tanker on a beautiful day. The guy in the right seat, being a Major, is probably an instructor pilot - and it reminds me of what I did so often. I truly loved mid-air refueling and low-level flying in the Buff.

I share your love of flying - the AF let me fly their planes, and the amazing thing is, they paid me for it! The only problem was, they often scheduled takeoffs for O-dark thirty, and once in a while angry folks would shoot at me. Then, there was alert duty for a week at a time, once or twice per month.

Oh, well.

That's good stuff, Skylaw... I always wanted to join the Air Force and/or fly privately.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:29 PM

^^Rats! Don't you just hate that? Makes one feel old.

I flew the usual 1960's era Air Force trainers - T-41 (Cessna 172), T-37 (Squeak), and the White Rocket (T-38). Then, on to the B-52 (the main plane for the bulk of my career; flew mainly D and G models, but also a little time in E and F models). Flew the O-2A as a Covey FAC in Viet Nam. Well, I was stationed in Viet Nam, but the mission was mainly in Laos, Cambodia, and North Viet Nam. At Da Nang I got some rides in OV-10s, but wasn't qualified in them. During one staff tour in the U.S. I flew T-29s (Convair 220s) to maintain currency. I hated the rudder/aileron interconnect on that plane! I also flew Piper Cherokee 140s and 180s when a member of the local aero clubs.

Oh, well.

OMG! If you could see the smile on my face as I read your reply. You lived my dream! (Except for the angry people)
We have a lot in common. I flew a Cessna 172 too, LOL, only you also flew the BUFF and a few other excellent aircraft. Outstanding career! Thank You for your service.
I love that picture. Now that’s a great office!
I have a friend who also lives in Tampa that flew F4’s in Vietnam, and then went to work for Cessna after the Air Force. He is now a commercial property manager.
My flight Instructor was retired AF. Wow, did he work your hard the whole time you were with him. You rarely flew straight and level. Great instructor. There was always a good emergency to practice.
This past October I was at a German Shepherd Dog show in Virginia and combined the trip with a visit to the Air & Space museum next to Dulles Airport. What a beautiful facility. They have flight simulators that the public can fly. I flew a two seat with my younger son as my WSO. He was not a big fan of inverted flight, but he could target and shoot even while complaining about my flying. We got all but 1 enemy aircraft. Lots of fun!
Have you been to Fantasy of Flight on Route 4, between Plant City & Orlando? I go there a few times a year. What a collection of aircraft he has.
I could go on and on! I just had to remind myself this is a Mercedes Board. Lots of great memories flying.
I actually live in Northern Pinellas County, Palm Harbor. I drive across 54 just north of you about 4 times a week for Schutzhund training in Wesley Chapel.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I apologize to shaw01 and the board for the hijack. My bad. We pilots like Breitlings! And the best ones drive W220s.

Air & Space in DC and at Dulles are great. One of my oldest friends (a classmate at USAFA) is a docent at the Dulles facility but he moved recently to Merritt Island. I told him about the really neat Warbirds Museum operated by the Valiant Air Command of the Experimental Aircraft ***'n at TICO (Titusville-Cocoa) airport near Titusville, asked if he knew about it - sneaky guy had already gotten himself onto the museum's Board! He still goes back up to Dulles to guide tours. The Warbirds museum is well worth the trip - and you pass right by it if you're headed into the Kennedy Space Center on Rte 405 or on US 1.

Speaking of the EAA, their Sun 'N Fun in Lakeland is a great air show, plus it has a museum. When I was working in Melbourne in the early '90's, my boss was the announcer, and later the Air Boss, at the annual TICO air show (I did the recorded music for it one year). After the TICO show, the aircraft would depart one after the other, join in formations, and fly in to Lakeland/Linder en masse to kick off Sun 'N Fun.

I have definitely been to Fantasy of Flight - what a collection! The photo below is a panorama of a beautifully restored P-51 once flown by Col. Lee Archer, a Tuskeegee Airman (the red tail was the Tuskeegee Airmen's identifying marking). Ina, the Macon Belle (also the plane's name), was his wife. Near the tail is a cartoon character, the Hep Cat - Col. Archer, of course. He was an Ace (note the five swastikas). Col. Archer was able to see this beautifully restored plane before he died. Because my wife knew him, FoF was kind enough to let us get close to the plane for the photos (too restricted a space to get it all in one shot) - it's in a restoration hangar where they don't usually let the public wander freely.

I also used to see the Short Sunderland flying boat on the lake behind the airdrome, but it has been moved inside now. We last went this past November. As to Mercedes relevance, we drove the 450SL, TDWD all the way; and the S500 is silver, like the P-51 (small pics below - click to enlarge).

My two long-haired miniature Dachshunds would absolutely fail the "B" test for Schutzhund training.

I added some links to my first post with the Buff photo - you might find them interesting.

Now, about those watches....

Attached Thumbnails my xmas present to myself .. merry xmas to you all!-ina-macon-belle-panorama-1.jpg   my xmas present to myself .. merry xmas to you all!-450sl.jpg   my xmas present to myself .. merry xmas to you all!-dsc_1942b.jpg  

Last edited by Skylaw; 12-29-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:28 PM

I apologize to shaw01 and the board for the hijack. My bad. We pilots like Breitlings! And the best ones drive W220s.

Air & Space in DC and at Dulles are great. One of my oldest friends (a classmate at USAFA) is a docent at the Dulles facility but he moved recently to Merritt Island. I told him about the really neat Warbirds Museum operated by the Valiant Air Command of the Experimental Aircraft ***'n at TICO (Titusville-Cocoa) airport near Titusville, asked if he knew about it - sneaky guy had already gotten himself onto the museum's Board! He still goes back up to Dulles to guide tours. The Warbirds museum is well worth the trip - and you pass right by it if you're headed into the Kennedy Space Center on Rte 405 or on US 1.

Speaking of the EAA, their Sun 'N Fun in Lakeland is a great air show, plus it has a museum. When I was working in Melbourne in the early '90's, my boss was the announcer, and later the Air Boss, at the annual TICO air show (I did the recorded music for it one year). After the TICO show, the aircraft would depart one after the other, join in formations, and fly in to Lakeland/Linder en masse to kick off Sun 'N Fun.

I have definitely been to Fantasy of Flight - what a collection! The photo below is a panorama of a beautifully restored P-51 once flown by Col. Lee Archer, a Tuskeegee Airman (the red tail was the Tuskeegee Airmen's identifying marking). Ina, the Macon Belle (also the plane's name), was his wife. Near the tail is a cartoon character, the Hep Cat - Col. Archer, of course. He was an Ace (note the five swastikas). Col. Archer was able to see this beautifully restored plane before he died. Because my wife knew him, FoF was kind enough to let us get close to the plane for the photos (too restricted a space to get it all in one shot) - it's in a restoration hangar where they don't usually let the public wander freely.

I also used to see the Short Sunderland flying boat on the lake behind the airdrome, but it has been moved inside now. We last went this past November. As to Mercedes relevance, we drove the 450SL, TDWD all the way; and the S500 is silver, like the P-51 (small pics below - click to enlarge).

My two long-haired miniature Dachshunds would absolutely fail the "B" test for Schutzhund training.

I added some links to my first post with the Buff photo - you might find them interesting.

Now, about those watches....

My apologies to all & Happy New Year!
Masterful segway back to topic.
Family in town delayed my reply. As most Floridians know when family is on vacation in Florida you must be too. After all, you live in Florida.
Skylaw, thanks for the great information. I will have to visit TICO in My Black SLK55 AMG, TDWD.
I love your 450SL absolutely beautiful.
The P51 and the Corsair are my favorite vintage fighters. There was a 2 seat P51 called “Crazy Horse” in Orlando a few years back that I really wanted to go fly, but never got around to it.
What a wonderful story, to hear that Kermit was able to restore Col. Archer’s aircraft before he died.
Love the Buff links! Thank You. Funny how I was reminiscing about flying and the name of the Pilot In “A Gathering of Eagles” is Caldwell. The airport where I learned to fly was Caldwell (CDW) in NJ.
My Silver, like the P51, S430 is on jack stands with the wheels off, in a restoration project of its own.
I see your point about the Schutzhund work, but at least your German Engineered dogs can fit in your Mercedes easily.

Last edited by paulp; 01-01-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the update - and here is Crazy Horse at the MacDill AFB Airfest in 2007. Sorry about the lousy focus. I was using a 400mm handheld telephoto with manual zoom and manual focus for the airbatics, and couldn't change them fast enough from the fliers when the plane taxied by.

Sorry - got called away to feed some hungry pups. Added this after your reply, below.

Here's Crazy Horse with an F-86, also at the 2007 Airfest - better focus

And leading the Honor Flight flyby with the same F-86, an F-16, and an F-15.

As a cadet at the AF Academy, I just missed out on a chance to fly from Oxnard, CA to the North American plant at Palmdale with Bob Hoover in his 2-seater Mustang. Hoover had put on one of his fantastic shows for us at Oxnard. The rest of us went on in a C-123. But, the great stuff is we got to see the first XB-70 being assembled - it was on jacks, having the landing gear installed. We were briefed on and shown honeycomb structures, relatively new for aircraft at the time.

Then we got a briefing from Kelly Johnson, designer of the U-2 - but didn't get to visit his (Lockheed's) Skunk Works, which is also at Palmdale. The reason was that Johnson's newest, the YF-12A and the SR-71 were there and under wraps; they were not announced to the public until a year later (when Pres. Lyndon Johnson inadvertently let it slip that they existed).

Fun times.

Definitely visit TICO (the Warbirds museum) - TDWD in your SLK. And if you run into a guy by the name of Ron Davis, tell him Warren says hi; and ask him if in his home town of Live Oak, FL, they still roll the sidewalks up after 6 PM, and just call it Oak. If he laughs and says yes, then see if you'll both be at the Udvar-Hazy Center at Dulles at the same time. He'll show you around.
Attached Thumbnails my xmas present to myself .. merry xmas to you all!-dsc_2658.jpg   my xmas present to myself .. merry xmas to you all!-p-51-f-86.jpg   my xmas present to myself .. merry xmas to you all!-honor-flight-1.jpg  

Last edited by Skylaw; 01-01-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:10 PM

Thanks for the update - and here is Crazy Horse at the MacDill AFB Airfest in 2007. Sorry about the lousy focus. I was using a 400mm handheld telephoto with manual focus for the airbatics, and couldn't change the focus fast enough from the fliers when the plane taxied by.

Wow, Thanks. That has to be soooo much fun to fly. I have given hints that a flight would make a great Birthday present but the wife & kids haven't come through yet. I may have to give myself a present like Shaw01 did with his watch.

Last edited by paulp; 01-01-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:48 PM

Thanks for the update - and here is Crazy Horse at the MacDill AFB Airfest in 2007. Sorry about the lousy focus. I was using a 400mm handheld telephoto with manual zoom and manual focus for the airbatics, and couldn't change them fast enough from the fliers when the plane taxied by.

Sorry - got called away to feed some hungry pups. Added this after your reply, below.

Here's Crazy Horse with an F-86, also at the 2007 Airfest - better focus

And leading the Honor Flight flyby with the same F-86, an F-16, and an F-15.

As a cadet at the AF Academy, I just missed out on a chance to fly from Oxnard, CA to the North American plant at Palmdale with Bob Hoover in his 2-seater Mustang. Hoover had put on one of his fantastic shows for us at Oxnard. The rest of us went on in a C-123. But, the great stuff is we got to see the first XB-70 being assembled - it was on jacks, having the landing gear installed. We were briefed on and shown honeycomb structures, relatively new for aircraft at the time.

Then we got a briefing from Kelly Johnson, designer of the U-2 - but didn't get to visit his (Lockheed's) Skunk Works, which is also at Palmdale. The reason was that Johnson's newest, the YF-12A and the SR-71 were there and under wraps; they were not announced to the public until a year later (when Pres. Lyndon Johnson inadvertently let it slip that they existed).

Fun times.

Definitely visit TICO (the Warbirds museum) - TDWD in your SLK. And if you run into a guy by the name of Ron Davis, tell him Warren says hi; and ask him if in his home town of Live Oak, FL, they still roll the sidewalks up after 6 PM, and just call it Oak. If he laughs and says yes, then see if you'll both be at the Udvar-Hazy Center at Dulles at the same time. He'll show you around.
Just happen to come back to this thread to reread and look at the pictures. What a pleasant surprise to see the additional pictures and information. I guess I didn't get the email notification because of the order of the posts?
I love the new pictures, they are great Thank You. I'll see if Ron is at TICO when I go, and I will give him your regards.
Thanks for the great information and pictures. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed it!

Paul